Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers Won't Switch Off

jrooke85

I've got an 07 1.6tdci and my wipers will not switch off. I've changed the stalk and check the connections, they are all fine. Can anyone give advice before I go to an auto electrian?

try swapping the relays, I suspect the issue is a bad relay thats causing them to stay on permenantly.

I've tried swapping all the relays what I could find and I've unplugged all the cables from the internal box checked the connections on them. I read a different topic on here and they had to change the internal box, so that going to be my next plan of attack.

so all relays where swapped and it didnt resolve the issue?

In which case the GEM board is possibly still the cause. If you remove the wiper relay (cant recall but I think its the engine fusebox?) do the wipers stop altogether?

On the Focus MK2/MK2.5 a lot of electrical related functions (including the windscreen wipers) are controlled by the GEM module/fuse box. The GEM module/fuse box is basically a computerized module which controls a lot of electrical functions like comfort related functions, the lights, windscreen wipers, etc.

On the GEM module/fuse box there are very few relays that can be changed. Most relays are directly soldered onto the circuit board of the module and officially can not be changed.

Note that if you want to change the GEM module/fuse box you absolutely have to install one with the correct part number (same or higher). Not all GEM modules/fuse boxes do support all options. You may loose functions/options after installing the wrong type of GEM module/fuse box. Also note that a new (or used) GEM module/fuse box must be programmed to the car. All settings must match with the cars options otherwise it will not work correctly or will not work at all.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, got a Mk 3 focus 1.6 and cannot get the rear wiper to turn off. I’m pretty savvy at self maintenance but i can’t find the solution. i’ve replaced the fuse and swapped out the relay and still no luck. i’ve pulled the fuse out for now to stop it. i feel the next step is either changing the motor for the arm on the back or changing the fuse box itself, or doing a continuity test between the fuse box to the arm, has anyone had this before? thanks Stu

If you buy tunnelrat obd2 USB reader and connect it to a windows laptop you can run diagnostic checks that check the gem to see what the switches and relays are doing. This might be a good place to start to see what signals are coming out of the general electric module. 

I have only just brought one and am learning how to use it. I do remember seeing it display the states of the switches and relays to wipers and indicators, etc. You can also read the programming codes from the modules and save them to your computer, in case you need to use them on new parts.

• Thanks 1

If it is the GEM - if it's just the rear wiper I reckon I would disconnect the wires. If I really wanted it working again I might be tempted to wire it up in the old fashioned way, just bypassing the GEM. But having a fuse of course and suitable thickness cable. There is only so much effort / cost I would go to for a rear wiper

It's probably the stalk.  Very unusual for only one thing to break in the GEM.

I’d check the stalk switch first maybe try n get wd40 in there or strip it down it’s got to be that if it doesn’t switch the power off 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club