Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St As A Company/motorway Car??

bigmcclarron

Hi guys

One of my first posts so be nice!

I currently drive a 2013 fiesta zs 1.6 diesel, and it is a great car. But next year it gets chopped in for a new one!

Basically for work I have to drive from Essex to Wetherby each monday and then home on a Thursday, it is 215 miles each way so 430 miles roughly a week.

Realistically, including running costs, does anyone see a problem with going for the ST this time? Obviously I know there is going to be a big difference fuel wise, but I don't actually pay for my fuel, work does, and I am happy to pay the difference there if they kick up a fuss.

But things like service plan? I currently pay around £60 a month for a big old service plan I have in place with fords, my guess is it will go up?

With my current ZS I have just gone through a whole set of tyres and discs and pads this week's. That's from having it from the 1st of March 2013 and it's on 39000 miles, so it's not done bad!

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Am I mad for wanting to do this many miles in a hot hatch? I do live in a car basically! Lots of miles in a year!

Any feedback appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

Unless you want to use it for its performance in your own time off the motorway I would go for the 3 door 1.0T 125 Titanium X with the bodykit. It will ride slightly softer and have all the toys, look good and have better running costs. Yes the ST looks the part but for droning up and down the motorway all day I don't think it would be the right car for you. Just my opinion.

Perfect for the Motorway, I do 1300 miles a month in mine and get 43MPG, seats are much much better than any other fiesta seat too, more supportive for longer runs, firmer suspensions are better for motorways too imo, it will only cost a touch more to run over a lesser engine Fiesta no one gets much more than 45 in real world driving regardless of engine.

I did have the 1.0 and found it too strained for my journeys, ST lets you pull out into faster lanes without the worry of a big Merc / Audi etc coming right up your !Removed!.

honestly in terms of Ergonomics it gets 10/10 from me.

Perfect for the Motorway, I do 1300 miles a month in mine and get 43MPG, seats are much much better than any other fiesta seat too, more supportive for longer runs, firmer suspensions are better for motorways too imo, it will only cost a touch more to run over a lesser engine Fiesta no one gets much more than 45 in real world driving regardless of engine.

I did have the 1.0 and found it too strained for my journeys, ST lets you pull out into faster lanes without the worry of a big Merc / Audi etc coming right up your !Removed!.

honestly in terms of Ergonomics it gets 10/10 from me.

Thanks Matt

One of my reasons for the ST would be the pulling away if needed. Driving on the A1 a hell of a lot, you have to make some snap decisions sometimes and right now the diesel is only just good enough to pull away quick enough. Plus the brakes are pretty shocking for motorways it has to be said!!

Out of interest, how you finding the servicing?

To be honest I think you are already set on one anyway so just follow your heart and go for it. Matt has one and says it's fine which is OK by me as I don't have one.

I was just thinking 43mpg for your high mileage isn't brilliant and a lesser but perfectly good model would be cheaper to run which is one of your concerns.

haven't put it in for a service yet, it's only about £150 for the basic one that keeps the warranty going, the rest of the stuff I'll do myself, Brembo discs are £50 a pair and pads are cheap enough, oil change is cheap to do. Tyres are the only thing I found a pain I now roll on Yokohoma Parada 2's which are pretty damn grippy and cost £70 odd each from Camskill, more than other fiesta tyres but it's only like a tenner more which is nothing when you buy a set every 6 months. the brakes on this car are epically strong, the drum brake models are poor and in fact just good enough. the ST got 9K miles on front discs and pads too which is pretty good going.

To be honest I think you are already set on one anyway so just follow your heart and go for it. Matt has one and says it's fine which is OK by me as I don't have one.

I was just thinking 43mpg for your high mileage isn't brilliant and a lesser but perfectly good model would be cheaper to run which is one of your concerns.

The MPG I can live with, my company pay for my fuel anyway, and to be honest I drive the diesel pretty hard, I can do the 215 miles on a quarter of a tank if I am careful, but that just doesn't happen, but well I am growing up and see the downside to fast motorway speeds to be honest, so I could gain the difference by just averaging out my motorway driving anyway. Plus I would probably be looking at the ST3 anyway with the cruise control, so I could get my MPG up there by not constantly changing revs

haven't put it in for a Service yet, it's only about £150 for the basic one that keeps the warranty going, the rest of the stuff I'll do myself, Brembo discs are £50 a pair and pads are cheap enough, Oil change is cheap to do. Tyres are the only thing I found a pain I now roll on Yokohoma Parada 2's which are pretty damn grippy and cost £70 odd each from Camskill, more than other fiesta tyres but it's only like a tenner more which is nothing when you buy a set every 6 months. the brakes on this car are epically strong, the drum brake models are poor and in fact just good enough. the ST got 9K miles on front discs and pads too which is pretty good going.

Does it need to go in for a service more than the standard Fiesta's? I can't imagine it does?

I am lucky to have a guy at work who will change the my discs and pads and stuff, and he has trade accounts with lots of companies for parts so that is good, and work have just bought me a set of tyres for my current car due to the mileage I do for them, so I am sure I could work it out with them that I buy one set, and they buy the next I guess!

No it's ever 12K or year, all the same. I think it's too frequent personally, more manufactures now are doing 18K or 1.5 years, such as the Alfa / Fiat 1.4 Turbo multi jet engines.

But I Have got 415 miles on a tank, I personally think the car could do around 460 tops if it's mega motorway miles but on weekends and evenings I'm out and about plus I have the curse of the A3 and M25 for my commute so my average speed is a mere 30MPH if you average more you'll be laughing, 45MPH average will probably see the 50MPG mark I reckon.

No it's ever 12K or year, all the same. I think it's too frequent personally, more manufactures now are doing 18K or 1.5 years, such as the Alfa / Fiat 1.4 Turbo multi jet engines.

But I Have got 415 miles on a tank, I personally think the car could do around 460 tops if it's mega motorway miles but on weekends and evenings I'm out and about plus I have the curse of the A3 and M25 for my commute so my average speed is a mere 30MPH if you average more you'll be laughing, 45MPH average will probably see the 50MPG mark I reckon.

Thanks Matt! Sounds like I am going to have quite a high mileage ST after two years! But at least I can just hand it back and start again! (Ford options is what I am on) I would like have some more fun with a car when I am not working, my mum got a tricked out abarth 500 and it is such a laugh! So to find a car that I can do both in is perfect! And I can't really afford the jump up to the focus St and I doubt it's any better on the fuel!

Clearly it's not going to be the best car in terms of economy (although not bad if driven sensibly), so it just comes down to if you want to pay the extra for the enjoyment factor. :)

£60 a month for servicing?? Is this on Ford Smart service??

Clearly it's not going to be the best car in terms of economy (although not bad if driven sensibly), so it just comes down to if you want to pay the extra for the enjoyment factor. :)

It is the only thing I lack from the current car is enough enjoyment!

£60 a month for servicing?? Is this on Ford Smart Service??

Yeah, it is based on the mileage I am doing, I have a service every 6 months basically, and over two years that is 4. Why? Too high?

Works out £360 a service, that seems far too much unless other things are included in that cost?

Focus will be awful on fuel. and tbh you'll get well into 45+MPG and that's actually pretty good, I did used to have a Civic 2.2 ICDTI and that only managed 50MPG on a good day doing similar runs and I'm sure you get stuck in traffic a fair bit and Diesels are woeful in slow traffic and stop start crap ( stop start feature is uber annoying when in traffic as well ) not many cars actually return decent economy whilst being nice to drive, you need Merc / BMW money for that and you're talking something like a 330D C320 CDI which are around £35K when you've put a few bits on them and cost fortunes to service and pay for parts / tyres etc and depreciate heavily so monthly payments are very high too.

All in all for the money it'll cost you, you cannot really go wrong with the ST3 as it's got all the goodies.

Have you driven one at all?

Matt you must get your car serviced annually especially the oil and filter change which is vital for turbo engines.

Manufacturers are forced to extend service intervals because it appeals more to the penny pinching fleet buyers who move the cars on before problem occur later. If it's your own car get an oil and filter change at least annually regardless of mileage.

Yes I do it all myself, service costs are horrendous on all car makes imo and I'm not paying Ford near £200 for something I can do myself with the best oil around for £40 odd and have peace of mind it's actually been done and been done properly. Ford will only ever get me paying them the minimum amount I need to maintain the warranty, I won't take it to an independent garage either as 99% of them are all bandits too.

Time also isn't that important a factor with oil changes these days, the days of old mineral oil settling and clogging up engines are well over with the good synthetic stuff around, note how these intervals have never changed despite longevity of engines increasing, technology improving / advancing and still we have the same service intervals as they did back in the 80's.

Also when I worked for Renault I once took in a 19 Turbo with 170K on the clock and it had never ever been serviced, the owner was immensely proud of that and it actually ran pretty well, no smoke on boost either.

Yeah, it is based on the mileage I am doing, I have a service every 6 months basically, and over two years that is 4. Why? Too high?

What mileage are you doing? I'm guessing with a service every 6 months... and the fact that the ST is different to other Fiesta's...

But what do they actually do at your services?

I paid £18 a month for my zetec and now £14 for my Titanium!

haha yes I agree, it's one of those standard forum threads where the op is sounding like they've made their mind up anyway and are seeking affirmation and/or justification for their decision rather than actual help with the decision!

nothing wrong with that though, I'm sure I've done it in the past and the ST is a fab car. Still not sure I'd choose one (or indeed any hardcore hot hatch) for driving thats comprised so exclusively of mway miles though.

• Like 1

Kathy in your photo you look just like Emma Fryer !

What mileage are you doing? I'm guessing with a service every 6 months... and the fact that the ST is different to other Fiesta's...

But what do they actually do at your services?

I paid £18 a month for my zetec and now £14 for my Titanium!

Since March 2013 the car has done basically 40,000 miles

haha yes I agree, it's one of those standard forum threads where the op is sounding like they've made their mind up anyway and are seeking affirmation and/or justification for their decision rather than actual help with the decision!

nothing wrong with that though, I'm sure I've done it in the past and the ST is a fab car. Still not sure I'd choose one (or indeed any hardcore hot hatch) for driving thats comprised so exclusively of mway miles though.

Well it was the car top of my list yes, it is the most logical choice when it comes to model upgrade as well, its either that or go to a bigger focus which I don't need, I just wanted to see if anyone could see any glaring issues with running one as a motorway car, I love driving but I do have no idea about cars and running them as such

Motorway driving will be the best kind of driving for fuel economy of an st you won't get better on any other type of road.

Ford announced a new zetec s 1.0L sporting almost ST power

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Motorway driving will be the best kind of driving for fuel economy of an st you won't get better on any other type of road.

Ford announced a new zetec s 1.0L sporting almost ST power

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Have you got a link for the new Zetec S?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC