Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to tint MK4 headlights ?

Michael P

I'm interested in tinting my headlights on my MK4

I have seen that you sand, prime, paint the silver bits outside the beam area but i am not too sure

Any hints or tips or guides on how to do this would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm interested in tinting my headlights on my MK4

I have seen that you sand, prime, paint the silver bits outside the beam area but i am not too sure

Any hints or tips or guides on how to do this would be greatly appreciated :)

Sounds illegal to me, how would you do it?

i have seen it done before and its what car companies do to their own lights

i think its where the beam of light never shines, so around the edge of the headlight and just underneath the beams.

I wouldn't do anything to risk being illegal, but i have seen it done before

Like this?

IMG_3986.jpg

I'm sure I've heard someone I know that had this done before. It's legal, but there's a certain transparency you need to have to render it legal.

But DON'T quote me on that, get some research done on it first to see if it's OK on UK roads. Should look good if you can.

If you can I'd imagine you could do it cheaply like you'd tint the rear lights, with a tint spray from Halfords or something.

I'm sure I've heard someone I know that had this done before. It's legal, but there's a certain transparency you need to have to render it legal.

But DON'T quote me on that, get some research done on it first to see if it's OK on UK roads. Should look good if you can.

If you can I'd imagine you could do it cheaply like you'd tint the rear lights, with a tint spray from Halfords or something.

Not like that, something like this

tints.jpg

Oh i see what you mean now. Personally I wouldnt bother, plus it might not look as good on your car cos its silver. Having said that I woulnt have bothered doing that with my mk4 and that a black one.... Its an easy job though, looks ok(ish) so long as you do a good job of it.....

Oh i see what you mean now. Personally I wouldnt bother, plus it might not look as good on your car cos its silver. Having said that I woulnt have bothered doing that with my mk4 and that a black one.... Its an easy job though, looks ok(ish) so long as you do a good job of it.....

do you know exactly (or there abouts!) how to do it ?

do you know exactly (or there abouts!) how to do it ?

Yeah I think you have to take the reflector out of the lens, mask the cones around the holes where the bulbs would come through then the areas around the cones need to be

1. cleaned

2. sanded

3. cleaned

4. primed

5. painted

I am thinking that a Matt black paint would be best for the job, as opposed to gloss

Yeah I think you have to take the reflector out of the lens, mask the cones around the holes where the bulbs would come through then the areas around the cones need to be

1. cleaned

2. sanded

3. cleaned

4. primed

5. painted

I am thinking that a Matt black paint would be best for the job, as opposed to gloss

Thanks so much for that, i shall investigate tomorrow when i give the car a deep clean!

I shall see how easy the headlights are to take off, get disapproving looks off the father, and then when i get paid i shall do it!

Thanks so much for that, i shall investigate tomorrow when i give the car a deep clean!

I shall see how easy the headlights are to take off, get disapproving looks off the father, and then when i get paid i shall do it!

Real easy to take them out, its also in the manual, cos you have to take them out to fit new bulbs

Real easy to take them out, its also in the manual, cos you have to take them out to fit new bulbs

Of course! i didn't think of that. They shall be out and i shall investigate!

• 10 months later...

Of course! i didn't think of that. They shall be out and i shall investigate!

Hi, Do you want them tinted or a difrent shade light bulb?

Well, erm, this was started nearly a year ago

I just did it by putting black electrical tape around the edge of the light on the inside. Job's a gudden.

Well, erm, this was started nearly a year ago

I just did it by putting black electrical tape around the edge of the light on the inside. Job's a gudden.

So you falling back in love with yeh car then mike.

No, i think i tinted the headlights last July, this thread is from June 2009!!

No, i think i tinted the headlights last July, this thread is from June 2009!!

O right so it is i see now.

or you coluld just do this.

head.jpg

cool!

any instructions or info on how to do such thing?

thanks!