Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boost Gauge.

supercmaxer

Hi all,

I'm thinking of fitting a boost gauge to my c max. (Why some people are wondering ) lol. Why not. Lol

It's a decent mod and I haven't heard any c max owner having fitted one.

What I want to know is and I have seen read instructions on how someone fitted it to their focus but as my turbo is at the back of the engine do I plug in the t junction in to the pipe that comes up from the intercooler or into the pipe work after the turbo?

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm thinking of fitting a boost gauge to my c max. (Why some people are wondering ) lol. Why not. Lol

It's a decent mod and I haven't heard any c max owner having fitted one.

What I want to know is and I have seen read instructions on how someone fitted it to their focus but as my turbo is at the back of the engine do I plug in the t junction in to the pipe that comes up from the intercooler or into the pipe work after the turbo?

hi what engine is your motor?

what type of gauge are you fitting smoked or back lite, mechanical or electronic,

Have you bought it yet?

If not have you heard of ScanGaugeII

hi what engine is your motor?

what type of gauge are you fitting smoked or back lite, mechanical or electronic,

Have you bought it yet?

If not have you heard of ScanGaugeII

Hi Lenny

It is a 2.0tdci, I'm wanting a mechanical purely because the type of turbo I have and I've been told its because its a diesel.

My turbo is running about 27psi.

A back lite one would be good, no I haven't brought it yet, seen a few on flea bay from £8 plus, not heard of scan gaugell.......

thanks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linear-Logic-ScanGauge-II-Trip-computer-fuel-meter-scan-tool-/121142446251?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c34a708ab

Easy to use, just plug it into the diagnostic (OBDII) port and position it where you fancy.

No drilling of pipes, extra wiring or making holes in the bulkheads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linear-Logic-ScanGauge-II-Trip-computer-fuel-meter-scan-tool-/121142446251?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c34a708ab

Easy to use, just plug it into the diagnostic (OBDII) port and position it where you fancy.

No drilling of pipes, extra wiring or making holes in the bulkheads.

I see how easy it is but just a bit more than I would like to have spent, I was planning on fitting it to the A pillar so no need to drill to the dash.

Hi Lenny

It is a 2.0tdci, I'm wanting a mechanical purely because the type of turbo I have and I've been told its because its a diesel.

A back lite one would be good, no I haven't brought it yet, seen a few on flea bay from £8 plus, not heard of scan gaugell.......

thanks

Mechanical is easy to fit and back lite aswell, I've fitted an auto dimmer relay to mine which dims the light when i turn on my lights result is the gauge isn't blinding at night,

ScanGaugeII would be the best option though, plugs in to your OBD port, choice of illumination colour, it will display your boost, voltage, engine temp, coolant temp, oil temp, mpg etc.

Looks like a turbo timer,

As linked by clive here:

I see how easy it is but just a bit more than I would like to have spent, I was planning on fitting it to the A pillar so no need to drill to the dash.

Hi Lenny

thanks

You can run a mechanical or electronic boost gauge on a diesel, it does not need to be mechanical due to you having a diesel

the mechanical ones are simpler, and will work in daylight (apart from the smoked ones) they need a hose all the way between the engine and gauge, this will have to be routed through the bulkhead

an electronic one uses a sensor and then electrical wires, these wires have to go between the sensor and gauge, again through the bulkhead

you connect the gauge hose (mechanical) or sensor (electronic) between the intercooler and inlet manifold

if you use a cheap mechanical smoked gauge, it may be too bright at night and you may have to fit a dimmer circut, putting the cost up (than if you had bought a dimming/ better one one in the first place)

So you can choose mechanical or electronic, but you must choose one to suit the boost pressure of your diesel (at least 30PSI, as you are running 27PSI preferably 35 or 40PSI) - many petrol turbo bost gauges don't go as high as that

Boost gauges can be useful for diagnosing turbo or boost problems, they dont have to be only on performance/ modified cars

You can run a mechanical or electronic boost gauge on a diesel, it does not need to be mechanical due to you having a diesel

the mechanical ones are simpler, and will work in daylight (apart from the smoked ones) they need a hose all the way between the engine and gauge, this will have to be routed through the bulkhead

an electronic one uses a sensor and then electrical wires, these wires have to go between the sensor and gauge, again through the bulkhead

you connect the gauge hose (mechanical) or sensor (electronic) between the intercooler and inlet manifold

if you use a cheap mechanical smoked gauge, it may be too bright at night and you may have to fit a dimmer circut, putting the cost up (than if you had bought a dimming/ better one one in the first place)

So you can choose mechanical or electronic, but you must choose one to suit the boost pressure of your diesel (at least 30PSI, as you are running 27PSI preferably 35 or 40PSI) - many petrol turbo bost gauges don't go as high as that

Boost gauges can be useful for diagnosing turbo or boost problems, they dont have to be only on performance/ modified cars

I would prefer to use a mechanical one sounds easier to fit lol and plus I like the look of the needle moving around the dial.

you say tap between the intercooler and the inlet manifold ( excuse my lack of knowledge here) I have a pipe that goes from the turbo up towards the front to the right side of the intercooler ( looking at the front of the car) then on the left side I have the pipe coming up to what looks like the inlet manifold which branches off. Its this pipe I tap in to??

I was thinking of putting the gauge in to a air vent.

cheers

I take it you're considering something like this?-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281381221681&alt=web

Sent from my S5

yeah something like that however I was going to cut the vent myself if it will fit, unless I can find a pillar pod for it to fit my car

If you need a spare vent to play with I have a few knocking around.

Happy to donate to a worthy cause.

Sent from my S5

• Like 1

If you need a spare vent to play with I have a few knocking around.

Happy to donate to a worthy cause.

Sent from my S5

Will it fit the mk1 c max as mine is more rectangle in shape than the focus which I think are oval?

Ah yes, :d, I forgot you had a C-Max.

My bad.

Sent from my S5

Ah yes, :D, I forgot you had a C-Max.

My bad.

Sent from my S5

lol, slightly different. im sure they aren't that expensive from the breakers.... lol

Just ordered what looks like the same gauge as yours., just one question if I'm tapping in to the hose from the intercooler to inlet manifold why would I need a T junction? Because only one of the ends are being used.

Just ordered what looks like the same gauge as yours., just one question if I'm tapping in to the hose from the intercooler to inlet manifold why would I need a T junction? Because only one of the ends are being used.

On some cars there is a small-diameter hose that you can "T" into, its best to tap into the large diameter hose between the intercooler and inlet manifold, as there is a pressure drop across the intercooler, but you can tap into anywhere after the turbo compressor, before the manifold, but you may not get an accurate reading of what is actually reaching the manifold, as pressure changes with velocity (higher velocity = lower pressure - Bernoulli's law - the reason planes fly) you might get different pressure readings depending where you tap it in - but the gauge may not be that accurate anyway

You can get a "quick tap" that will tap into your existing pipes -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOST-GAUGE-QUICK-TAP-FOR-ANY-CAR-KKK-K04-KO3S-GARRETT-/151308206893?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233aac032d

just stick it on to a suitable place and connect it to your boost gauge with a length of silicone hose

On some cars there is a small-diameter hose that you can "T" into, its best to tap into the large diameter hose between the intercooler and inlet manifold, as there is a pressure drop across the intercooler, but you can tap into anywhere after the turbo compressor, before the manifold, but you may not get an accurate reading of what is actually reaching the manifold, as pressure changes with velocity (higher velocity = lower pressure - Bernoulli's law - the reason planes fly) you might get different pressure readings depending where you tap it in - but the gauge may not be that accurate anyway

You can get a "quick tap" that will tap into your existing pipes -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOOST-GAUGE-QUICK-TAP-FOR-ANY-CAR-KKK-K04-KO3S-GARRETT-/151308206893?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233aac032d

just stick it on to a suitable place and connect it to your boost gauge with a length of silicone hose

I've just seen the link. Don't quite get it lol. I'm guessing the would use the nut for the inside to keep it secure and then attach the hose in through the top?

as far as I recall the nut goes on the outside of the hose and not the imside but yes this would help seal the gap.

One of the guys did a guide on this on the forum, so have a look around and you might see more of a pictorial on how to complete it.

Yeah I've the tutorial. Sounds easy to plumb in. Just need to get part the tap in to the pipe.

• Like 1

Boost gauge fitted to my c max today. Running at 20psi.

post-43799-0-62133900-1405626849_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice job.

Sent from my S5

Thanks. Took the best part of 5 hours just to get the hose in through the firewall. What a pain.

Just one thing the needle fluctuates a bit, any ideas on how to stop this ?

Thanks.

Thanks. Took the best part of 5 hours just to get the hose in through the firewall. What a pain.

Just one thing the needle fluctuates a bit, any ideas on how to stop this ?

Thanks.

cant stop the needle fluctuation mate,

This is the beauty of a variable vain turbo, part of the whole economical driving and increasing MPG came the variable vain turbo,

Its purpose is to assist the engine in achieving a speed then slowly die off as the engine reaches expected potential naturally,

The car try's to act like a naturally aspirated engine as much as possible to save fuel,

One advantage I've found with using the boost gauge:

It can help you drive more economically if you change gears as the boost begins to rise over 10-15

Psi

Because the higher the boost, the higher the fuel consumption.