Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Things To Do To Get Good Brakes

k13r4n

Ok guys after jumping out of the golf gti into the metal the only thing I really miss is the stopping power I can understand that bigger disks/calipers will be better at stopping so I'm putting it simple

What is the best disks and pads I can buy to maximize the standard calipers power and is it worth getting braided brake lines as well ?

Braided lines yes.. As for brake power.. Try ferodos ds2500..

• Like 1

Braided lines made f all difference on any car I've had ime. The calipers on any of the drum brake models are just plain weak and changing the discs won't help at all. Pads will not change anything either in a desperate situation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Ok guys after jumping out of the golf gti into the metal the only thing I really miss is the stopping power I can understand that bigger disks/calipers will be better at stopping so I'm putting it simple

What is the best disks and pads I can buy to maximize the standard calipers power and is it worth getting braided brake lines as well ?

Often the car is a LHD conversion, with the master cylinder on the passenger side and levers and bars to the pedal, if this is the case, it can be difficult to get a really positive pedal feel, as the bars/ levers twist and have some "give",

On previous cars with poor brakes, i spent fortunes on braided hose (like Goodrige) different pads/ discs, and re-bled the system to no avail -

often i found the stock (genuine) discs/ pads worked better than "performance" ones,

The braided hose only improves things if there is a problem in this area - like the old hoses are done - mostly, its for cosmetics

And the braking system is like any other system - its the weakest link that holds it back - if the limitation is the discs, no point in changing the master cylinder , often, its a question of finding what the weakest link is

• Like 2

Would it be better looking at a rear disc conversion?

id say rear disc convertion and 6pot front cal upgrade if you can afford it.

Need bigger wheels to upgrade the brakes to 6 pots though and spacers.

Unsure how this car got the highest rating for braking though, must have stripped it entirely.

That's the thing I don't want to change the wheels and I have heard the rear conversion makes the car uneven as the Axelrod itself is set up for drums not disks

The Fiesta ST has rear discs, perhaps it is possible to change the relevant parts from that?

Maybe but because it is st parts they would be silly money

A few of them are junk now, take the entire rear beam off one from a breakers, £300 I reckon would get one inc calipers.

Yes, you could upgrade the Metal to ST spec, including brakes and suspension

Brembo HP 2000 pads are direct OEM replacements with much better performance. Ive got them on my BMW. I think they probably represent the most cost effective upgrade from your completely standard starting point. I would not bother doing anything to the rears - they contribute little to the braking in these light cars - on our Skoda fabia VRS the rear disks keep rusting up, the fronts have an Audi TT conversion and do all the work.

PS I've just bought a 1.0T 100PS for my daughter as a replacement for the 9 yr old Skoda Hence my being here :-)

• Like 2