Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Engine Failure Amber Light

pauld2411

Hi im new to this site but im looking some help or if anyone else has got the same problem , since buying my Mondeo MK4 I have reported back to the local ford dealer about hesitation particurly in the 70mph region , I left the car in and they updated the software , last year I was out 50 miles from home and the car was doing random hesitation then on acceleration into a dual carriageway the amber engine failure light came on and it felt the car lost power , I got it recovered to the local dealer who said initially they couldn't find a problem but then told me they found a code on injector 2 but it seemed still to be in spec , they informed me they cleaned the rail and then remapped the injectors , this was August last year , the car since then would do the random hesitation but not as much then today on the motorway started doing it again and then the amber engine failure light came on , I have an OBD11 and it didn't read any fault codes on the computer , im a member of the AA and got them out to see if their fault reader picked anything up but theirs also had no fault codes , I proceeded to drive the car back home at 50 mph the full journey and didn't get the hesitation at all (bar 1 slight kick at a set of traffic lights) , anyone any ideas , could this be the EGR needing cleaned or could it be an injector , any help would be appreciated

2009 Mondeo

TDCI 1.8

i had the similar prob with my focus, turned out to be the egr valve...... this happened not long after the warranty ran out... so i bought a blanking plate and fitted it... no probs since and this was almost 2yrs ago

• Like 1

I havent had any errors come up such as yours, but I think the EGR blanking plate would definately be a good way to go, I have done this on my car with nothing but positives.

Its got to be worth a shot and for less than a fiver and under 5 minutes to fit it, its worth giving it a try!

• Like 1

Is the plate normally blank , I have seen some with a hole in the centre ?

yeah, for it to work it needs to be a solid stainless plate, i think they cost like 4 quid from eBay

• Like 1

Thanks all for the responses much appreciated , one last question does your engine management light ever come on since you used a fully blanked plate?

not at all, the 1.8TDCi uses a mechanical EGR. No warning light at all.

When it comes to fitting, take a look at my mindel the mondeo build thread (link in signature) that will show you were the EGR valve is.

Best thing to do is to remove the bolts altogether, then push the pipe back (dont worry about it breaking it, you can be firm and its still good). Then pop the plate on the gasket and fit, then pull the pipe back into place and slip one bolt in. carefully tighten each bolt a bit at a time then tighten it up.

nope not on mine also.... 1.8tdci focus

The plates with holes in them are meant to stop some cars throwing up error messages but tbh why fit a plate with a hole.

It would be like locking down a submarine hatch then opening a porthole when you dive :d

• Like 2

The plates with holes in them are meant to stop some cars throwing up error messages but tbh why fit a plate with a hole.

It would be like locking down a submarine hatch then opening a porthole when you dive :d

Must be an Irish submarine if it has portholes :lol: British ones probably have potholes mind..

• Like 1

I have hesitation aswell around 70-80 I think it's the egr need cleaning but I can't seem to get to 2.0 tdci egr to come off

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

It takes a little effort, you need to completely unolt it and push the pipe back, but to remove the EGR valve, means you also need to take off the manifold its a pain in the ..... bearing in mind the amount that you need to strip back from the engine to get at the EGR valve to do a full thorough removal and clear.

That's why when I had it unbolted it wouldn't budge I will have to free up a day to attempt this

yeah just push the pipe against its resistance, you can give yourself an inch of space and this will be enough.

I will try again loads of guides for mk3. But none for mk4 it's like people are afraid to touch them

Its easy enough mate, if your blocking it off anyway, worst case scenario you may buckle or damage the pipe a little (seems highly unlikely) but if its not to be used, theres no harm.

I found the harder part was thinking I had broke it and trying to get it back in there again! I was bending it back into place with one hand, wrestling it and putting the bolt back in trying to turn it to get them back in place.

I have a 2.0 tdci is that the correct route or Is it different as I know the 1.8 is compleatly different

Can you advise the best way to remove the clip from the pipe from the egr to inlet manifold

Manifold end

Pic includespost-49908-140330078915_thumb.jpg

You shouldn't need to remove the clip, just undo the bolts, but the 2.0 is electronically operated so may result in the eml

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

I have had the egr unbolted bit it felt like it was stuck on

It does you need to be firm to move it

• 3 weeks later...

Ok , so I bought the blanking plate as recommended , everything for the last month has been ok but I haven't done any motorway driving so lower speeds , I thought the hesitation had disappeared until today when the car started its "jerkiness" at approx. 45mph to rectify I slowed down and the problem disappeared again , could this still be an EGR sticking or could there be a split in a hose somewhere , there is slight black soot deposits on the side of the EGR where the inlet hose connects to it , this is fitted tight , there are also amounts of black smoke on heavy acceleration but not any other time , is this an air intake problem rather than EGR ?

It's quite likely to be a split if that's the case