Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 115 Remap

TommyC115

Hey all,

I was hoping someone could tell me is it safe to remap a 2005 mondeo 115ps LX. It has just under 150,000 miles, the injectors and DMF aren't giving any trouble, they appear fine. I am hoping to get it up to 140-150. Is this advisable?

Best regards,

TommyC115

No not on a car of that age and mileage. It puts a lot more stress on the components which are fine with a new lower mileage car because of the overheads and lower wear levels but your parts could be nearing the end of their life anyway and a remap could push them over the edge. It's a gamble of course but if your car is working well don't risk it that's my advice. You can pick up a MK3 130 with lower miles quite cheaply now which will be a safer bet.

I have heard the same. I'll wait until there's a few more miles on the clock before changing. Thanks again.

I run a 2002 Mk3 Mondeo, it started life with 115PS and now has 160+ (at the last dyno run, its probably a lot more as its a lot quicker than it was then - it is estimated to be approaching 200Hp), it has the original "base" engine (internals), injectors, turbo, etc the DMF was changed to an upgraded SMF/ cabon/ kevlar clutch, + some other parts like waterpump, aux belt upgraded

Since the DMF/ starter motor was replaced a few years ago the car has been very reliable, apart from when i kept blowing boost hoses off when i turned the adjustable boost up too much, and another time the fuel filter needed replacing

A remap will tend to put a bit more stress on the DMF, and the injectors, but its not as much as you might think and also depends how hard the car is driven

The Superchips bluefin claims about 140Hp more than that would be an exaggeration, or unrealistic with just a remap ( more importantly, though another 42Nm of torque) this is what you can expect from a TDCI115ps, without other mods, the injectors, turbo and other things hold it back, it may have a basic, but reliable fixed-vane turbo (no VNT to coke up/ give trouble) - thats good - mine is a fixed vane

These cars have been known to last for 300+k, they were made between 200-2007, so the newest ones are 7 years old now, many were used as company cars, taxis, don't hold your breath for a low milage one

The 284 to 325Nm (Bluefin claim, analogous to what is achievable with other remaps with that car/ engine) will make a big difference

325Nm = approx 240ft-lbs - 240ft-lbs on a diesel is the equivelant of 240Hp in a petrol car at some speeds in certain gears (its just a theory/ opinion- but would explain why diesels are so realatively quick compared to petrol cars with so "little" comparitive power) especially in the midrange/ rollons etc (its difficult to compare petrol vs diesel and the old "bhp" is getting a bit meaningless these days with high- torque diesels)

• Like 1

Thanks for that. So in essence perhaps remapping or chipping my car up to 140 bhp (no more) may not cause more harm than good. I drive at the speed limit; sometimes a little bit over (not a nutter or anything). I really want to make it a bit more interesting. its a great car it deserves a bit of a kick. I'd really only use the power for an overtake and just to know it's there is what I am after. I was thinking surely I couldn't do too much harm to the injectors, DMF, turbo etc?

To be fair it sounds like you want us to guarantee it won't harm your car. How can we do that? You have a very high mileage car and I said it's a gamble. It's your car and money so at the end of the day it's up to you. No-one re-maps their car to drive like Miss Daisy. You are going to use that extra power and no-one knows how near the end your components are so it could do another 50,000 or it could go bang. It has to be up to you.

I understand Bhp is an almost obsolete term, but just for the sake of reference

• Like 1

I don't want anyone to guarantee anything. I would be appreciative of a well-rounded viewpoint on the potential pros and cons. I have taken on board your perspective which was a very common sense like approach with mechanical merit. Like everything however, there are two ways of looking at things and I am no expert so I have to weigh up the two options and ask further questions in attempting to ascertain the potential benefits and detriments of each in order to make some sort of an informed decision.

I didn't mean it to sound harsh so sorry if it did I am just concerned that you could break a good car. A tuning box just increases the amount of fuel going to the injectors and is a cruder alternative to a full re-map which also adjusts the air mixture etc but you obviously know the weak points in these engines which are DMF, injectors and EGR etc and you must be doing something right to have a car of that mileage which is running well. You will know from reading the forums how fragile the TDCI can be to how it's driven and maintained. I had the 2.2 which took Bluefin well especially 3rd and 4th gear which was a hoot but 1st was still crap off the line! Good luck whichever way you go :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club