Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Electric Wing Mirrors Not Working

spud1962

I have a Focus MK1 2002. My electric wing mirrors have suddenly stopped working.

I have checked fuse 35 which is OK. The courtesy light on the same circuit which is working, confirms this.

I'm not sure what to check next ? :(

is it both sides or just one?

is it both sides or just one?

Both sides are not working.....

This may sound stupid but i thought i had the same problem. I then realised the engine had to be running for them to work. Either that or mine suddenly started working.

This may sound stupid but i thought i had the same problem. I then realised the engine had to be running for them to work. Either that or mine suddenly started working.

I'm pretty certain this is not the case.. but just to make sure I did fire up the engine, but it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for posting anyway!

Sounds like a bad switch to me. Perhaps the connection has come loose and needs refitting?

Sounds like a bad switch to me. Perhaps the connection has come loose and needs refitting?

I'm not convinced its the switch somehow. Would It have failed totally and without warning ?

I could understand if one channel/side went down - or, if the fault became intermittent, I would find that credible.

perhaps i will invest in a new switch and try it.

Hi Michael,

It depends what part is at fault. if the block / connector is disconnected, shorting or suffering moisture its likely to be the factor.

I would strongly recommend taking the door card off and having a look before you go buying anything.

Thanks! OK, I will test this out. I've taken the toggle switch out of the trim that holds it in place, no obvious signs of disconnection.

I have also just noticed that I have no power going to the boot-light. I've tested the bulb which checks out fine and posted another thread to troubleshoot this. Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

Will taking the door card off reveal a connection to check or will it just reveal the main loom?

It will reveal if its just the loose conncetion, but if its affecting other things it could be a clump or full loom thats affected!

Have you checked the fuses?

I'm going to have a look at taking the door card off this weekend, but before I do, is there any way of testing the wiring loom at the switch end to discover if there is power going to the switch ?

I've made an assumption the switch is not at fault (seems unlikely as multi contact switches tend not to fail totally without warning)

I would feel a bit of a numpty if it WAS the switch though.

I have a multimeter, but don't want to poke around without proper guidance.

Im afraid I cant really suggest on that one...

No problem! Thanks for your suggestions.

Really odd. I was driving back from work this evening and discovered the mirrors were working again.

I wanted to diagnose the problem and post the resolution on-line to assist others with the same issue.

Thanks to Ford for giving me a "self-healing" wiring loom! ;)

I have no doubt that the fault will reappear if I celebrate too loudly ! :whistling:

very odd, does sound like a loose connection then!

Even stranger, the boot-light that was not working (see my earlier post on the same thread) has

now suddenly started to work, also. So, there must be a common connection somewhere that feeds both.(mirrors & boot-light)

Interesting to note, in case someone else suffers from the same issue, maybe someone can post the exact location

of this junction in case it can help someone else in the future? :)

short of backtracking it from the mirror to the junction box and following the boot light in the same way....

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I've got a similar problem, except in mine the wing mirrors will move left-right but not up/down. Seems odd, perhaps something has become stuck behind the mirror?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-tombazza

Possibly or its possibly the motor or the wiring might be worth removing the glass though?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Possibly or its possibly the motor or the wiring might be worth removing the glass though?

Well I'm not sure what happened, I popped the mirror glass out and had a rummage around to see if anything was up. Saw nothing, put the glass back and now it's working correctly. I'm very puzzled, wondering if there is a loose connector, or if maybe the cold weather caused some motor issues that the sun managed to resolve in the morning.

Thanks so much for your help though!

-tombazza

Could be I would go with connections though

• 4 years later...

Hi I've got an 2011 fiesta Zetec and the mirror control and driver side window suddenly stopped working today they worked fine before.. turned the car off and picked my child up from school and when I came back to the car the mirrors faced down and was unresponsive when we arrived home I noticed the driver window would not wind down but the passenger side still works with the control on driver door I'm really confused how this has happened any help or advice would greatly appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, Geordieguy said:

Hi I've got an 2011 fiesta Zetec and the mirror control and driver side window suddenly stopped working today they worked fine before.. turned the car off and picked my child up from school and when I came back to the car the mirrors faced down and was unresponsive when we arrived home I noticed the driver window would not wind down but the passenger side still works with the control on driver door I'm really confused how this has happened any help or advice would greatly appreciated 

Hi Geordieguy, I have the exactly same car and exactly same problem with my drivers wing mirror and window, plus the passenger wing mirror. It only just started today. Did you come up with the problem??

Many thanks! 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club