Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Dashboard Died Again

Trix14

Hey everyone. Recently i had an issue where my accelerator gauge wasn't working, and i was suggested to replace the speed sensor, which i did. Cost around £20 to buy then £20 to have fitted, bargain!

Car worked perfect after that for about a month. Then the other day, i had a long trip out in the car and all worked fine, came home and went to asda. Came out, started up the car and it stuttered a tiny bit then kicked in.

That's when i noticed, none of the gauges was working. Not the temp, fuel, revs, accelerator. The clock thats in the middle of the dash near the radio now doesn't show, the interior lights won't work no matter where i move the switch too.

The car runs fine still, i've driven to work and back the past two days like it but obviously i have no idea of my speed or fuel etc.

If i use my indicators, they flash up on the dash board, so i know its not completely dead.

Any ideas what this could be? I did wonder and hope it might just be a fuse thing, and not something stupidly expensive!

Thanks for any help

Sounds to me like you now have a faulty instrument cluster! you will need to get it repaired or replaced - repair is from £60 - £150 depending on where you go, but that should hopefully resolve the issue.

Check fuses first and relays if you can otherwise what james said.

Sounds like a fuse to me though, indicator/hazards will always work regardless, those have direct power from thr battery

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hey all, thanks for the previous replies. Going by them i ended up purchasing a dashboard from eBay that was marked as a being from a Ford Focus Zetec Petrol.

I have no idea what 'Zetec' means :p (Useless with cars). Mine is a MK1 Ford Focus 02 reg.

Anyway. It arrived and i had it fitted at a garage. £50 to fit it. They phoned up and said it was all done and working ok. I drove off, got down the road, and realised that was not the case.

All of the gauges on the dashboard are working fine on the new one i bought so now i can see my speed, and petrol etc. But now the following does not work:

Indicators are dead, moving the stick up and down does nothing at all.

Wipers on front screen won't work on the first click up, but does on second and third.

Rear wipers don't work at all.

Clock in middle of the car is dead

Front window heater button is dead

Rear window heater button is dead

Air con button is dead

Air circulating button is dead

I feel incredibly deflated right now. I can't afford to keep buying new bits and going around in circles, and feel really ripped off by the guy/garage who sold me the car in the first place.

I found another cluster on eBay, and messaged the guy and explained whats been going on, and asked if he had any issues with his dashboard. He was pretty honest and helpful, and even told me to check all my fuses before i buy another dashboard.

I've checked my fuses behind the glove box, and there are various ones missing all of the place. But, any i checked that would link to the above errors, are all fine. All of the above worked fine with the old dashboard, it seems to be this new one thats now broken them.

The new one i am looking at buying on eBay is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK12-SPEEDO-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-SPEEDO-19992004-DONE-153000-Miles-/261517502559

If anyone has any suggestions or advice i would really appreciate it, i'm running out of hope/ideas

It wont be the cluster i doubt it was to start with an earth fault is common on that year the cluster has nothing to do with any of those electrics so to be honest i think you wasted youre money dont buy a cluster take it to a garage and have it looked at it could be an earth fault in the engine bay a connector loose on the fusebox or water has got into the fuses from the pollen filter the pass carpet will be wet underneath

I agree with Arthur I'd be looking for a faulty earth especially round the gear box as they might of disturb that one when doing the speed sensor cos a lot of your probs listed above stem from after they were working in that area so that's where I would start .

This is probably not an earth fault, speaking from experience... There is only the drop down fuse box a harness that controls all of these things. Drop the fuse board down, remove all harnesses and refit securely. I would be surprised if this doesn't fix your issue

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Only reason i suggested am earth fault was on the mk1 i had i had electrical issues traced to the eart wire in the engine bay but it does sound more like a connector

Not sure if this will help but I Had this happen on a previous car (306), I just removed the fuse and put it back in and all was good after.

I don't disagree with you Arthur, it could still be an earth fault but having had this as a simple issue before I would at least check that side first

Thank you all for the comments, it's much appreciated. I definitely have a dodgy wire somewhere as if i punch my cd player (don't ask lol) it turns off, or on. Sometimes it will turn off by itself.

What Jay87 said was interesting though. The other day, i checked the fuses by removing them and seeing if they were broke, and putting them back in. They were fine. I only checked about 3 though, one of them being the indicators.

Last night driving to work, i pressed a button on the dash for the air con and nothing happened (no light etc). Then i hit the indicator stick and it worked! All the way to work, and all the way home i could indicate with no problem. Heck, i indicated for turns i wasn't even going to take just for the hell of it!

So, maybe because i removed the fuse and put it back in, that fixed the indicators? I'm scared to touch any other fuses or buttons incase it stops my indicators working again!

It won't hurt anything pulling the fuses and reseating them :-)

Well it seems my indicators are working again, so are my wipers both front and back, and also my heated front and back windows. The only things i have that don't work now are:

Clock is dead

Air Con button is dead

Recycle air button is dead

I've looked at fuses and am lost as to which one to remove. So i thought i would try uploading some photos here of my fusebox and see if anyone has any idea? I even have some missing which i'm not sure if thats good or not.

post-53847-0-74893500-1406044952_thumb.j

have a look at Stoney871's signature, he has a link to a fuseboard map for the MK1.5 this should help you :)

Could just be a bad connection on the fuse due to dirt? It's worth pulling them and cleaning it off

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks, i looked at his signature and only saw a diagram for a mk2 fuse board. Are they the same?

Not the same.

I'll dig up a mk1/1.5 diagram for you later tonight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

That was really helpful, thank you! I pulled out the number 58 fuse, which it says was for the air con and air recirculator, and sadly it didn't fix the problem :( Really need the air con back in this heat!

I also checked the clock fuse and it has blown, so i am going to be brave, and go to Halfords to buy a new fuse!!

Liam,

If you want some fuses I have a load for sale (check my signature) I will do an array of fuses for cheaper than Halfords if its any use to you/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club