Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 Engine Malfunction Error

Dougal

Has anyone been unlucky enough to have this problem. I have had it twice, and have been back to the garage twice.

First they upgraded the software, but now, even though there was an error, nothing is logged on the computer or read by the IDS Diagnostics.

Therefore the dealer say they can't do anything as there is nothing essentially causing a problem. However, I should go back if it happens again.

The error has only come up when starting the car, and not during driving. The error disappears and there is no problem with power.

I am frustrated, and just waiting for it to happen again.

we have a lot of focus that do it but its generally when the battery has went flat and we have to jump start it.... if u leave it running a couple of mins and switch it off then back on the error messgae dissapears...

does it start ok? doesnt splutter or sound a bit flat? on the focus they sound like there running on 2 clyniders until u switch them off and back on!

i had an engine warning message come on once so i turned it off and restarted it and it went away.

very strange, not had anything since.

The message and light dissapears after about 10 seconds, or a restart. Noe engine problems. Just annoying.

However, I did have an Alfa before the Mk7 so I am well used to such issues. At least on the Alfa it was actually a problem that was diagnosed, but I did have to pay my indie tp sort it.

This is a cheap error message!

I've had it about 5 times and keep being told its just a software fault, getting !Removed! off with it now! Also have a problem with the seatbelt warning going off all the time.

• 4 months later...

I have a 1.6 TDCi mk7 fiesta which is only 5 months old and I have had the "engine malfunction - service" now message on 2 occasions now.

I took it back to the garage the first time it happened but they said that they can't even find that the car had an error message, never mind what the problem was.

They told be to come back if it happened again.

On both occassions, the fault has occured at night and after I have been out in the car, left it for about 15 minutes and then restarted it.

I also get occurances of the "rapid-flashing red circular light" just above the fuel guage which may or may not be related.

All in all I am not very pleased with my car as I had already had to have a new sump gasket, and crankshaft gasket as the one fitted in the factory was apparently fitted back to front which is why it was leaking oil. This took a week to complete as they could not source the correct part.

Do I keep going back to the same garage or does anyone know of the best ford diagnostic garage in the staffordshire area I can take it to?

I have a 1.6 TDCi mk7 fiesta which is only 5 months old and I have had the "engine malfunction - service" now message on 2 occasions now.

I took it back to the garage the first time it happened but they said that they can't even find that the car had an error message, never mind what the problem was.

They told be to come back if it happened again.

On both occassions, the fault has occured at night and after I have been out in the car, left it for about 15 minutes and then restarted it.

I also get occurances of the "rapid-flashing red circular light" just above the fuel guage which may or may not be related.

All in all I am not very pleased with my car as I had already had to have a new sump gasket, and crankshaft gasket as the one fitted in the factory was apparently fitted back to front which is why it was leaking oil. This took a week to complete as they could not source the correct part.

Do I keep going back to the same garage or does anyone know of the best ford diagnostic garage in the staffordshire area I can take it to?

It sounds like for like to what I had. There is no entry in the software that the error has occured. It also occured just after restarting the engine after a short break. Since I have had the software upgrade for the dashboard management, I have not had it again (fingers crossed). I have two software upgrades overall. One to the power/drivetrain module, and one to the dashboard management module.

Have you had any software upgrades yet? If not, I would insist that they are applied as part of the investigation into the Engine Malfunction error.

Good Luck

It sounds like for like to what I had. There is no entry in the software that the error has occured. It also occured just after restarting the engine after a short break. Since I have had the software upgrade for the dashboard management, I have not had it again (fingers crossed). I have two software upgrades overall. One to the power/drivetrain module, and one to the dashboard management module.

Have you had any software upgrades yet? If not, I would insist that they are applied as part of the investigation into the Engine Malfunction error.

Good Luck

Dougal,

Ive just spoken to the garagae and they say that unless Ford authorise the software upgrade I won't be able to have it. It's something to do with Ford monitoring for potential major problems.

Do you know what software level you are on so that I can compare it to mine when they check it over on the 7th?

Dougal,

Ive just spoken to the garagae and they say that unless Ford authorise the software upgrade I won't be able to have it. It's something to do with Ford monitoring for potential major problems.

Do you know what software level you are on so that I can compare it to mine when they check it over on the 7th?

Alison

I don't have a clue what version/level I am on. I assume only the garage can find out. Are you taking it it a Ford Dealer? If so, I would have thought that if a software upgrade is available for your car, then it would be applied as amtter of course. Software upgrdaes are made available to fix issues and improve running. If it is available, but Ford do not offer it, then in my mind I would be kicking up a fuss.

Hi Guys,

I have a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta 59 Reg..

Last week it went in the garage with an engine malfunction error, it come all of a sudden id drove to uni (30 min drive) drove lovely as usual. When i got back after a few hours i had the error, and the car sort of shook abit and the revs were up.. Sort of like clutch bite.. I drove it home despite the engine warning light staying permanently on

Well the garage said they updated the software on the PCM module and that would be it, its now a week on and exactly the same thing happened again. Its booked in again tomorrow

Is this gonna keep happening? I love the car, best car ive ever drove but this sure is a pain!

The Particulate Filter would be an obvious culprit if it has been short journeys, but not sure if it is practically new. The advise on that would be to give it a bit of a blow out with a hard run.

Although, I got mine after long journeys. One was after arrival in Llandudno form Halifax in West Yorkshire.

I get the feeling this will become a more common erro, but with noe real definitive solution. All I can say is that after my last software upgrade, I haven't seen it since. It could be something that occurs while running the engine in. I am at 6,000 miles now and it has certainly lossened up a bit.

• 7 months later...

Just a thought, but I think that the "engine malfunction - service now" message could be happening for me when I start the car and I accidentally press one of the buttons on the key when I turn it(unlock, lock, boot unlock.. not sure which one). Anyone else think that this could be related?

I've had the software updated and still had the problem occur, they told me it was a calibration problem. I have since had the software updated again, has been ok since, but I am now conscious of pressing the buttons on the key when I start the car, so it might not happen again.

Just a thought, but I think that the "engine malfunction - service now" message could be happening for me when I start the car and I accidentally press one of the buttons on the key when I turn it(unlock, lock, boot unlock.. not sure which one). Anyone else think that this could be related?

I've had the software updated and still had the problem occur, they told me it was a calibration problem. I have since had the software updated again, has been ok since, but I am now conscious of pressing the buttons on the key when I start the car, so it might not happen again.

Didn't the early Mk6 Fiesta have untracable engine-warning alarms, when the coil-pack was needing renewing, but still "just" functioning. Aftermarket packs became available, but Ford cured them. There are still uprated ones on the market. I use Denso iridium Power sparkplugs, which are supposed to be less demanding un the H.T. system, while giving a better spark, quicker, and cleaner.

• 1 month later...

Had this light and message appear on 3 separate occasions now, the most recent of which about half an hour ago. Does anyone know what may be the cause of this and whether it is worth mentioning hen the car goes for its 12k service next week??

• 9 months later...

Hi guys just had my car 2 days only done 40miles. and there is a warning coming up saying

engine malfunction service now???. Feels like the turbo is not going total loss of power and

strange noise ran it straight back into the dealer and he said the garage is shut till monday

so wont find out untill they get it on the diagnostic machine, well !Removed! off. :angry: :angry: :angry: