Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise From 1.0 Ecoboost 125Bhp Engine?

Pathfinder

If its any consolation I am a ford techie and I work on these engines for nearly 9 hours a day 6 days a week. These engines are inheritantly noisy, following in the footsteps of the 3 Cyl lump but as said previously said ford have changed a lot to buffet out the noises with larger engine mounts, more sound proofing and an imbalanced crank and flywheel to dampen the rattles out for a smoother ride. so all in all the car sounds perfect to me I would just forget about it mate. I have a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 125 and its done over 30K and it still runs as sweet as a nut, sounding no different than yours.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Wish I also had found this topic earlier, my Focus sounds just like the video as though something was rattling away. Glad it is the normal thing and will have to try and not listen to it with the window down!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, newbie here, i have a 2013 Zetec S 125 with 12000 on the clock that i absolutely love, i also have the same noise, so thats ok, however upon cold starting my engine takes up to 3 seconds to get oil pressure up to extinguish the warning lamp, engine sounds a bit knocky until the light goes out, surely this isn't a trait of the 3 banger engine as well??

Does anyone else suffer with this?

Jason

Hi All, newbie here, i have a 2013 Zetec S 125 with 12000 on the clock that i absolutely love, i also have the same noise, so thats ok, however upon cold starting my engine takes up to 3 seconds to get oil pressure up to extinguish the warning lamp, engine sounds a bit knocky until the light goes out, surely this isn't a trait of the 3 banger engine as well??

Does anyone else suffer with this?

Jason

Have you checked your oil level?

First thing i checked! was serviced by main stealer before i took possession.

Just found this part of an online review of the same spec car.

" One minor point of note. Unless the engine is warm, it makes a slightly rattley engine sound for the first second or so after starting. It sounds like something is a bit short of oil. My local Ford dealer compared my car with two others with the same engine, and they all made the same noise. As a result, I've stopped worrying about it (particularly since there's now a record of it on Ford's computer)."

Hi Jason

Mine has the same 3 seconds delay before extinguishing the oil pressure warning lamp after a cold start, and is a bit rattly before the light goes out. Its never got any worse over the past 12 months, I mentioned it to the service manager at the first service and he reckoned the oil filter is mounted at an angle on the back of the engine and it can take a few seconds to fill with oil after a cold start if the anti-drain valve in the filter isn't doing its job 100%. The new filter did improve matters but there is still a slight delay. I've stopped worrying about it and carried on enjoying driving this very capable little 3 pot powered little car.

Alan

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I'm new here and it seems that I have the same problem. I have a 2014 Ford Focus 1.0 ecoboost 92 kW with a mileage of 5800 (9300 km). Yesterday when I opened the hood I've heard a strange rattly sound when decelerating. What do you think?

It sounds pretty bad. Should I be worried?

Tks,

Bogdan

PS: Greetings from Romania :)

Sorry about posting in the Fiesta area. It's the same engine though.

To me it sounds like the turbo spooling up/down - the noise starts when the revs get high and stops when the revs get lower. You can hear that the sound starts out as a whistle and later becomes a rattle. I'd get it checked by a mechanic though.

I'm going to a local dealer to check it out next monday. Hope that it will be ok.

Guys, I've been to a local Ford dealer. They say that the car is ok and I don't have to worry. Fortunately I have the extended warranty until 2019 so that's that. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry for dragging an old thread up but I’ve got a rattle on my ecoboost. 

Couldn’t really hear the rattles on some of the videos on this thread, but is mine the same as other people’s rattle on the video above?

On 03/07/2014 at 4:01 PM, Pathfinder said:

Just had Ford techie investigate and he confirmed the noise is normal for the 1L Ecoboost engine - it is the mechanical fuel pump. There have been a number of other owners had inspections - nothing to worry about!

I have that engine and mine doesn't do it.

I've got the 140 bhp version, a year old with just under 9000 on clock.  Mine doesn't rattle like the above examples either, very quiet engine so far.

• 1 year later...

My ecoboost is making this noise it has gone into the garage and it is coming from the belt tensioner.           https://youtu.be/O85M46ws3GU

• 2 months later...

Yes my son has just bought the 1.0 140bhp, it has this rattle, wish l had looked on here before taking it to the service garage!  They couldn't find anything wrong with it.  Seems to be a normal engine noise from what you are all saying, he'll just have to get used to it.

On 10/10/2014 at 11:08 AM, bensambrook said:

Another video with less wind noise.

mine is 2 months old and done 2000 km , it sounds exactly the same , nothing to worry about , a lot of normal noises this engine makes , loud injectors , high pressure fuel pump, turbo sweet rattle, man its the sweetest engine sound I have ever heard 🙂 behold the power of the EcoBoost !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, came upon this thread from googling 'eco boost rattle'.  Currently looking to purchase a C Max and went to view a 2017 1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium edition with 16k miles. After the test drive I had a look at the engine and it seemed a little rattly to me. Having read the posts it does appear to be normal but just want to be sure before going ahead with the purchase. Car drove and handled well with little engine noise within the car itself. Any advice welcome. Here's the video I took:

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a 2014 1.0 125 Fiesta and this is the sound i hear. When im driving it makes the sound too? Im guessing that is normal too

• 2 years later...

I've just rebuilt an ecoboost after a catastrophic cambelt failure, runs fine but I was really concerned that the valves hadn't settled and was causing tappet noise! I explained to my son in law (his car) and he said tbf it's always rattled, I thought he was just being nice because I've rebuilt it for him but now reading these comments I feel such more at ease! Thank you guys! 

Dan Allured.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club