Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Check The Logger - I1000L Dashcam Review

jeebowhite

Hi Guys,

So I recently tried out a new dashcam. As it was free (due to a few arguments to be had on ebay) I gave it a whirl and can report the following, without the negative impact of saying I have bought a cheapo cam, when in fact I have been given one!

So, I bought this initially: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371088900410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It was advertised as having rear cam, remote control, HD and all that jazz, and it disappointed on most levels, so having complained I got my money back!

The specs on paper look good. But, the camera is poor quality and is quite blurry. You can read signs and lamposts, as long as you are within about 1 - 2 feet of them.

It claims the following:

Full 720P recording - check the quality on the linked video for yourself!

Loop Recording - This will be tested enroute home tonight I suspect

G Sensor - Not yet tested, but I will bounce it off the floor and see how it reacts.

Motion Detection - It has got this, but its not great, I was driving down the motorway and it stopped recording because there was no movement in front of me, seems that the trees around me just blur into one!

So Heres the video:

I will also later try and post the same footage but taken from my current camera the GS8000L to compare the difference!

What video format does it record in?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

"This video is private" ;)

Not working James.

Sent from my S5

AVI is the only format it records in.

Apologies guys, didnt realise it had logged as private :| that was stupid!

Its been one of those days as my GS was inadvertently formatted and I lost the comparison video. Then work was just.... yeah.... travel was a pain in the backside and I am still shattered from screamy little people last night! so its been a long day!

Anyway, video is public now, I will also try and get some vid's tomorrow for a side by side comparison.

Thanks for the follow up James.

I notice they have since changed the item description and removed the rear cam and remote details.

Not having used a cam before, I'd have thought the picture doesn't look too bad.

If there was a bump would that be enough or would the numberplate need to be clearly visible too?

AVI is the only format it records in.

Apologies guys, didnt realise it had logged as private :| that was stupid!

Its been one of those days as my GS was inadvertently formatted and I lost the comparison video. Then work was just.... yeah.... travel was a pain in the backside and I am still shattered from screamy little people last night! so its been a long day!

Anyway, video is public now, I will also try and get some vid's tomorrow for a side by side comparison.

Ahh - the so called "fake" camera lol

I've yet to hear anyone say anything good about the AVI version of those cameras!!

I really must remember to upload a shot from mine lol (MOV format)

to be honest the footage itself is beneficial because it still shows the events of what happened. The number plates can be seen quite clearly when they are close so if someone hit you you would like catch the plate, if they were to drive off for example, you could shout the number plate out loud so you have a record of it.

Anything is better than nothing, and to be fair, maybe its the fact I am used to the 1080p on my GS, the footage isnt crystal but its not that bad either I guess!

• Like 2

A lot of the negative reviews I've read are to do with the camera working sporadically and not lasting more than a few weeks.

They use a cheaper chipset that isn't really up to the job, which explains the problems

you could shout the number plate out loud so you have a record of it.

I think I would be shouting alot more than just the number plate, which would probably make it inadmissible as evidence :lol:

haha, you could do a bit of bleepage! :p to be fair, you only need the footage - the video file itself is whats important, you dont need to have sound.

More videos:

So here is the footage from my GS -

And here is two seperate minutes from the same drive but through the i1000

Ok the GS picture quality is better, but with the i1000 you can still read the number plates on the near side with the i1000. So overall a reasonable buy :)

This was interesting reading

http://dashcamtalk.com/i1000-f70/

Just looked at your GS footage , thats pretty clear I'm surprised. You may want to check the date settings though, according to the video you'll film that tomorrow morning around 8am :)

IcePax

sent using Ford OC mobile app

Jeebo actually drives a Delorian, and he got up to 88mph at 9pm tonight to go back to 8am tomorrow morning JUST to record that for us, because he was such an amazing guy back in September next year

• Like 3

Yeah the quality isn't overly bad on the i1000 and it covers the main boundaries and if someone was to happen to request a refund and succeed then better for being free lol.

Steve I will have a look at that link later as on the mobile.

Mark, yeah I know lol I haven't changed it since the idiots nicked my car until the police finish the investigation, this way I can show them it ad it was if the date is in question lol.

Sean, I love that theory lol.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just added a Mini 0801 Dash Cam from E-Prance with 1080HD in my front windscreen and it seems pretty good so far.

For those of you with Rear facing cams though, have any of you got them mounted behind tinted windows ?

Mark, why not stick up a review of your camera like I have done :) its always good to give people the information and they can use it to make a decision :)

jeebo,

i have the same camera in your orriginal linky.

did you go through the various settings etc to get the best qauilty?

i really must bring mine in and check and delete the card as i have mine on continuous loop,think it must be getting full by now as it

struggles to turn off straight away,its as if its trying to rejig itself lol.

as for the question from someone above i have the rear camera stuck to my rear hatch glass and its tinted and the playback on the screen is clear as glass lol.

im happy with mine perhaps you just got a bad egg??

as for your 2nd camera unless its my lappy but found the playback very notchy.

but as a few others have said ANY camera that picks up what it needs is going to better THEN no camera at all.

think whatever camera peeps go for its got to be peace of mind.

Mark, why not stick up a review of your camera like I have done :) its always good to give people the information and they can use it to make a decision :)

I will do when I've had it for a few days :)

OK mini review time ... I have a Mini 0801 dash cam from E-Prance off amazon ...

It's nice and small and très discreet. 1st pic shows it just to the right of the rearview mirror as you look at the car.

It's easy enough to install and is pretty much a plug in and go like all the others.

Niggles:

1- because of the rain/light sensor in my windscreen for the autowipers and auto headlights i've had to mount it passenger side. Whilst its clear enough recording there is no view of anything coming from the right (such as at a roundabout).

2- the handbook (such as it is) is naff and not great at explaining anything in terms of setting up. Meaning that of I'd left it in default I would still have the GPS logging and not be scratching my head figuring out how to switch it back on.

The viewing program is also hit and miss in terms of whether you get a disc included with it on or not (I didn't). I found a viewer recommended on the t'interweb called DATAKAM PLAYER.

Forgive the bad lighting but basically the camera feed is obviously top left. Under that (when the GPS is switched on) should be a graphical view of speed, and G-Forces during the journey. Top right is a map and again, when the GPS is on it shows you the route and where you are during the video feed on the map. Under the map are the individual journeys.

Overall I think I'd give it an 8/10 - it's less than £100 and probably great as a first camera ... I just need to rethink it's location and figure out the menus again LOL

post-55987-141055063371_thumb.jpg

post-55987-141055108205_thumb.jpg

post-55987-141055108664_thumb.jpg

Was it worth it and how does video quality rank against the samples I put off for this, the gs8000l and the Mobius?