Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Go Software Update

BlackPanther832

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, which as a Ford owner for 3 years I should have joined long ago!

My name is Glen and I have recently upgraded from a 2005 Ford Focus to a 2008 Ford Mondeo Titanium X - I absolutely love the car and when I am not at work I will upload a photo of her into the new members section.

I would like to ask for any advice regarding the Keyless Go system in the Mondeo - long story short I went to my car on Saturday and the car unlocked with no issues, however once inside I tried to start the car only to be met with 'key not detected'. After trying a number of times I then tried to start the car using the slot for the fob and again the same message appeared and the car would not start.

I called the RAC who promptly arrived and disconnected the battery, which I was told would reset the 'Body Control Unit'? Well after a few moments the RAC fella reconnected the battery and the car started no problem.

However he has informed me that this is a fairly common problem and will need to be fixed with a software update?

Ringing my local Ford Dealers this morning has resulted in a "£90 to go on the machine, plus and other work required" answer. Is this correct? Surely if it is not wear and tear but a fault with the system then this is down to Ford?

Anyway any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies for introducing myself with a question!

Many thanks,

Glen

Hi Glen and welcome to the family!

With regards the BCM yes, that is the Body Control Module, or Body Control Unit (same thing different names). Anyway, this is what controls things like the locking, and key systems as you can see.

The resetting of this means that the software would be forced to restart, clearing its memory, resetting the sensors and this is why it has worked. As for the work quoted, sadly yes that is the case. Ford operate a strict "car comes in, car goes on machine, we get christmas party money" policy, which means that rarely will a car go into Ford where this doesnt have to happen. £90 is sadly the average for dealers, and because this is a software update its the only way to get connected and get the update, unless you can find someone who has an IDS clone and the software to update your car with.

Ordinarly though if your looking only for an update to the module, they will plug it in and have it done for around £110 more often than not they try to convince you that other work is necessary and so would try to get you to fork out for it, but I would say just insist they do only the update and confirm its success.

Hi James,

Thanks for the welcome and for the prompt and informative reply :)

Ok that makes sense, I recall that the RAC Tech said that it would reset something or other! The only other problem is that when he did this obviously it reset the stereo and some of the Converse system (no problem), however it also seems to have stopped my electric windows going all the way up with one press of the button? Now I have to hold it to make them raise to the top? Bizzare I know!

Well if that is the case then I guess I have no choice, I can't risk driving long distance and this happening. Just a bit of $^%"^$ that you have to pay such massive amounts of money for something that is Ford's issue really!

Is this a common problem with the Mondeo?

Many thanks,

Glen

Hi Glen,

Fixing the windows is easy as pie.

Sit in the car turn the ignition to position II.

for any window that doesnt roll up or down of its own accord press the down button and hold it, when the window hits the bottom and stops, keep hold, count 5 seconds then release. Now, roll the window up again, and when it stops, keep hold of the button, count to 5 and release. The window should now be reset for one touch operation.

I wouldnt say its an overly common problem, as I dont recall seeing much of it at all (if at all) when I was researching to buy mine. Its one of those things that the system can just have a bad moment, a cold day or too much humidity can cause a little bit of confusion to these modules, and they sometimes just need to sit back, take a breathe and start again, thats where resetting them via the battery works wonders. It also works very well for resetting error codes (leave the battery disconnected for 30 minutes) and also getting better fuel economy, as this resets the ECU and puts it into learning mode.

So If Lewis Hamilton had the car before you and forgot he wasnt at silverstone, the MPG might be shoddy, but for the first tank after you reconnect the battery your car will adapt to how you drive, so drive like a granny and you get a high MPG, drive like Lewis and your car will go to its full potential and kill the MPG :p

Hi James,

Thanks for the information on the windows, I gave it a whirl last night and it has worked! So I am over the moon about that! :)

Ah that is interesting, good to know how to get rid of an error code should I need to in the future. Well my MPG has changed since the battery was disconnected on Saturday and touch wood has been increasing nicely, so if I keep the sensible driving up then hopefully I will get some very good MPG! :D

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated!

Regards,

Glen

No problem at all Glen,

Also have a look at my thread for "got an error on your car" you might find that is useful in further diagnostics, I personally have two setups Torque for on the fly reading and a modified ELM cable with FORSCAN, I highly recommend a combination of both of these for day to day use!

You know where we are for a] when you gert an update and b] anything else you need :)

Thank you that is good to know and thank you for the kind words. I will check out the thread and get researching :-)

I have a question about upgrading my audio in the car (I want to use an iPod in the car), where should I post this?

Thanks,

Glen

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Pop it here or a new thread here.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

Thank you that is good to know and thank you for the kind words. I will check out the thread and get researching :-)

I have a question about upgrading my audio in the car (I want to use an iPod in the car), where should I post this?

Thanks,

Glen

Connects 2 works check they are suitable with your cd player it makes your ipod like a cd changer you can have 6 play lists and flick through them and skip using the controls. I think you need to have a headunit that will connect to a cd changer though

Sent from my D6503 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks zeglover, much appreciated. I think I need to do some checks then!

• 8 months later...

Hello, I'm new here. I live in the Netherlands, so English is not my native language and might be a problem sometimes, sorry for that.

I've read all the above and hope it's allowed to ask something about this matter? Or should I start a new topic?

Approximately 2.5 months ago I bought myself a Ford Mondeo 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic Wagon 2012 (I don't know if it's called the same in the UK). I bought it in Germany, but it turned out to be a Dutch car that was exported to Germany in November 2014. I have replaced all the brake discs/pads, the timing belt, water pump and all the filters (except for the fuel filter, I still have to do that..... if I dare) and changed the oil. Of course I disconnected the battery. After reconnecting it I noticed a problem with the radio, but I had the code so that was solved easily.

But as far as I know things were changed after reconnecting the battery. I have never used the car untill today. Today I went to the authority that takes care of the import in the Netherlands. As I recollect the doors opened, this is a keyless go car, when I used the door handle and the mirrors "unfolded". When leaving the car, and taking the key with me, the doors locked and the mirrors "folded in". Again, this is how I recollect it. Can anyone tell me please if this could be right? If so, how can I set this up again?

I hope it makes any sense what I wrote.

Sounds like the body control module is reset, not sure if there is a procedure to do it though.

Also for someone who doesn't have English as a first language, its excellent. Put most in this country to shame.

Thank you for the compliment :) and response to my question.

What you mean to say is that I have a problem :wacko:? Is this a matter of not being able to do it yourself? Or would the dealer be able to fix this?

I don't think you have a problem, like a fault, I think it just needs reminding that it can do these things with a reset procedure. Body control module controls the mirrors folding in, the manual should have a reset procedure, I don't have the folding mirrors but there should be either in the manual or in the Internet a guide to resetting them (try close them then open and hold the switch for 5 seconds to open after they are out then let go, then close them and keep the switch on closed for 5 seconds after they have stopped Closing?) As for the keyless entry I suspect there will be a procedure to reset that too. If you have the digital dash (we know it as converse plus) then you might have settings there for keyless entry?

Someone in a Belgium forum pointed out to me that my perception of how this system works is wrong. And he might be right. I have to push the "button" on the door handle. My memory might be playing tricks with me. This is the problem when you get older :P.

The mirrors work when I use the remote. So I have to try what he suggests. The "problem" is that the car is not at my home adress. This because of the fact I don't have a registration yet. So it's not allowed on the public road. Therefore i can't try it now.

Yes the car has Converse+. I think I have to study the manaul carefully. Thank you for your support.

No problem and I know what you mean, I'm youngish (26) and feel like I have the memory of a 126 year old....

Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm 52. Imagine how that must feel :P.

I'll let you know, after I tried what I was told on the Belgium forum, if it works.

Have a nice weekend.

• Like 1

I have tried it today and he was right. I have to push this little button on the door handle and then it works as I remember it.

Now the only thing I have to do is changing the fuel filter, but I'm a bit hesitant. I was told that I could encounter problems because of air in the fuel system. It might be wise to start a topic about that :).

You need a priming bulb and a syringe with fuel, you need to fill the filter to the brim with fuel, then install and then use a priming bulb to allow the fuel to go through with less risk of air bubbles.

I read about that (see pictures), but I was told that it might work without this priming bulb as well.post-64822-0-02663500-1429467987_thumb.jpost-64822-0-62010900-1429468013_thumb.jpost-64822-0-22972500-1429468015_thumb.j

post-64822-0-68362600-1429468014_thumb.j

Yeah both techniques help. Even on its own just one can do the job but you need to be patient take your time, be thorough. And when you have done that you can start the car with less trouble and make it less likely you will flatten your battery

What happens if there is air in the fuel system? Will this harm the fuel pump?

A full tank of fuel helps too

It just means the engine won't run. You will keep cranking the car over and it won't start. It needs to be bubble free otherwise it will go at any time of it gets started until the bubble has left.

No problem and I know what you mean, I'm youngish (26) and feel like I have the memory of a 126 year old....

Ha ha youngish 26 your not long out of short trousers there fella...god wish I was that young, I have one year left in August were I can still refer to myself as being 40 odd (I am 50 next year) Enjoy your twenties mate.

From a delinquent old fa** !!!