Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locking Wheel Nut Removal?

martyntdci

i was working on a lads car yesterday out side me house, and was just tightening his wheels nuts up and it clicked to me.....

"when they broke in the car last weekend they took my locking nut key..... ford want 80+vat for removal, and a extra 60+vat for a new set fitting, how fooking ridiculous"...

ive tried ringing round garages/tyre firms and no body wants to know, i must of rang around 20 this morning...

even tried the 2 break down companies we're with, they just said that they would tow the car to a garage that can sort it as they dont carry these tools.... i just said !Removed! invest in some then....

tried looking in the handbook for the original key code so ford "can order 1 from Germany" but its not there..

so what ive done for the time being, ive gone to general motors and bought a aftermarket febi set and put these on the rims as well (now i have 2 locking nuts lol) so if they come back to the car and try n steal the wheels, at least they are kinda protected.....

ive looked into welding a nut onto the original locking nut so i can try and get it off (i only pinch them up, never as tight as the others) but they have a stainless spinning collar so i doubt my weld will stick.... (mig)

so now im asking for others advice if they have been/know of anybody who has been in the same situ....

thanks for reading.............

At work we remove the collar an weld a bolt onto it and remove it. May damage the wheel doing it tho.

Ford have a master set that can remoce it and if your locking nut is in good condition they will be able to remove them within mins.

A new set is around £40 + vat from what i remember but the new shape fiestas are more due to diffrent lock nuts being used.

What do you mean by you "nip them up" do you do them to the correct torque setting? Its sound abit worrying

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

I had the same issue mate when mine went up the swanny on my Focus a few years ago!

when one went altogether, I had to have the wheel axle ground off, it was shattered and sheared and no way of coming out.

Later, I just called my local dealer, I get on really well with them and probably bought a brand new car in all the repair bills I had taking my car to them, they just said pop down and give a lad some beer money and we will get them off. 20 minutes later, and a fiver lighter they had them off and I put some standard nuts on (no locking ones at all).

how does the collar come off? il have a go at welding a nut onto the end if it will stick.... i dont pinch the lockers up as much as the others, a tad less torque just incase i have trouble..... (like this for instance)....

tbf all the wheels could do with a re-furb at some stage, at face valve they look ok, but when you delve deeper they look a tad tired....

all locking nuts are in mint condition. this type

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_870971_langId_-1_categoryId_262855

i just want them off now... a quick fit garage suggested getting a little angle grinder on them, cutting a nip into the locker and try n chisel it off.... but i don't want any of the neighbors finding out, as i recon 1 of the !Removed! done it....

Chisel and hammer should be fine, should be no need for an axle grinder.

but then how does the spinning collar come off? i recon mr jeeves will know lmao

basically you just chip at it until you break through, then just pull it off like a bad seal.

If your gong to try spotwelding it with an old socket, then you wont necessarily need to take them off, but it makes life easier!

If you can get the edge of a chisel in the key hole, a little gentle persuasion with an anticlockwise aimed hammer should start rotating the nut off. The fact you haven't used the tyre fitters favourite tool should give you a fair chance.

If you're really lucky, you might not even damage the wheel

Sent from my SM-P600 using Ford OC mobile app

i never let any tyre fitted use a air gun, they go !Removed! trigger happy lol.... when ever i have tyre's fitted i supply my breaker bar n sockets, and steve (the fitter) knows how i feel against them impact guns..... tbh the nuts are pinched up, but not very tight at all, but tight enough (if u know what i mean)

gonna take the car to work tomorrow, get it in the shed, n try welding a nut on there and use a socket to get it off..... just dont know what the lockers are made off..... mayb stainless collar and rusty steel nut lol

Wheels should be to the correct torque. Not pinched up. Sorry to be a buzz kill but ive saw the damage a loose wheel/over tigtened one does and its dam dangerous.

On a plesant note.. hope its goes ok tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Quick (hopefully not too late) word of warning.

Having once had the displeasure of trying to remove a well rounded off wheel bolt (someone obviously thought they were tightening the bolts to hold down a Saturn V) and done what the next sentence describes; it's not a nice feeling.

If you're welding something (socket, nut etc.) onto the locking nuts then you must put the earth lead clamp onto one of the other studs/bolts/brakedrum/brakedisc on the same wheel hub.

If you put the clamp anywhere on the car body (or non-rotating part of the suspension/hub assembly) then the welding current will have to pass through the wheel bearings which mullers them a treat; i.e. the bearings are either welded solid or have flat spots (cobbled street effect).

• Like 1

Never would have considered anything of that nature Rob! good advice!

Martin get an over size socket and tap it on with a hammer that's how I remove them even managed to get the neighbours spinning lock nuts off like that as for a new set I am getting rid of my 2.0 has a set on there how much are they worth you tel me if you want them .

i never thought of that neither, so i just clamp it onto the disc and im ok just tacking a nut on with the mig, without doing any further damage? thanks for that

Oh by the way Martin have you thought why they took the socket/key think about it I'd be keepin a close eye on me wheels

Forget that second post did read your post properly

i have another set of lockers on there purchased this morning from gm factors, just a cheap febi set. i only remembered last night about the locker nut... so in theory the car has sat outside for a week, but no messers i got 2 camera's on it now full 24hr recording....

good job mate, hopefully you dont have issues with the catchment area of the camera field!

already been through this with the local plod.... i just said i aint bothered in the law, im just protecting my own property after whats happened..... and she said there mayb a loop if you can cut the vid and just show what happens....

yeah, just be careful, last thing you want is a complaint to the police from a local resident!

Hopefully it shouldnt be a problem, but just be careful of it!

tbf im not really bothered in what local residents think.... the ppl i know around within 4 streets know i have cctv and know what the crack is..... as for the cctv pic angle, it does take up quite a wide view to be fair, both camera's have a night vision of upto 50m and cover around 16-20m in width so its they are not on my side, but i have no software or anything what i can adjust the angle with, so thats how it is..... 2 camera's 800tvl and a 500g recorder cost around the 200 mark....

Did you sort your wheel nuts out in the end?

I had the same issue and went to ford. Well better off talking to a !Removed! brick wall.

Took it to a local garage. (never been there before) and asked the mechanic if he could whip them off somehow.

He used an air sander to get a grove in the rotating collar the pulled out a hammer and chisel.

20 mins later and £20 lighter I had all 4 locking nuts off the car.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

He did scratch the alloys slightly but the Mrs gad previously !Removed! them anyway so I wasn't too bothered.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

i tried the over sized socket and had no luck, the socket was a 24mm and tbh it was quite a squeeze getting it onto the nut and trying not to damage the alloy...... anyway, ive found the locker number from out of car wallet and ordered a new key from ford for 25 notes..... so they i can take the 1's off from the car and sell them either on here if any interest or on eBay.........

25 notess? you did a good job on that!

My dealer wanted 60+

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club