Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk1 1.6 Smoke

j400cbs

Hi all.

Just bought myself a mk1 1.6 focus. Only paid 500 for it, just tank for work.

I noticed today when I pulled off from some lights that a cloud of smoke came from the exhaust.

This happens once again on my way home.

I have noticed that it's using a lof of oil.

Any ideal what this may be?

It doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks

Sounds like ur burning oil mate could be gasket or rings or just a bad oil leak have u looked underneath when left standing overnite ?

Hi welcome :)

Sounds like ur burning oil mate could be gasket or rings or just a bad oil leak have u looked underneath when left standing overnite ?

I have looked yes but I don't see any pool or anything. I have looked in the oil but it doesn't look milky ore any white residue. I believe if there was then it would be the head gasket. I'm probably wrong, I'm no mechanic.

The underside of the bonnet is black so I've just cleaned it and I'll look again tomorrow to see if there's any residue on after driving it. I just don't want it costing a fortune.

Im sure we can get to the bottom of it on here theres some top ppl on here 👍 and some looney toones aswell lol

Thanks mate.

I'd like to think it would be something I could maybe do myself.

If not something I could get done as a guvvy.

I've been reading on line and a lot of people are saying it could be the valve stem seals.

Would this be an expensive job labour wise? I know the seals are pretty cheap so I'd just be paying for labour, right?

valve stem seals are a possibility, but white smoke tends to indicate its water that is being burned off. It could be either water in the exhaust that is evaporating, or water in the combustion process. Blue smoke would tend to be the key indication that its oil burning.

When you get the smoke, is it permenant, or is it smoke for a few minutes after startup then nothing else?

It seems to be just when the engine is warm and I've had to stop at traffic lights or a rail crossing, I get just one puff of smoke. I can't really tell if it's blue or white to be honest.

if you can barely see anything its probably just steam from water evaporating, rather than oil burning. if you rev the car whilst stationary (or get someone else to do it) and monitor the exhaust this should let you see the smoke

Using a lot of oil and no leaks means your burning it..

The 1.6 engines are known to drink a bit of oil - mine did eventually and that's the reason I got rid of before it's not.

A compression test would let you know what cylinder is leaking and then you can try work out if it's rings or valve stem seals

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club