Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A/c Compressior. Replacement Or Second Hand?

Rob-P

Hey guys. Just got the bad news after £300 of work done already that the compressor has a leak. Apparently this will require a replacement compressor. The choice I have is a new compressor at about £270 (Euro Car Parts) + fitting or getting a secondhand compressor. After already spending a bunch on trying to get the AC going it seems annoying to have to spend as much or more on replacing this part too. Without it seems I wasted that £300.

The car is a 2001 focus so I am not sure how well a second-hand one would go as I'll be looking at parts at least 10 years old (unless the newer Focus' use exactly the same part).

Is there any advice as to what I should go for (new/second hand/cut my losses)?

sadly I think they are all different parts, I dont believe the system remained the same over the years...

As bitter a pill as it is to swallow, I would say buy new, but have a look at pattern parts on the likes of eBay, you might save yourself some money.

i wouldnt use 2nd hand parts for one they are contaminated with debris also in my experience tgey dont last very long either £270 plus fittings pretty good my vw passat would have cost £1100 to get the same job done if you want it to last i would go new mate i know its an expense but its cheaper than 2nd hand part then fitting then regass just to have to buy a new one get it fitted and regassed 6 months later

If you can source a second hand part with a guarantee it's in good working order then why not? On a 13 year old car I would be looking to cut costs where possible.

I would think the chances are if you can get a good pump you won't need to touch it again of installed correctly.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

I'm going to think this over this month before I get my next pay check to see if I can really make this affordable.

Thanks a lot for that link artscot79! That should bring some of the cost down. The guy says he could get the part for £215 but there is still the 2 hours labour to fit it.

Two hours labour to fit ? couple of pipes an about four bolts on a ramp who's he kiddin on a ramp max 15 off 15 on regas job done .the hardest part of that job is slacking the belt to get it over the pulley .

I repaired the broken pump wires that had been ripped of mine. The one in the pis is for a mk one. I have that for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

I repaired the broken pump wires that had been ripped of mine. The one in the pis is for a mk one. I have that for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

How much are you selling it for?

So I've got a friend who will be taking a look at the A/C for me. He thinks it is worth while checking for leaks or blockages in the pipes before ruling that the compressor needs replacing. Taking it in to see him on Sunday, see how accurate the guy was who I was dealing with before.

what makes them believe the compressor is faulty ? also whats allready been replaced ? the ac compressor really is very easy to change on those mk1's 2 hours is a bit excessive

The condencer has been replaced on it and the wiring has been refitted. They say the compressor has a leak- checked with UV dye. I think the time estimate involved bleeding and regassing the system too.

id take that compressor for 30 quid . Get new seals from ford . Ask the garage to degas it and fit it yourself

Definately worth a look, compared to the £300 plus that would be charged for one part alone!

Ok, I've got a mechanic friend to look at it. He says he can't see anything that would be of concern right now. He's gassed it all up with dye and told me to take it to see him again if it stops working. I heading up his way again next week so I am going to try and blast the A/C for this week in an effort to see where the dye goes.