Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking Of Buying A Fiesta St

Peterjones

Hi all,

I know you guys and girls know more about these beasts than me. :) I'm thinking of going for a new Fiesta ST however want some advice on a few questions; hoping people can help.

What's the typical real MPG that you get from this car?

Are there any know issues with these cars?

The dealer is trying to charge me £465 for the care kit which is basically mat, flaps and dimond bright protection ....now I can find mats online, however seems flaps are hard to find for the ST - has anyone fitted them themselves and know where to get them from? Also can you buy the dimond bright kit and do it yourself?

All feedback would be great.

Ps can a mod change the title as seems on my ipad I can't type Fiesta ST :)

4 miles each work to the train station each day gets me 30mpg. On a motorway run I've had 42.

The care kit is a rip off and they don't even make mud flaps for the ST so shows how little your dealer knows!

• Like 1

Just make sure you can live with the firmer ride and the higher running costs. I owned a Type R for for 5 years and the ride could be a bit wearing, plus it was about £1000 a year more expensive to run because of the road tax and the fact it only averaged about 31mpg.

• Like 1

Thanks for that really quick reply. See I noticed that but then thought maybe they could get hold of flaps from ford that arnt retailed ...trying to look at a positive in that package price.

Only thing I really think is useful is the dimond bright stuff as had that on past cars. However can you do this yourself or do other companies offer this service for much less?

Just make sure you can live with the firmer ride and the higher running costs. I owned a Type R for for 5 years and the ride could be a bit wearing, plus it was about £1000 a year more expensive to run because of the road tax and the fact it only averaged about 31mpg.

I do worry a little how it would cope on the speed humps on the way to work and currently I'm in zetec with sports suspension getting 43mpg so I'm assuming if I drive nicely (as you do) :) I could get maybe up to the late 30s? But then seeing the figures here maybe that is way too optimistic.

I wouldn't waste my money on Diamond brite, had it on past cars and noticed no difference, infact you get much better results by just keeping it polished. These things are cash cows for the dealers along with GAP insurance which you can get much cheaper elsewhere if you really want it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't waste my money on Diamond brite, had it on past cars and noticed no difference, infact you get much better results by just keeping it polished. These things are cash cows for the dealers along with GAP insurance which you can get much cheaper elsewhere if you really want it.

Yes the gap cover is a joke and will go for click4gap if I have the car as they seem to do the best deal. Not such which option to choose as when I used them last time it was simple, straight forward gap insurance. Now they have 3 packages.

As for the diamond bright, does it not protect the paint work in the long term then? Is that a bit of a claim that is open to debate? What polish would you recommend for getting that cracking look? :)

I do worry a little how it would cope on the speed humps on the way to work and currently I'm in zetec with sports suspension getting 43mpg so I'm assuming if I drive nicely (as you do) :) I could get maybe up to the late 30s? But then seeing the figures here maybe that is way too optimistic.

I've only got experience of the Type R and assume the sports suspension on the Zetec is going to be pretty close to the ST, so if you're happy at the moment then it should be fine.

The fuel is something people tend to forget about. It's a difficult thing to estimate because it depends so much on your driving style and the mileage you do, I'd work on getting low 30's and then you won't be surprised.

• Like 1

Yes the gap cover is a joke and will go for click4gap if I have the car as they seem to do the best deal. Not such which option to choose as when I used them last time it was simple, straight forward gap insurance. Now they have 3 packages.

As for the diamond bright, does it not protect the paint work in the long term then? Is that a bit of a claim that is open to debate? What polish would you recommend for getting that cracking look? :)

I'm only going on my experience with these special coatings, I just don't think they're worth the money the dealers charge.

If you do a search for "Auto express polish" you will find ther annual polish test, I'm currently still working my way through a tub of Colonite 476s polish which was a test winner a few years back but seems to have dropped down the rankings now.

• Like 1

Can you buy this interior fabric protector / stain guard stuff they claim to sell as part of the package as well?

You can buy cans of Scotch Gard fabric protector from amazon.

• Like 1

This is mine I've just done a run up Coast roads n filled her up. But I've drove normally, stuck to speed limits and changed up when told me to. I'm going to give it a blast back see what the difference is so I'll let you know.

post-55675-140525250502_thumb.jpgpost-55675-140525253198_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

• Like 1

Ooh that's a 44.1mpg which is a really good return for driving nicely.

What do you folks make of buying from a broker? Seen some really big savings on some sites but wondering what the catch is? Says it's a new car.

Ooh that's a 44.1mpg which is a really good return for driving nicely.

What do you folks make of buying from a broker? Seen some really big savings on some sites but wondering what the catch is? Says it's a new car.

I'm about to purchase in the next few days myself (not an ST mind you, but that's not important right now). I'm going via http://carwow.co.uk, but I've also looked at drivethedeal (http://drivethedeal.co.uk) though they tend to have interesting Ts and Cs going on sometimes meaning its not quite as cheap as it first appears

I like carwow as you can get lots of varying quotes without the hassle of emailing/phoning around loads of dealers :)

There's not catch, I think they basically get it cheap by placing a huge order with dealers and then using them up over a long period of time, and bulk = discount like with most things...

• Like 1

I've used carwow and prices look OK , however that drive the deal does produce some really low quotes. What are the main t&c s to watch out for on that site?

Im surprised my dealer doesn't seem to want to match the deal I've been offered however if they won't match it then I'll just give my business to the dealer offering me the best price in the first place.

not all dealers will, or even can, match the very best prices out there.

Re the ST suspension - if you've owned cars with sports suspensions before then you will find it anywhere between perfectly ok and on the firm side. But for someone who is used to regular setups yes it could well be too hard. Several long test drives on a variety of roads essential.

I wouldn't buy any of the extra crap the salesmen always push - apparently they often make more on these than the commission on the car itself but the reason is because it's practically worthless except in the case of GAP which is essential but massive overpriced if you buy from the dealer.

• Like 1

I've used carwow and prices look OK , however that drive the deal does produce some really low quotes. What are the main t&c s to watch out for on that site?

Im surprised my dealer doesn't seem to want to match the deal I've been offered however if they won't match it then I'll just give my business to the dealer offering me the best price in the first place.

It varies, I know people have had issues with the prices excluding VAT before, and at the moment there's a few extra ones floating around to get rid of dealer stock.

Don't get me wrong though, I've heard great things about them, just be careful of the fine print :) they've been in business for the years!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Just got back and averaged 38mpg on way back. I would say expect 35ish and u'll be happy :) I know that when I got it lots of right foot action I was getting 29/30mpg.

Re suspension it's a hard ride. Not stupidly hard I like the ride but that's what I'm used to n wanted the girlfriend on the other hand doesn't but does like the seats lol

• Like 1

As has been said ride is firm and certainly more so than the ZS. However you can't have the performance and road holding without it really.

MPG I average 37 never had it above 40 but if you are worried about it don't buy one they are not for economy.

Don't buy the protection from Ford just give it a polish and wax ASAP.

I would definitely recommend the ST however they are great cars. Had mine 6 months and still smiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Peter you are right there a several different types of GAP policy and the dealer is the most expensive place to buy it as they make enormous commission. But you should read the small print of the one you are buying to make sure you understand it. If want any help just message me. We sell GAP and I am happy to give you advice regardless of where you buy it from if it helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback so far, really useful as I knew it would be. :)

I think reading the comments here, its clear that most people think the paint protection you may as well do yourself with a wax and a polish ...exactly what I will do. I think it could be interesting to see these flaps in the "add on pack" they are trying to sell as like people have said, Ford don't produce them for the ST. I think that is a mistake by the sales person.

I think so long as I can realistically get 35-38mpg from the car then im going to be happy. As much as I want one, I knew I had to think about this issue, however what people are saying makes it manageable for me.

I certainly wouldn't take their gap insurance and given they want £399 for what, im not sure. However that top package on click for gap only comes in at £230 where it claims to give you the difference to buy a brand new car. Thanks for that SandyCat - im assuming return to invoice ... goes back to the invoice price paid, where as the other package gives you what it would cost to buy a replacement car at the new value?

Yes difference 1, between original purchase price and insurance payout, 2, pays off HP owing, 3, difference between car value at policy purchase and insurance payout.

Purchase price GAP is normally the most common.

Thanks Sandycat.

So on Click for Gap website which one is the most common / best option for most?

http://www.click4gap.co.uk/

Also if your in the business of selling gap cover let me know as happy to get a quote from you and put business your way.

What do you put your max policy pay out as ?

I only paid £150 for back to invoice GAP with easy gap

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club