Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bg 255 Fuel Addative

liam1984

Has anybody tried this? A guy at work swears by it! Im planning on using it then blanking my egr and doing a servis

Sent from my ST25i

Hi Liam,

It used to be BG244, not sure if its just a typo you made, or if the 255 is the next gen release of the stuff.

It is good, and it does a better job than redex, but all treatments like this leave a lot to be desired.

I would say the best thing you can do for your car (if you have the money of course) is to get it a terraclean service for its birthday. That would be worth 100 tank treatments at a minimum and would do the car the world of good!

Me and cash are not friends at the mo! Lol i would love to get a terraclean done but its just the cost! If i could find a good addative that would be great but not only that iv got to factor thd price of a terraclean and a servis is it realy worth it on a car thats worth £800 tops?

Sent from my ST25i

its absolutely worth every penny. Even for a car worth that.

The average cost of Teraclean these days is about £110. its a chunk to swallow, but if you want to run that car into the ground, its worth it.

The extensive cleaning, decarbonising, and general wellbeing it offers the car is immense. Your MPG goes up - so you save money on every tank thereafter, your power goes up, so you get a car feeling much more like new than it is. The engine works more harmoniously, so it takes the pressure off other components. The reduced carbon then prevents risk of damage by other means such as scouring pistons, clogging or breaking off and damaging valves etc.

the average improvement is 14% in fuel economy alone, so on a tank where you are getting say 300 miles to the tank, theres an extra 42 miles, over the next 7 tanks, you already saved yourself the best part of £70, better still if you get more miles, you save more miles. on my car, I can get 600 miles to the tank, theres another 84 miles I could get!

so the initial cost might seem a lot but you can get a lot more from it and make money in the end. If you are curious, call your local teraclean provider, ask them for how it can benefit you. They can tell you "well I did this car last month and the owner told me he got X, Y and Z from it.

Clive had it done on his Focus, and almost immediately after, his range was estimating another 40 miles to the tank. On his way to the terraclean, he was getting 38mpg, one week later, a 20 mile trip was giving him 54mpg. Another owner had a fiesta with only 22k on the clock (11 plate) he was getting at best 43mpg that was on a motorway, now he averages closer to 57 and thats on his local delivery runs he does in town.

honestly, it can breathe new life into the car, and done in conjunction with a good service, you could end up driving a completely different car thats better for your wallet. If I had the money in my account, I would do it - I had mine booked in but had to cancel due to a last minute emergency, since then I havent recouped the funds.

Terraclean at my garage that i use (jp autotechnics sheffield) is £108 inc vat! Might ponder this 1!

Sent from my ST25i

I disagree

Terraclean is injected into the cars' injectors, so it can only clean the things in its path, eg, the parts of the fuel system/ sngine the "fluid" goes through, as far as i am aware, this includes the injectors, combustion chambers, (including the top of the pistons, the part of the head that forms the combustion chambers) and it may help clean the exhaust valves/ ports, the exhaust manifold, VNT mech, turbine, cat and DPF

It cannot clean the intake before the compressor, the MAF sensor, the crankcase breather, the turbo compressor, the boost hoses the intercooler, the MAP sensor the inlet manifold, the inlet ports, the tops of the inlet valves (the last 4 things can get badly coked up / choked from the EGR valve)

The mpg improvements mentioned seem exaggerated and optomistic, and in my opinion, unrealistic (and may have other factors, like weather/ temprature/ change in conditions/ driving etc ) - human error/ placibo effect may also come into it - these sort of comparisons/ tests really need to be scientifically done - to get a noticable improvement, the parts the terraclean clean would have to have been badly coked up, if other measures were in place to stop this happening, the terraclean would have less effect

I have never used terraclean, so the comments are not based on direct use, but £110 is a lot for such a product/ service

Anything that costs £110 to get done needs to be put under a lot of scrutiny (compared to a £5 EGR blanking plate, for example ),

Spending £110 up-front means it may take some time to "break even" , say you do actually save fuel, and with the mileage you do you save £10 a month - it will take 11months (almost a year) just to break even or recoup the money spent on the terraclean, this leads on to -

How long does it last? if its just a year, then the cost of it, "cancells out" the mony saved (+ the money has to be paid "up front", so you are £110 out of pocket untill you recoup the cost back from fuel savings (eventually))

And if you are running an old car, you might only expect the car to last another year! :lol:

A solid EGR blanking plate costs £5, a new pattern air filter £5, cleaning out the inlet manifold costs next to nothing, these costs mean only paying £10 "up front" and you are much more liable to recoup the costs back quickly- so on a tight budget, i would do these things

BG244 can damage seals, it can help clean injectors, not "fix" other problems, it should not be used in exess,

I do agree with Foca in a way, certainly a lot of environmentals play a part in the real MPG boost, but I think it does have a strong case for its defence. It certainly seems to improve the engine a lot and gives a lot of benefit to those who have used it. I do however agree that it only cleans from the injectors on, that much is definately true, this is why I refer in summary to a good service. A spit polish of the inlet manifold, new filters, generally giving the car a new bill of health is worth it, along with the likes of the EGR blanking plate, they all add up to a much better result. of course, every mile you drive after will start to build up on the engine, but most people do this service after 4 years and it renews the engine, so even if it lasts 2-3 years before things really start to get affected again, you can still recoup the costs and then some.

Always worth chucking a blanking plate on there for good measure, as Foca says, for a fiver, you cant go wrong and the effects are well documented (personal experience on two cars, and many many others on the forum who have done it) and for a fiver, its a bargain improvement, but I can see why Foca refers to the outlay and the time to recoup.

At the end of the day, IMHO - the older the engine, the better the result. In which case, I am personally of the belief that something like this on a car over 10 years old could bring a new lease of life into it, especially as its not known how well or poorly the engine, the fuel system etc where looked after by previous owners, as such IMHO if you were to buy the service I expect that you would be able to get more benefit and recoup the costs in less than a year and start benefitting from the savings sooner, but Foca does bring a degree of balance to the argument.

What sort of mileage do you do, is it motorways or town driving, and how well do you service the car? all of these will add up to a degree of balance that will help you weigh up the benefits, if like me you do over 1k a month I recon you will pay off the teraclean in services in 6 months (at a guess) but if you do half that or less, then your looking closer to the year. The more motorway miles you do, the better the MPG and the sooner the bank starts to fill.

• Like 1

Nicely put - i agree that in conjunction with cleaning the inlet manifold out, and fitting an EGR blanking plate, and along with the regular service items, it could really bring a new lease of life to an older engine

I have not actually tried Terraclean myself, but it is someting i may consider myself in the future, especially if the price was to come down a bit

They say water/ methanol injection can clean out/ decoke an engine (probably in a similar way) so its like terraclean but with a (big) power boost as well

From my experience of Terraclean it was very worthwhile.

The engine ran better, cleaner and fuel consumption was reduced.

Do not expect it to make an old Fiesta into a Ferrari though.

I may try the terraclean but tbh im thinking of just a good servis new fluids and filters and maybe try the bg stuff! My car isnt that bad its a 2002 tdci but its just got 90k, i do around 150 miles a week bit of a mixture but no motorways and get on average 46ish mpg! Is the inlet a big job to get off and clean, also what needs replacing if i was to do it? Also what blanking plate would i need? Thanks in advance

Sent from my ST25i

blanking plate would be one like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-BLANKING-PLATE-FORD-MONDEO-TRANSIT-JAGUAR-STAINLESS-STEEL-/131207684804?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e8c9662c4

I think its the right shape, there a few different shapes, but generally they fall around this.

As for the terraclean, it is worth it, but at that low a mileage it would take you a while to recoup the costs. With the inlet manifold, you have to take a few bits off and out of the way, but its not too complicated, probably more time consuming and patience testing than anything else.

I may try the terraclean but tbh im thinking of just a good servis new fluids and filters and maybe try the bg stuff! My car isnt that bad its a 2002 tdci but its just got 90k, i do around 150 miles a week bit of a mixture but no motorways and get on average 46ish mpg! Is the inlet a big job to get off and clean, also what needs replacing if i was to do it? Also what blanking plate would i need? Thanks in advance

Sent from my ST25i

The inlet manifold is easily accessable and easy to come off, you use a 8 or 10mm socket (cant remember which) + extension bar, you should be able to re-use the thick rubber gaskets (i did) but i have heard stories of them falling apart (so it may be a good idea to obtain some before you start- there are 8 of them) secondhand eBay ones should be ok. its importat not to tighten/ torque the bolts down too much (the bolts are rubber mounted too)

Cleaning out the inlet manofold is messy and difficult, some have said that soaking it overnight in petrol is best, i have found a high power industrial steam jetwash worked for me

Once the EGR valve is blanked it will stop the inlet manifold from going like that again

A 2002 Mondeo is a Euro3 so can be blanled with a solid plate (stainless steel, as James has said) with no problem it (probably) has a rear EGR valve, though, the plates for front EGRs mat not fit rear EGRs

with the inlet cleaned and the EGR plate fitted, a good service (air filter, oil change/ filter, fuel filter) ,in my opinion, for you/ your car, i feel you wolud be better keeping the £108 as you may need it for tax, insurance, fuel MOT, tyres, brakes etc, especially as your car is already doing 46mpg (a decent MPG for a mk3 diesel)

Mk3 (Mondeo) TDCI injectors are "soft" - they were designed for high-solphor diesel the modern low-sulphor diesel tends to wear them out quicker, they are made by Delphi, someone once told me that even Delphi thinks they are "garbage" (or words to that effect) - i would be very careful with them its fairly safe just sticking to diesel with them

Thanks for that, iv got my summer hols from work in a month or so, so il prob give it a bash then! I will service it and see how it goes. Can anybody reccomend a good engine flush to use prior dropping the oil?

Sent from my ST25i

Thanks for that, iv got my summer hols from work in a month or so, so il prob give it a bash then! I will service it and see how it goes. Can anybody reccomend a good engine flush to use prior dropping the oil?

Sent from my ST25i

I used Forte engine flush -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forte-Motor-Flush-/261150861112?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I used it because it was a established/ well-known, trusted brand, and did not "cost the earth"

I did not always bother to use flush at every oil change, as it adds to the cost, overall frequent regular oil changes are more important IMO