Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stink

MattDRX

Afternoon,

I've posted this before but here goes again.

Can an ST owner please.

When the car is warmed up, put it in reverse and labour it / cane it etc and then stop.

With the windows down do you get a minging smell?

Reversed up an incline earlier this morning and it reeks, goes away but wondering what it is.

yeah mine does that mate, my 1.0 zetec s stank even more though!!

Was going to say sounds like clutch if you're revving highly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Had it with my current zetec s as well, live on a slight incline smelt like rotten vegetables. Classic sign of the clutch.

Took it back to dealership and then eventually replaced clutch on warranty after countless arguments still get it now just can't be arsed with the hassle.

Think a lot of fiesta's do it.

I don't think it's clutch at all, think it's the waterpump sending the coolant back round the other way and as it will be hotter than it would going back round the cooling system and then being vented to the outside due to a poor seal around the reservoir cap / somewhere, it smells similar to the coolant too, definitely not clutch it's not burning just smells like rank chemicals, it's like oven cleaner in fact.

Plus it only does it in reverse if was clutch would do it irrelevant of gear being used and even on full on burn out attempts it doesn't do it.

Might remove the bonnet on the weekend and investigate further, I bet the coolant bottle is bubbling it's tittys off.

Could try taking bottom hose off the waterpump and check for slime build up just to prove your theory Matt, tell me to shut up if I'm being a prat!

The issue is so common though, must be some crap piping or something if thats the case. I only smelt it in the car. I dont have much of a clue about cars just know i get it too in reverse - never on a level ground only on hills.

Strange.

How would the water pump send the coolant the wrong way though? :huh:

I suspect its in fact the exhaust gas.

Try sniffing exhaust ASAP after the smell appears. The cat can make gas smell very chemically / even like rotten eggs at times.

If it is exhaust gas then its perfectly normal.

I would also say its the exhaust gases modern engines smell awful from the exhaust think it's to do with the cat processing the chemicals ive had it on a few cars (non ford ) when I reverse out of the garage and have the window /door open I sometimes got a nasty whiff just like rotten eggs the fact that you only notice it in reverse would support this

How would the water pump send the coolant the wrong way though? :huh:

No idea, I've actually thought about how and got in the idea that the engine turns backwards in reverse but funk knows how I arrived at that lol but I've checked it and the coolant is bubbling away just after reversing, but the smell is only under load.

It's not exhaust gases either, it's kept in the garage and it's never done this if I leave it in there idling away or revving it's !Removed! off.

Strange this be.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Right had the bonnet off and done some tests, got the right hump over this. The smell is being caused by the flex from downpipe to cat opening up, venting to air untreated as such and being sucked up through the air filter blowing it into the cabin. Given the fact these are highly toxic fumed and carcinogenic I am going to go into Ford and they will not be boying me off as I'll make them put it on a ramp and they can this for themselves, I can't get any pics of this due to only having 2 hands and need another person. But once I've been down there I'll let you know what they plan to do and anyone else having this issue can get theirs sorted. Seems to be caused by the reverse get being too long / laboursome and causing some strain on the mounts causing it to move the engine too much and given the exhaust mounts are fixed it's causing a gap if that makes any sense.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club