Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Protecting The Car?

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So a few weeks ago I had my car vandelised. Some plank keyed the car because they cant park for toffee!

Anyway...

So I am trying to repair the car, tried to cover up the scratches and make it a little better. The question is what I can do to protect it in the future (aside parking my car on the moon to stop it happening).

So the next jobs, once the paintwork is a little better painted is as follows:

1) Give it a thorough washing

2) Work out how to get the haze back to a shine

(should I be spraying lacquer on it, then buffing the lacquer with Scratch X or something so it all blends in?)

3) Once i have the scratches tidied, and the bodywork in a relatively good state, I then want to polish it enough to the best shine (but it needs to be a good value product as I am on a tight budget these days!)

4) then I want to lock in the shine and give the car a second "shell" if you will so that if any fool decides to play the key game that they only scratch say the outer Shell and not the lacquer / paint and down to primer.

Is this even possible really?

Ta :D

Any body got any idea's?

There are too many products on the market lol!

In answer to no4, The short answer is no James. There is no sealant or wax that will stop deep scratches.....

Have a look at this for your paintwork:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/werkstat-acrylic-kit-cat1.html

A good decontamination before you start and you'll be sorted.

When you say "haze" do you mean swirl marks/marring?

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks Kris,

Shame there isnt such a product on the market!

Nah its basically where I have been trying to pain in the scratch, once I have ut the etra paint on, I have then sanded it down (over the scratch) and because I was using a 3000grit sandpaper, I had to remove some of the lacquer from around the scratches, so this is what I want to shine up again. Short of spraying another layer of lacquer, I head that you can use something else (something like scratch X) to remove the haze and bring it back to a shine?

Now I'm getting you! Depends how bad it is. I get something similar with the bike where my knees touch the tank.

Every 6 months or so, I polish the area with a very fine grade finishing polish, then layer a glaze to mask/hide the bad bit. I then apply my sealant.

The bike is easy because it has soft paint. It gets far harder when you have intermediate or hard and I would say the Ford's are closer to the hard end of the scale. It's basically a waste of time trying it this way without a machine polisher.

Polishing properly is far more complex than most people think. Post a pic and get Pete80 involved in the thread. I've seen a few posts of his that would suggest he knows his way around proper polishing.

Or, call your local detailer (not valleter) and ask for some advice on paint correction.

Well this is the damage:

IMG_20140610_135804_zpsbzkwakyk.jpg

If you have a look at the reflection from the neighbour cars wheel up to the verge and on, thhats where you can see some of the hazing, and then around some of the centre of the scratch.

I think as long as I focus on 3000 grit, its not doing too much damage, so then I just have to work around it and make it look the best I can.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-does-polishing-do.html

At the bottom of this page look at the "step by step guide- how to polish your paint safely and effectively by machine"

See the pics at the bottom? Similar scratch to yours....

There is a coating on the market that can help reduce scratches and marring, unfortunately its expensive, its a ceramic coating by CQuartz, also some car manufacturers are playing with self healing paint

Shows how much I know....

Do you think his scratch could be machine polished and hidden with glaze Pete?

Sadly I dont have the machine polisher, so its all going to be hand worked!

Is something like this going to help? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-cordless-multi-function-car-polisher-n19qn I might need something to take the pain out of the elbow grease efforts.

Shows how much I know....

Do you think his scratch could be machine polished and hidden with glaze Pete?

I think it would help reduce it, I would personally use some touch up paint, then use some light wet an dry sand paper to smooth out then machine polish after

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Whatever that is says "not found" when I click on it lol

Give it a bash by hand. Try polishing it a few times then 2-3 layers of a good quality glaze.

Machine polishing can be risky if your new to it anyway.

Meguiar's ultimate polish is a polish and glaze in one tub, and should be available at halfrauds for a tenner or so. Might be worth a pop?

• Like 1

Sadly I dont have the machine polisher, so its all going to be hand worked!

Is something like this going to help? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-cordless-multi-function-car-polisher-n19qn I might need something to take the pain out of the elbow grease efforts.

Would not bother mate, get an applicator pad and work the polish or glaze in circular motions around and on the scratch, you should dramatically reduce the visibility of the scratch, shame your so far away I would have popped round and given you a hand sorting it out

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Pete, aye, its a shame really lol!

So whats the best products to use?

so far the scratch is being touched in, sanded down with 3000 grit sandpaper to be a bit smoother,

Next I am wowndering, should I be buying some mags Scratch X, use that to finer sand and polish then use mags ultimate polish to finish it off?

Mags have a problem with the way they name their products!

Ultimate polish is a finishing polish and glaze in one. Ultimate wax isn't even wax! It's polymer based! Lol

Is scratch x a polish or glaze? I can't seem to find out.

With the mags ultimate range, used in this order:

Ultimate compound: abrasive compound/polish

Ultimate polish: finishing polish and glaze

Ultimate wax: polymer sealant

Ultimate quick detailer: top up

Apparently its a lesser compound like T Cut, but helps to cover the cack, then polish should tidy it up?

Give it a bash James. As long as you do polish then glaze then sealant, you'll be fine.

I wouldn't use t cut, that stuff does have its uses but only on really oxidised paint, not to be used on a monthly basis otherwise you won't have any paint left, maybe some autoglym super resin polish may do the trick mate, I've got about a quarter bottle left if you want to try some, I'll send it to you for free

• Like 1

Appreciate the offer Pete, I'm on the mobile so might accept that offer via pm later

Kris what would you suggest for the glaze or is this just wax?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Mags ultimate polish or blackfire gloss enhancing polish. I've used both and they are good.

Poorboys black hole glaze is supposed to be fantastic, though I've never used it.

cheers matey, will have to have a google and see what the prices are like :)

I think the mags and poorboys are both on amazon. Should be about a tenner. You'll get the mags at any Halfords if you can't wait for postage!

Blackfire is a bit rarer. It's about £20.

Cheers Kris between Petes kind offer and whatever else I might find in the form of wax I should hopefully have it improved.

Would permaseal go over wax or substitute was for it on top of Polish?

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

My last post was suggestions for glazes. You'll have to apply a layer of WAX or sealant after that.

I've never used permaseal, but I'm confident it's a gimmick and will be garbage.

james have you sorted this yet ? i have had similar problems in the past .i use a polish called menzerna .there are different ones but they take out sanding marks but i do have a machine polisher .not sure if it would take it out by hand but i could also send you some for free if you get stuck .let me know

jon

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club