Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 - Water In Doors -Normal?

SandyCat

Friend has bought a 3 door Mk6. It's parked on a slight slope and after rain when he opens the doors a lot of water gushes out of the bottom of the doors (but none gets into the car and all the seals are dry) Is this normal? Thanks.

Most car doors are designed to allow certain amounts of water through, it's very hard to stop it getting past rubber seals.

If you look along the bottom of the inner lip on the door you should find small slots or holes.

Get pipe cleaners up there and scrub around to clear blockages caused by sediment and crud so the holes can all allow water to run out whatever angle the car is parked at.

Sent from my S5

Thanks but he doesn't know why the water didn't exit the drainage holes when the door was closed as is normal. His built up inside and only came out of the holes when he opened the doors so the holes are clear. I just wondered if this was normal on the Mk6 3 door.

I've had this on my Mk6 5 door - I heard it sloshing around, and discovered the drain holes were blocked in front passenger door. Unblocked them and the water came out.

You could try experimenting with buckets of water, to confirm the slope issue. It could be to do with the angle of the car - if the car is parked facing up the slope, with a slight camber in to the kerb, then I can imagine the water won't come out of the hole until you open the door.

When you say 'gush' - how much water are you talking about? 500ml? Several seconds - 30 seconds?

I have it on my mondeo as well, if the channels are not clear then as water builds up, it just takes a small amount of surface water under these channels to build up. The pressure of this water against the pressure inside equalises, so whilst you have a light surface water, the water tension means that it doesnt all come out. As soon as you open the door you break the surface tension of the water, the pressure drops and so the water can freely run from the door.

Hmm it's odd because he says the holes are well clear and something is stopping it draining normally when the doors are closed. He has fitted sill plates but these are designed for the car and I can't see how they would be high enough to block the holes anyway and usually the doors seals are inboard of the holes so that wouldn't cause it. Well weird.

From my old Renault days Brrrrrrrrrrr, makes me shiver :lol: seeing as the drain holes are clear, it's advisable to take the door card off and check that the plastic membrane is stuck properly all around. This membrane is to stop water which gets through the window seals etc, from getting 'inside' the car and it has been known that it can be have been fitted incorrectly either in the factory or, if someone has had it off for whatever reason.

Yes worth a look thanks.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club