Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Is Why You Should Check Your Levels

jeebowhite

So, I have to admit, I have been lazy recently, coupled with forgetful!

I have spent a lot of time trying to bring the bodywork to its best but neglected the heart of the car, and havent been doing my weekly or monthly checks. Naively, I thought I wouldnt worry too much as its been serviced of late and left it at that... But after telling myself repeatedly to go check when its cold, I got round to it last night.

This is the engine coolant bottle before I topped it up, its now at the max mark!

IMG_20140714_122352_zpso4psnp0u.jpg

I am surprised as its been doing a good job and shown no signs of overheating, but it could have been a lot worse!

Definately worth trying to remember it though, I just got lazy and forgetful!

aea3b3c95be16b368691732609d4b6cdcc53759d

Better to check it now then when it is too late, I have learnt that lesson myself!

Hi Steve, I think with the best will in the world...we all do it!! It's just down to how lucky you are when you finally get around to checking it! Same with checking your oil isn't it?? We all intend to look after ''this one'' when we first get the 'car of our dreams' (or nightmares) but we all get lax and forget and then pay the price!

Good reminder though mate. Glad you survived this time!!

Chris

cheers Warren and Chris,

Yeah its definately good to check the levels all times of the year, I bought a bottle of ready made Triple QX from UCP - £1.84 and a quick refill when the engine cooled by lunchtime!

Its something so small that makes all the difference.

I checked the oil level first as thats the one that had me worried, thankfully it was overfull (about 1.5mm over the max line) but I am not too worried about that, and its too much agro to drain about 10ml of the stuff to get it back in its comfort zone :p

But yeah, I would suggest still get it done, the car can look good shiny and pretty but at the end of the day if the hearts dead then your stuffed :p

• Like 1

The coolant level should be on the MIN mark when the engine is cold. If the engines becomes warm the coolant expands and reaches the MAX mark.

The coolant level should be on the MIN mark when the engine is cold. If the engines becomes warm the coolant expands and reaches the MAX mark.

I disagree, the coolant level when cold should be between min and max. This is why the coolant level should only be checked/adjusted when cold - just like engine oil, power steering fluid and brake fluid..

I'm staying out of that argument!! :unsure::wacko:

Chris

I am not sure why I put this in the focus section so will move it to general ford lol

Either way, I am running it at max and will monitor it, worst case scenario if I need to pull a bit out thats not going to be too problematic, but either way there is now enough in there! either way I shouldnt have let it run as low as it did :P

To be honest as long as its between the lines it will be fine.

from the manual the coolant level when cold should be between the min and max mark when it expands it may go over the max mark

yeah same for oil, I wont worry too much though, there is still breathing room and I will keep an eye on it, will check tonight how far above max it is, if needs be I will pull some out but I dont think it will be too much of an issue.

Either way, check your juices and make sure they are somewhere between the marks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club