Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max 2.0 Tdci Engine Malfunction Light

Fornelo

1 hour ago, jorgemef said:

I found following DTC in this order: C15100; C42268; C41568; C41668; C42068.

U0151: Comms fail to RCM

U0422: Comms fail to BCM

U0415: Comms fail to ABS

U0416: Comms fail to V.dynamics (ESP)

U0420: Comms fail to Steering.

That is a fairly comprehensive list of CAN bus errors. It looks rather like some sort of connector or wiring problem on the HS CAN bus. With Forscan, you can clear the codes, and see what comes back and when. If modules can not communicate, then the car will not do regens, it needs to have everything working ok (engine wise at least) to do a regen.

It is also possible that one faulty module is sending data when it should not, and corrupting transfers between the other modules. The time when the code re-appears might help identify a suspect.

• 3 weeks later...

I cleaned the earth points under the hood, cleaned dtc codes and after a ride I got the following:
U0405 invalid data received from cruise control
C1022 - right side steering wheel switch electronic internal failure
81128 steering wheel module mecanical failure.

In the past, cruise control failed to activate, but now runs ok.

I tried static regeneration with forscan and it ended successefull after 20 minutes, but there was no acceleration at all which I found strange.

Reseting dtc and turning the steering I get immidiatly u0405 and c1022.
Not sure if those could influence regeneration. I dont notice strange behaviour in the car except the MIL when running hot in highway for a long time.

Enviado do meu SM-G930F através do Tapatalk

6 hours ago, jorgemef said:

Reseting dtc and turning the steering I get immidiatly u0405 and c1022.

I would suspect the steering column clock spring unit. A little crack in one track, or a bad connection in a connector, could well do that.

There is no logical reason why a Vehicle dynamics error should affect a static regen, but it could affect ECU operation while driving. There is a logical link from vehicle dynamics to ECU to control torque.

Whether it will affect highway regens is anybody's guess. The software on these PSA engine cars seems to defy all normal logic in many ways!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this issue recently  with engine malfunction and stability control light coming on, mechanic hopes to have solved by replacing the throttle body, also has found one of the vacuum pumps on the rhs of engine running abnormally hot (showing as 80c, using his thermal imaging camera) so we're going to replace that aswell. 

Ive bought modified elm lead from eBay so if its not sorted will be able to look into it a bit more my self. 

Had the car back from the garage for a couple of days and the ESP light and engine malfunction message have come back today 😢

used my elm and forscan to have a look and it come up with this:

===PCM DTC P003A:16-2D===
Code: P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit

Additional Fault Symptom:
 - Circuit Voltage Below Threshold

- DTC Present at Time of Request
 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC P003A:16-2D===

===ABS DTC B1B69:16-08===
Code: B1B69 - 12 Volt Supply Circuit

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request

Module: Antilock braking system

===END ABS DTC B1B69:16-08===

===ABS DTC U0401:68-48===
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM

- Event Information

- Test not complete

===END ABS DTC U0401:68-48===

===PSCM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Power Steering Control Module

===END PSCM DTC None===

===BCMii DTC None===

Module: Body Control Module

===END BCMii DTC None===

I reset the codes and went for a 30min drive, had no lights or warning messages during the drive.

and reconnected forscan and rescanned and it come up with this:

===PCM DTC P003A:16-28===
Code: P003A - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Position Exceeded Learning Limit

===END PCM DTC P003A:16-28===

===PSCM DTC None===

===END PSCM DTC None===

===BCMii DTC None===

===END BCMii DTC None===

So all the same ones there again but does " - Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request" mean it's just remembering an old code from before and its not from the 30 min drive I just did?

where should I be looking to fix this please?

thanks

3 hours ago, Robdav99 said:

where should I be looking to fix this please?

I think my first area to investigate would be the battery and charging system. Including cables and contacts. One fault specifically links to supply voltage, and both the others could be due to voltage variations. Too high, too low, too much ripple, or sudden variations are all possible causes. Simple inspections and voltmeter tests are a start, but it might need more in-depth testing of alternator and battery if no faults are seen immediately.

I am not sure about the "present at time of request" bit. I always re-run the read DTC test a couple of times after clearing DTCs, to make sure none come back straight away, or after just an ignition cycle or engine start-stop. Also DTCs can become "not currently set" after just one ignition off-on cycle. So without additional tests, you can not read much into it.

Thanks for the reply, I noticed alot seems to be voltage related. So I'll have a look at the wiring over the weekend. 

I put the live data on and the values where=

Ign on engine off = 12.3v

Engine on = 14.2v

Engine cranking 8.5v

Engine cranking voltage seems abit low so possibly a weak battery

2 hours ago, Robdav99 said:

Engine cranking voltage seems abit low so possibly a weak battery? 

Unless that was a really cold start, then it does sound low.  The battery CCA rating is based on 7.2v. But that is at -18C and for 30sec at full current. So 8.5v is adequate, but could indicate it is getting a bit high impedance, and less able to absorb all the ripple and surges that happen while the car is being used.

ESP and engine malfunction again on short drive to pick kids up form school. Came on at low speed but on steep hill so engine will have been boosting.

Lots of electrical related codes now:

===PCM DTC P003A:16-2D===

===END PCM DTC P003A:16-2D===

===PCM DTC P2263:73-64===
Code: P2263 - Turbo / Super Charge Boost System Performance

- Actuator Stuck Closed

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
 - Test not complete

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Possible causes :

An electrical fault in the Turbocharger control circuit.

MAP sensor electrical failure.

Inspect connectors for signs of damage, water ingress, corrosion, etc.

If the code is set at idle renew the turbocharger. If the code is not set at idle investigate faults with the MAP.

===END PCM DTC P2263:73-64===

===OBDII DTC P2263-P===

- Pending - malfunction is expected to be confirmed 

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

Possible causes :

If the code is set at idle renew the turbocharger. If the code is not set at idle investigate faults with the MAP.

===END OBDII DTC P2263-P===

===SASM DTC None===

Module: Steering Angle Sensor Module

===END SASM DTC None===

There could be a low supply voltage and it is below the threshold level for the system to operate.

There could be a high supply voltage and it is above the threshold level for the system to operate.

There will be other DTCs set in the ABS module.

There are DTCs for other modules.

===ABS DTC U3001:00-08===
Code: U3001 - Control Module Improper Shutdown

===END ABS DTC U3001:00-08===

===ABS DTC U0401:68-48===
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM

- Event Information

- Test not complete

===PSCM DTC U3006:16-28===
Code: U3006 - Control Module Input Power A

===END PSCM DTC U3006:16-28===

===BCMii DTC None===

===END BCMii DTC None===

Ive got a new battery to fit but the one Ive just taken off looks very new also.

Might have to take back to garage 😞

fitted new battery, cleared codes.

Went for a drive and gave it a bit of a thrashing (me and the wife are quite sedate drivers usually) and engine malfunction came on but NO ESP this time.

got home and reread code:

===PCM DTC P0234:00-64===
Code: P0234 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Overboost Condition

- Test not complete

===END PCM DTC P0234:00-64===

===PCM DTC P010F:00-64===
Code: P010F - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor A/B Correlation

- Test not complete

This DTC is caused by a large difference between measured and predicted air flow.

This DTC may be caused by :

Air leak between the MAF sensor and the air intake throttle.

Faulty ACT sensor.

To perform the following test the PCM must be reprogrammed to the latest level calibration.

With a cold engine, check the IAT2 signal in the DataLogger.  The temperature reading should be close to ambient.  If it is not, replace the ACT sensor.

Faulty MAP sensor

Faulty MAF sensor

===END PCM DTC P010F:00-64===

So overboost and a boost leak? related to the turbo actuator stuck code from earlier possibly?

live data shows a strange reading on turbo vane control, a reading ranging from approx 140v to -140v.  That is supposed to be between 0v and 5v isnt it?

55 minutes ago, Robdav99 said:

ive data shows a strange reading on turbo vane control, a reading ranging from approx 140v to -140v.  That is supposed to be between 0v and 5v isnt it?

Funny you should say that, it triggered a faint memory, and yes, someone else got readings of about -150mV to +150mV from a 2l Mondeo. S-Max is virtually the same. We worked out that there is a software error, either in the car or in Forscan, that offsets this signal so it seems to jump about. I re-proceesed his data to reconstruct the signal a bit, and it made a lot more sense.

Basically that odd, jumpy signal seems to be normal for this car, it is not the actuator, just software. Making sense of it is possible, but hard work.

One to test here is ACT (Air Charge Temperature). IAT2 is another name for this sensor. If that reads wrong, then the calculated air flow will be wrong, and will not agree with the MAF reading, which you are seeing. See if you can get IAT2 readings to appear in Forscan. Also, as with all these DTCs, keep testing to see if a pattern emerges, with certain codes reliably appearing under certain conditions.

For the funny Turbo data, See:

We never really got anywhere with the underlying problem in that thread, though. It went from Turbo to wiring & alternator problems, then as other things were going wrong with the car, Darren P.Exed it for a Focus or something.

• Like 1

Ok thanks very much for your help. I'll have a look at the IAT2 data tomorrow and also going to have a look at the turbo position sensor and wiring see whats going on there.

I read somewhere that the PCM outputting the 140v to -140v data could be the PCM is damaged/corrupted? They are located somewhere, where water can get into them?

I really like the car so hope it doesn't come to part ex'ing it in.

Here to help!

As Peter mentioned, I never got to the bottom of my problems which seem slightly related to your own, albeit, not exactly.

The pre 2010 models of the Mondeo had no end of electrical gremlins, I realise yours isnt a Mondeo but whatever I can do to help, let me know!

good start point before getting too bogged down is to Check all the ground points in the engine bay, the Mondeo had 3 or 4 on ether side of the engine bay plus the main strap to the NSF strut mount.  Inside the car there was another 3 on either side of the car in the front foot well, right in the middle of the door.

Im pretty sure my issues were with the ABS or PCM module itself and since the ABS is a royal pain in the bum to replace and I didn't want to Shell out for a new PCM, I canned it and got a Mk 3.5 Focus 😄 

if you place the car in Key On Engine Off, forscan will happily read the turbo actuator position sensor, I was able to use a small piece of plastic flex pipe connected to the line from the actuator position sensor to the boost solenoid, you could use a vacuum pump to then check for a solid seal in the pipes and for good movement in the actuator whilst watching forscan. 

I didn't see any turbo actuator position warnings so im not sure you should get too bogged down with that path just yet. id be more likely to focus on the MAP and MAF first.

If the SMax is was designed by the same numpty as the Mondeo Mk4, then the PCM is located in NSF bumper right by the wheel arch, right about the location most people clip bollards or bump in to cars when parking 🙂 

• Like 1

little bit of an update, still not sorted it.

Had a good look around the engine bay this evening, no sign of damage to any wiring, connections or vacuum pipes.

I removed and cleaned the actuator position sensor and connector.

I keep clearing codes and the same one keeps coming back.

===PCM DTC P2263:73-27===

- Actuator Stuck Closed

Possible causes :

===END PCM DTC P2263:73-27===

The actuator position sensor readings alter depending on engine load, revs, throttle position so the actuator is moving, whether it is moving enough or correctly is another question. I can't seem to get a good view of the turbo actuator arm from any angle to see how much it is moving. (any tips on how to gain better access to it?)

I've managed to get a video of it on my phone with the engine off and it doesn't look to be in the correct position for "engine off" to me. I'll link to video below.

Turbo seems to keep boosting for a second or so after throttle is released, is that normal?

Exhaust gas is very very sooty aswell I've noticed, left a black mark on road where Ive been reving it.

Im starting to lean towards sticky turbo vanes, what do you think?

I'll link to a screen shot of some live forscan data with engine idling, anything look unusual? 

Sorry for long post.

youtube video 

Thanks

IMG_20190409_185537.jpg

3 hours ago, Robdav99 said:

I'll link to a screen shot of some live forscan data with engine idling, anything look unusual? 

That DP_DPF figure looks extremely high. I would expect just a few kPa at idle. If it is right, then it would be affecting Turbo performance badly. But I would have thought it would be raising DPF error codes too!

Yes I did notice that, the value never seems to change either, surely it should increase with revs? The distance since last completed regeneration allways stays on 0km aswell. 

What could be going on there? 

When it isn't going into limp mode for the main issue it drives beautifully. 

Could the car have had a dodgy remap to delete the dpf or something? 

Egr error being nearly 100% isn't right either is it? 

10 hours ago, Robdav99 said:

Could the car have had a dodgy remap to delete the dpf or something? 

That sounds the most likely thing. The lack of DPF error codes and 0km since regen would stack up with that.

It is possible the DPF DP sensor is not connected, may not even exist. So the reading may just be full range from open circuit wires.

I have not seen the EGR_Err PID before, so can not say if that is right. There is a facility in Forscan that gives a little bit of info on each PID, See if that says anything useful. If the EGR has been blanked off, which is common along with DPF delete, then it would quite likely give 100% error, as there would be no flow when the ECU expects it.

Thanks for the reply. The fun of owning cars with irresponsible previous owners 😞

What do you think of the turbo actuator position in the video? Does it look stuck? Should it be resting on the threaded bump stop at the bottom? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robdav99 said:

What do you think of the turbo actuator position in the video? Does it look stuck? Should it be resting on the threaded bump stop at the bottom? 

I doubt if the actuator piston rod should rest on a stop at either end. More likely the stops are in the turbo, so the rotating crank should stop with some movement left in the piston rod. That makes assembly less critical, reducing tolerance stack-up.

A simple vacuum piston / diaphragm operated arm should be fairly easy to move by hand, or even finger if awkward to reach, when no vacuum is applied, against its spring. I saw no movement in the video, but that may be expected at idle.

Its far too early to say but we've had an engine malfunction FREE day today. 

I put a 500ml bottle of Wynns Diesel turbo cleaner in 3/4 full tank of fuel and went for a bit of a thrash and a bit of cruise along a dual carriageway 70-90 and we've been fault free so far. 

It could be a coincidence but the fault would occur on almost every journey before hand so hopefully something has fixed. 

Will keep updated. 

IMG_20190410_195841.jpg

Another day another fault code.

===PCM DTC P003A:16-6C===

- Test not complete

===END PCM DTC P003A:16-6C===

car is running so much better since the fuel additive was put in, but something still isn't happy.

The code refers to the lower limit of variable vane control, latest version of forscan shows vane position as a % now instead of voltage which is much more use.

At idle vane position is around 99.5 - 100%, as you press the throttle vane position % lowers as expected.

When you let off the throttle vane position quickly snaps back to 100%, some times 100.50%.

I think it is that extra 0.5% that is the "circuit voltage below threshold" that is bringing up the fault code.

Does that sound plausible? what could be causing it?

Ive read somewhere it could be as simple as using the knurled threaded adjuster on the actuator bar to wind it back a bit?

Also have this code aswell, god knows what it refers to but seems common for the car to throw a generic abs fault at the same time as an pcm fault.

ABS DTC U0401:68-48===
Code: U0401 - Invalid Data Received from  ECM/PCM A

- Event Information

- Test not complete

16 hours ago, Robdav99 said:

god knows what it refers to but seems common for the car to throw a generic abs fault at the same time as an pcm fault.

With comms errors like that, that have no symptoms or warning lights linked to them, all you can do is note them down, clear and ignore. Most likely is is a side effect of either the pcm detecting the turbo error, or even the actions of the diagnostic system (Forscan & ELM) as it uses the bus to extract data.

If some ABS related fault does develop later, and you can see an increasing trail of comms errors leading up to it, then it might help in diagnosing the fault, but that is not likely, just a general possibility.

With the over limit turbo error, 0.5% sounds a bit small to generate a DTC, car systems are usually a bit more error tolerant than that. Also there is normally a gradual learning process all the time, within limits. So it might adjust to the new movement if the cleaner has freed off a sticky actuator. There are also options in Forscan to reset adaptions, that can speed up learning, and service procedures to learn limits for replaced items like EGRs, Turbos etc. Though I think you need full Windows Forscan to use service procedures.

I have not seen or tested this actuator, so can not tell if there is some critical manual adjustment. This sort of adjustment was very common on older cars, ever set up a Twin SU Carb system? But it is a thing of the past now really, cars are slapped together quickly, and software is used to make all the adjustments needed for tolerances.

Hi all. I am new to the forum and have just purchased a second hand smax from a dealer. Not Ford though. The car on the motorway when changing into 6th gear had the engine malfunction light come on. I turned the car off and on and this was still there. We carried on driving the car as the light was amber and called the AA. his diagnostic tool said the map sensor was sticking. He cleaned it and now just before the turbo kicks in it shudders. Is it sticking as he didn't clean his cleaner off maybe?

Thanks all

10 hours ago, Leroy brown said:

Is it sticking as he didn't clean his cleaner off maybe?

A MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor cannot really stick, there are no moving parts. The diaphragm in it just deflects by a tiny amount, which creates an electrical signal at the terminals of the device. It is possible the problem was in the connector to the MAP, or its pressure sensing port could have been blocked with solid oily deposits.

Without knowing what the original error code was, and what codes, if any, are being set now, it is very hard to say much about what the fault can be. If you are still getting MAP related error codes, then it would be worth replacing it. They are one of the cheaper parts that might be the problem.