Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Car Problem

wizzywig27

Hi all

Recently bought a second hand car from Allen Ford, had it a week tomorrow. A day after I got the car I asked the OH if she thought the exhaust was popping a bit, she said no, so left it at that.

Anyway, tonight I had another listen and it's definitely popping. I had a look at my warranty but this does not cover exhausts. Do I have ANY leg to stand on? I did test drive it and it sounded ok.

Thanks in advance

Hi mate just to clarify so others can help you. What do you mean by exhaust popping?

Is a portion of the exhaust rusted and blowing out? Ie replacement exhaust needed

Or are we talking about a misfire causing an irregular exhaust noise? If so this would fall under an engine fuelling/ignition related problem.

You bought from a garage so i would definitely think you have a leg to stand on!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

If you brought it from them, then youve got 3 months warranty on it. May be just parts warranty or labour and parts.

But take it back and tell them about your problem

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Hello, it's kind of a loud exhaust when pulling off, like a boy racer exhaust, like really loud.

It's a fiesta 2009 titanium with 30k on clock. Exhaust looks ok, but I ain't no expert.

Bought it from Allen Ford.

The problem here is that it is expected for exhausts to wear out and could happen any time and is part of the expectation when buying a used car and owning a car. It's not the same as say the engine or transmission breaking. So a dealer cannot reasonably be expected to pay for something which is a normal wear and tear item anyway but it's worth asking them for a goodwill contribution.

General wear and tear - I've only had it 6 days' I noticed the sound a day later

Okay well it sounds like its just a blowing exhaust nothing serious, I would take it back to them and see what they will do!

As you have only got the car it is reasonable to assume that the problem existed before you bought it, They should of fixed it before selling it on to you!

I got a GEM module replaced and aircon serviced by Lindsay ford for free when I bought my car off them and it was 2 weeks out of my 3 month warranty period. Most reputable dealers will help you out, just call in and be fair with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

I know you have only just had it but exhausts don't care who owns them ;) What I am saying is it's not a fault because everyone knows they wear out. So a dealer to be fair cannot be expected to pay for tyres and exhausts unless they were aware they were already far gone and dangerous and refused to fix them as part of the sale.

Ive lost count the ammount of customers ive spoken to about a "raspy or blowing" exaust. Fieata rasp an pop its the baffles inside them. Get a mechanic to check it over. Bit i doubt its anything to worry about.

Like i said previous ou have 3 months warranty with a garage that sells second hand cars

you actually have 6 months as per the standards of the sale of goods act.

You can take it back and request them to resolve the issue as after 6 days its guaranteed to have been there at the time of purchase. Even if you split down the middle the cost its better than nothing, but you can almost certainly push for a repair, if its only a weld its better than nothing!

James I think anyone would have a right game trying to blame a garage for a blowing exhaust 5 months after they bought the car. For a serious unexpected failure yes. For a wear and tear item no. Like I said because it's happened so quickly after the sale it's well worth going back and asking. But I think quoting the 6 month rule for an exhaust is pushing it.

I think that what the six month time period does is to shift the burden of proof onto the business

seller to show that the 'fault' was not present at the time of purchase. As others have said, negotiationwith the garage is probably the best way forward.

I agree, its always difficult when it comes to wear and tear such as this, however as the law states the ownus of proof is on the garage, the consumer has absolutely nothing to lose to contest this with the garage. If the garage can prove undoubtably the fault wasnt there then yes its entirely the buyers risk, some wont have the proof, or wont want the hassle of trying to portion the blame, so some may just take it and repair it (even if its to a just about road legal standard) I certainly wouldnt expect them to put a goldplated exhaust.

Alternatively, the most likely answer is that they may offer a split of the cost in order to keep costs down for both side and the customer happy.

Hi all, quick update.

Took the car in, salesman told me it sounded ok, let me listen to another fiesta, which sounded worse IMO. He was very pleasant and said if I needed to bring it in, to drop it with him, he would take me to work etc then come collect me to get car.

Took it to service centre, he out his hand over exhaust outlet, couldn't find a hole (as pressure built up), but did say it sounded loud. He put it on ramp there and then, had a look and said he couldn't see anything.

So guess it's just a 'loud exhaust' as he put it.

I did speak to woman on service centre front desk and she said they wouldn't expect to charge me after 7 days

Glad they were helpful! :) like i said the fiesta 59 onwards have a raspy sound to the exaust. Nothing to worry about :)

never the less at least they didnt just outright discard you for it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club