Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Timing Belt

bazas

Hi all. I am new here and I am in need of so expert advice. My friend asked me to change a timing belt on a 2001 focus 1.6 zetec and after changing the belt and ensuring tdc is correct the engine will not manually turn. I get half turn in either direction. Has anyone any one any clues.

Thanks Baz

Hi welcome :)

have you remove the locking pin if you used one

• Like 1

Did you use the correct locking kit?

Hi welcome :)

have you remove the locking pin if you used one

no locking pin.

That'd probably the problem then, the timing belt and alignment need to be applied with the locking kit first. You probably need to remove it and realign it with a locking pin then refit that is I'd you haven't damaged the engine

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

That'd probably the problem then, the timing belt and alignment need to be applied with the locking kit first. You probably need to remove it and realign it with a locking pin then refit that is I'd you haven't damaged the engine

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

I used a long bar as a locking pin but the crankshaft can still rotate both ways until something hits the pin

The timing tools (crankshaft locking pin and camshaft locking plate) are essential for the correct installation of the timing belt on these engines. A timing tool kit which is suitable for most Ford engines can be found on eBay for about 20 Pounds. Without the timing tools it is almost impossible to obtain a 100% correct timing adjustment.

Note that the crankshaft bolt and camshaft bolts are "Stretch" bolts. These bolts can not be reused and must be replaced. A stretch bolt which has already been used loses its strenght when it is tightened for a second time. A weakened stretch bolt may come loose which can result in engine damage.

Changing the timing belt is pretty easy on these engines. The only difficulty is that all timing belt pulleys are keyless. they are only held in place by the pulley bolts. If the pulley bolts are loosened the pulleys can rotate freely on the crankshaft and camshafts. Because of this it is important to follow the procedure prescribed by Ford to change the timing belt and tighten all (stretch) bolts to the correct torgue and angle. Some aftermarket timing belt manufacturers may prescribe different torque settings than Ford does. In this situation I always use the torque settings which are prescribed by Ford.

Take it off and start again. If you havnt got your crank locked your wastinh ya time.

If you havnt got a locking pin for the crank them remove no 1 spark plug an find tdc. Put a screwdriver in the cylinder an find wen its "on the rock" (when tje piston is about to go down.

You need to make sure your camshafts are locked and the camshaft pulleys are loose before setting the tension (as these take up the slack).

You need the bottom part of the cam cover on and the crank pulley in order to stop it from spinning freely. After youve done that turn it over by hand and hopefully you aint 180 degrees out on the crackshaft. Do 2 full rotations of the cams to make sure.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Take it off and start again. If you havnt got your crank locked your wastinh ya time.

If you havnt got a locking pin for the crank them remove no 1 spark plug an find tdc. Put a screwdriver in the cylinder an find wen its "on the rock" (when tje piston is about to go down.

You need to make sure your camshafts are locked and the camshaft pulleys are loose before setting the tension (as these take up the slack).

You need the bottom part of the cam cover on and the crank pulley in order to stop it from spinning freely. After youve done that turn it over by hand and hopefully you aint 180 degrees out on the crackshaft. Do 2 full rotations of the cams to make sure.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks I will try it today. Does anyone know how many revolutions the cams do the the crank.

Thanks

2 revolutions of the crankshaft = 1 revolution of the camshafts.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club