Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise From 1.0 Ecoboost 125Bhp Engine?

Pathfinder

May be normal but noticed a strange noise from the engine which can only be heard when window open (can't hear from inside car when windows closed). It is more evident when parked close to a wall etc or if in more confined space.

A slight "rattling" noise or perhaps a bit like a "chain rattling noise" - only seems noticable when the throttle is "tickled'. Done 1270 miles and first noticed couple of weeks ago whilst parked. Turbo???

Mine makes the same noise! I believe it's the turbo but couldn't be too sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hmmm mine has also done similar mileage but can't hear anything. Will have a listen again tomorrow.

Pathfinder have you booked yours in for the 1500mile inspection service??

Mine does similar at very low speeds. I'm assuming it's nothing bad. I quite like it, sounds quite mean

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Ford OC mobile app

Nothing bad. Done 14,000 miles since buying mine in 11 months ago - you get used too it.

Listened out and couldn't hear anything out of the norm.

Mines over a year old / 16000 on it and is really rattly when it's cold. It's always done it. I'll upload a vid

It's normal. Mine does it too. At low revs they sound like the tiniest tinniest little Diesel engine ever created. Heh.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I can confirm that at nearly 10,000 miles mine is the same. Its worse from outside when you are parked next to another car or a wall to reflect the sound. Gets quieter when fully warmed up as Willy has pointed out.

As a main dealership would say - "it's a characteristic, they all do it"

In my experience Honda make some of the quietest engines around, however going from a Fiesta to a Jazz would be a somewhat sobering experience!

3 Cyl engines are the nicest of things, check out how big and beefy the engine mounts are on the thing, they've gone to great lengths at Ford to make it as smooth and as quiet as possible.

Anyone who's been in an Aygo / C1 etc will know they aren't the smoothest of things.

That rattle is just the engine and will be like that, mine had a rattle and always did from 7 miles all the way 7K when I got rid of it.

Just had Ford techie investigate and he confirmed the noise is normal for the 1L Ecoboost engine - it is the mechanical fuel pump. There have been a number of other owners had inspections - nothing to worry about!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Picked up my Zetec S yesterday and noticed what sounds like a rattle when the engine is being revved. Sorry for the wind noise, but does this noise sound normal?

Sounds quite compared to mine. Nothing to worry about

• Like 1

Sounds quite compared to mine. Nothing to worry about

Is it normal then? I can hear it whilst driving, it sounds broken!

It sounds perfectly normal to me. This 999cc powerhouse ain't the quietest of units but I think the 3 pot characteristic sound is more of a thrum than a rattle. I've just had my first service at an excellent small family owned Ford dealer in the Midlands and the service Manager mentioned that all the 1.0 Ecoboost units sound a bit noisy. However I find that once on the move with the windows up the engine noise is quite muted. If it's any consolation at 11000 miles mine hasn't got any worse, if anything it has quietened down a bit. Or maybe I am getting used to it!

Yeah with the windows up I can't hear a thing apart from the nice thrum you mention, but I quite like to listen to the noise of the engine and the turbo spooling but the rattle is distracting it. Just clocked 100 miles tonight :D

Well I couldn't hear any unusual rattle from your video clip, however others have mentioned previously that the turbo heat shield can rattle so that may be the problem if indeed there is a problem. If you are worried about it take it back to the dealer to check it out but I am sure they will say 'they all do that', cos as I said before it's not the quietest engine around.

Sounds just like the noise I was concerned about from new. My very helpful Master Technician at local Ford dealer assured me nowt to worry about. It apparently is from the mechanical fuel pump and the noise can be heard more clearly when parkrd in a confined space or next to say a wall or large vehicle and the offside window is open. It becomes quite a nice sort of noise characteristic of this sweet engine. Worry no more!

• Like 1

mine sounds like that and its done 19000 now so you have nothing to worry about

Same here. nearly 20000 miles and it sounds odd at start up. like its tapping away. Normal though.

• 7 months later...

Hi All, new to the forum today as I have had my fiesta 1.0 ecoboost for just a couple of days and herd the tapping/rattling noise. After reading all your comments I now feel much more at ease and suppose it is just something I will get use to in time. Again mine is the same, when the windows are up it is a noise you can not here and can here it more when in close proximity to walls or other cars when the windows are down. Just have to have the music on a little louder :)

• Like 1

It's normal calm down lol

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1