Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust Under Door On 59 Plate

hiace_drifter

Hi everyone

We've recently bought a 59 plate estate, and have noticed a small (7cm x 7cm approx) area where the paint has flaked off, and gone rusty, just below the front passenger door. I'll attach a photo when I get chance.

What's the best way to treat this? Apply some kind of anti rust primer, then some touch up paint?

I do have some Hammerite straight to rust paint, and some ACF50 anti rust spray, but wanted to make sure before I apply them.

Thanks

Hiace

Best way to treat it (given the location and access) my opinion would be:

1) Sand down the area of the rust and around the area also (this helps to prevent it spreading) use an aggressive sandpaper like 400 grit

2) when you have sanded it down you will have removed the surface rust, after a little while you will notice a lot leaves, but you might just have a few rust spots. Use a product called KRUST (available at euro car parts) and just follow the instructions. I would suggest given the size of it, apply a minimum of 3 layers allowing to dry inbetween.

3) buy spray primer (any will do) and tape off the area to protect from overspray. Spray the area and allow to dry, apply 3 coats of primer to give it a good bond.

4) buy a tin of spray paint for the colour match of your car. Apply three layers of this allowing to dry inbetween, If it dries uneven, use a fine course sandpaper (say 2000 grit) to rub down the area and smooth it off once its dried.

5) Once its all on there nicely, then you need to apply a spray lacquer. Again, I would go with 3 coats to ensure the best protection.

Once you have done all this, the best thing to do is try and blend it in, depending on how harsh the paint spray lines are, depends on the course of action. if its barely noticeable, something like T Cut should help you to blend the two together, otherwise a more aggressive rubbing compound may be needed.

Best way to treat it (given the location and access) my opinion would be:

1) Sand down the area of the rust and around the area also (this helps to prevent it spreading) use an aggressive sandpaper like 400 grit

2) when you have sanded it down you will have removed the surface rust, after a little while you will notice a lot leaves, but you might just have a few rust spots. Use a product called KRUST (available at euro car parts) and just follow the instructions. I would suggest given the size of it, apply a minimum of 3 layers allowing to dry inbetween.

3) buy spray primer (any will do) and tape off the area to protect from overspray. Spray the area and allow to dry, apply 3 coats of primer to give it a good bond.

4) buy a tin of spray paint for the colour match of your car. Apply three layers of this allowing to dry inbetween, If it dries uneven, use a fine course sandpaper (say 2000 grit) to rub down the area and smooth it off once its dried.

5) Once its all on there nicely, then you need to apply a spray lacquer. Again, I would go with 3 coats to ensure the best protection.

Once you have done all this, the best thing to do is try and blend it in, depending on how harsh the paint spray lines are, depends on the course of action. if its barely noticeable, something like T Cut should help you to blend the two together, otherwise a more aggressive rubbing compound may be needed.

Great thank you for the comprehensive reply. Will get on and get the bits and make a start.

no worries.

Couple of questions...

After this stage, is the patch essentially rust proofed? I.e. ok to leave a while before painting over? I don't intend to leave it, but two young kids means these jobs sometimes get delayed...

And is there a sure fire way of matching the car colour? I.e. a code or something on the reg document?

Thanks again.

It comes back eventaully its the design im afraid having mudflaps will prolong it but inevitably it creeps back

Had my driver and passenger door bottoms done 18 months ago and its still fine but it was a mild winter

It will be generally well covered And should do nicely in the short term.

On the VIN plate on the driver door you should find a paint code it's a letter then a number generally. Dig this out and it tells you the paint you need. Also if you visit etis.ford.com and pop your number plate in the vehicle registration search that will also tell you the colour if the two match up then better still :-)

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

Have applied the Kurust (at last!)

Can rubbing compound be used instead of ultra fine sandpaper like a 2000 grit? Wasn't sure if they're for completely different jobs.

it should do the same job to be jonest :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club