Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Malfunction Error Message

Scoobiedoo79

Hi

Looking for some info with my 09 Mondeo I Noticed the other day when driving that the tabs on the hud console disappeared leaving just the radio greyed out and the settings and trip options available left it as it was as I had to go into work and when I checked it later all was well this has happened again since but not for a few days

Now when I was on the car tonight I got an error message on the console steering malfunction got home and switched off and back on again started fine same error

message Disconnected the battery and left it off for about half an hour and then connected it back up car powers up when unlocking and still gives the error steering malfunction but now will no longer start

It’s a key less entry and I have tried the other key and also sticking the key in the blanked off slot where a normal key goes and still the car won’t start doesn't

give me the press clutch message that normally comes on before starting

Had a look at the fuses for the key less and steering lock and they look ok and tried the battery again and still nothing

Any ideas or suggestions before I book it in to get looked at and potentially cost me a fortune

Cheers

ScoobieDoo

• Like 1

Hi Derek,

I would suggest that you disconnect all the wiring harnesses from the GEM board and try again (with the battery disconnected)

• 8 months later...

I own a 2012 Mondeo. And exactly the same problem. Steering malfunction displays, then I can start the car at most 3-4 times and after that it won't start again. When I drove to the garage for the fist time - they told me the battery was nearly flat. Told me it must have been my fault and I had to purchase a new battery. Since then it happened again 3 times (with the new battery!). Currently the car's been in the garage for 2 weeks, they still do not know what is causing the battery to drain intermittently. Last time I dropped it off immediately when the error appeared, without stopping the engine even. They charged the battery (again) and have been waiting if it to start loosing voltage, it has not. But I was told no repair can be done until it starts loosing voltage again, then they will hopefully try to find what is causing it. Any ideas what it could be??

Hi Mate

Mines turned out to be a sensor to do with the keyless entry I was getting the steering error message and then not long after it the car just cut out and wouldnt even turn over powered up but nothing worked and wouldnt start

Said that the sensor was part of a system that alows the car to start and because the sensor was broke it wouldnt alow it to go any further

This happened a few times and was reprogrammed before they advised me to replace it (About £350 ish)

Since its been replaced to be fair I have had no issues

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi halandmore Did you get it sorted, as I've got an 11plate & sounds like it's             Exactly same problem as yours 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2015 at 6:06 PM, Scoobiedoo79 said:

Hi Mate

Mines turned out to be a sensor to do with the keyless entry I was getting the steering error message and then not long after it the car just cut out and wouldnt even turn over powered up but nothing worked and wouldnt start

Said that the sensor was part of a system that alows the car to start and because the sensor was broke it wouldnt alow it to go any further

This happened a few times and was reprogrammed before they advised me to replace it (About £350 ish)

Since its been replaced to be fair I have had no issues

hi scoobie doo 

Mine came up with the same message about steering message.

I have had the car recover to ford evans halshaw and they have said it the central locking modular and that i have to replace it costing my £400.

Was this what you had to get replace.

Hope to hear back from you soon as i dont want to pay it if that is not the problem 

thanks Dan Benson 

Pretty sure that was the part that was replaced

Basically said it was a sensor for the key-less remote and because it wasn't getting the signal to start the unlock process the car and remove the steering lock etc so it was pretty much dead

£400 is more than I paid for it to be done mine you it was about £350 for mines in a ford garage (AA transported it 100 miles to it mind you because of where I live (Far north of Scotland) but the problem you have is the car is dead so you cant exactly shop around etc

Its a sore one to take mate but since mines was done I've not had any problems with it so far touch wood

yeah i know i had a mechanic come out to look at it i was shopping at morrisons when it happened.

I hope to god that its the same thing i think evan halshaw like to charge more as before christmas it went in for the sony cd player and they said it would cost my £1000 to get it replaced i dont think i will be getting a car from them again as they did not even ring when the car got there in the workshop.

Thanks for the quick reply as you have put my mind at rest now.

With mines it was reprogrammed 2 times before it was replaced

First time got it done locally and it solved the problem

Second time it gave the steering message thankfully I was close to the garage that eventually did the work and they programmed it and told if it happened again replace it so that's what was done when it went again

Dunno if its worth getting it reprogrammed as that only cosy me about £70 for it short term fix that might stick and solve it for you but with mines it didn't make any difference and had to do the sensor

• 4 months later...

Had mine reprogrammed 4 months back & been ok since. But told if it happens again that I'll need a new module

• 2 years later...

I've had a whole heap of trouble with the Steering Malfunction alarm. Seemed to be draining the battery too. The code reader was indicating the rear boot sensor was not working. All doors and boot are checked before applying the electrical equivalent of a steering lock. Hence it's a steering malfunction. Also noticed on a few occasions having previously left the car in a locked state overnight, then returning in the morning, that the boot had been released. Also subsequently heard the boot release mechanism activating repeatedly. I assume this was the reason for my battery going flat too (it's a new battery, so that shouldn't be part of the problem). I've had the codes read on 5 occasions now, and the boot lock replaced, continuity checks of the boot hatch wires. Battery also required a full overnight recharge. It was totally flat. Mechanic also cleaned-up an electrical module in the rear of the car (sorry - don't have the full details of this - but can find out). Car is now running OK (after 1 day!). Kinda expecting the Steeling Malfunction alarm to return. Will update this forum if it does. 

• 1 year later...

I have just bought non runner Mondeo 2008 2.0 TDCi with this exact same issue, car's keyless entry works but that's about it. As you put the key in mechanically and press start, Steering Manfunction comes up and nothing happens, car is dead. I have also noticed that the boot lock is quite temperamental, always hear it lock when press on the key but hardly ever opens.

I can see that most of you had the same problem and fixed it, so what do you suggest? Have the keyless module reprogrammed and boot lock changed and if it happens again then module replaced? Or was there anything else that helped?

• 2 years later...

My 2009 Mondeo has just given me the same Steering Malfunction message and now has refused to start.

prior to this my boot stopped working so had that error msg too  & my mechanic replaced the parts for that but all it did was get rid of the msg and still not work so he took out the new parts and put the old in so I could lock the hatch and jury rigged a piece of wire which when pull released to boot latch. The error msg remains

I think it must be a software issue I have it booked into a mechanic on Wednesday I am not holding my breath.

And to top it off this car leaks like a sieve if it were a boat it would sink

Any advice appreciated 

• 1 month later...

I've just had the same message, always happens at the most inconvenient time.

I had a supposed auto electrician work on my car a few weeks ago, nothing on my drivers door panel worked including the central locking. He done a bit of a butcher job on it but at least got the locks and mirror lights working. He was supposed to come back with a new harness to do the job properly but has ghosted me.

I've got no issues at all with doors not locking but have the steering malfunction warning 2012 Mondeo.

I reckon I've start/stopped 5 times now, I was far away from home when it happened, had to stop for fuel etc so in a bit of a panic it'll not start next time.

Is this a dealer only fix or can an independent sort it?

Kev.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club