Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Conditioning

Valleyboy22

Hi all,

Got a 2008 focus 1.6 petrol which the air conditioning has suddenly stopped working? Was working great a few weeks bk but now it dont seem to? When I press the ac button I can't hear anything kicking in but wondering if it could be the fuse maybe? Maybe it might need a re gas but surely when I press the ac button it should still do something? Don't wanna pay for a re gas if it's not that and be a waste of money? Any first step advice please??

Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi Chris,

If the air con is low, then it wont kick int he compressor. the pressure switch will tell the ecu not to engage the clutch as it will damage the system.

I would say get a free air con check at a local garage to confirm if there is enough refrigerant.

i would of thought if the fuse had gone the A/C light would not light up on the button?? maybe wrong though.

on this subject of air con, James is there any kits for home you can use to test or recharge the air con yourself?

the light comes on as the switch is on, but the ECU wont engage the clutch or compressor, I had this on my mondy recently, same issue, but the difference is that it was a holey compressor!

So there is a possibility that the gas is low then?? Thought it would of engaged though but I'm not up on this so not sure. Dnt wanna waste money on a refill if it's not that?

If its low it wont engage at all mate it just goes dead

Ok thanks I hope that's what it is. Need to look around for a good price now and have it done.

Call around even small garages, I found one garage who would regass for £35, others ranged between £50 and £70.

Might ring my mechanic up and see if he can suggest anyone. My mate took his to quick fit and had a deal at the time but that was last year. Guess it's a quick job and I can wait around for it to be done?

yeah it takes about 20 minutes for a complete drain, vacuum and refill :)

Thanks for that I will ring my mechanic in the morning or shop around.

Notice kwik fit do it and if temp does not fall below what is stated I get my money bk. Least surely if it's not a re gas I need I might get my money bk lol

Theres a garage just off broadway in treforest that does a regas for 35, ill get theyre number when i pass tommorow

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Ford OC mobile app

Legend thanks

Have you got the name of the garage so I can ring it please. Googled it but not 100% sure it will be the right one.

Its acorn motor repairs 407652 on river st just down from the vets mate

Brill thanks

No prob let me know if theyre any good, used to do my own and friends/fam but changed trades and dont have the equipment anymore

Gonna ring them later n see when I can get it in. Hopefully the next day or two because it's getting hot out now and could do with it lol.

Well I took it to the garage and he done leak test before the re gas and it come bk I have a leak? Said he will need it for a few hours to check it and no doubt that will cost? Don't know what to do because want it done but if it's gonna cost a lot then can't really afford it. He said in a focus it's common this pipe he pointed at by the air con refill cap goes and can cost £80 from ford? Any suggestions or help on this please all??

Cheers

If you dont have it done the compressor will cease so to fix it then youll have to get a new compressor new seals a flush of the system a new pipe and a refill and you will pay £300 just for the compressor alone

sorry to highjack the thread, im kind of new to a car with a/c, used to just the normal blowers, when my a/c comes on i hear a hum which im guessing is that, but just seems the same as having it on/off? what am i missing?

artsoct79 is right it will never fix itself plus if you keep trying the a/c the compressor will over heat worst case scenario it will seize or maybe blow the thermal fuse in the comp clutch/magnet sorrys its nothing simple. your profile pic shows your car in the dealers is it still under warranty?

Wish i had my refrigeration equipment at times like this hate seeing people struggle when its something pretty simple to fix with a bit of knowledge/experience .at least they didnt regas it and send you packing only to find it doesnt work a week later?

Sorry bry0586 could need regassing or worse have a leak as above egt it checked

i'll have a look around for checks/regassers

Got the car in January from Evans Halshaw with a 3 month warranty so it's up. I have mailed the garage and explained the situation and I'm disappointed for a car of that age it's packed in basically. I have asked to consider a free check and possibly fix because I aint had the car that long and only done 2000 moles in it. I'm sure there is a trading act I seen on TV which goes in our favour?? Anyone shed a light on this if so??

Cheers