Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lack Of Power

nickleback500

Hello everyone,

I just brought a 2001/2002 1.6 Zetec and found that it don't seem to have alot of go, now i know a 100 bhp is not that much these days, but my other Zetec engine fords i have had, seem to have a lot more go in them. I have changed the plugs and leads. The engine starts as sweet as a nut and drives great, its just when it starts a climb, lets say at 60mph in 5th, power is gone within seconds and i am grabbing 3rd and i don't mean a steep hill either.

Its done just over 113,000 miles but is still clean and tidy.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hi Martyn,

When was the last time it had a full service (outside your plug and lead replacement?)

depends who serviced it I guess, but I would suggest checking things like fuel and air filter as these can hold back on the power. Alternatively checing for error codes is key at this point.

Make sure you ourbrakes are free and arnt binding as this could cause a lack of power especially on a hill Climb.

Also as james states a good proper service should help and error code check to.

Thanks all for the advice

At that mileage it may be worth getting a compression test done.

They do bog down especially in this hot weather. The air intake feed from under the bonnet is very restrictive. If you buy the plastic feed from under the bonnet and behinfd the grill to the airbox for a 2.0 Auto you will see it provides a larger intake from behind the grill. That combined with a performace replacement panel filter will improve things slightly. Especially on these hot days.

• Like 1

The slightly more modern car probably has more weight, higher gearing and more emmission "junk" choking the engine (and the engine is set up more for economy/ emmisions rather than performance) than your older zetec engined Fords

For example, there have been a few threads about newer Fiestas with the same engine being slower than the old ones probably for the above reasons

I agree also with B about the hot weather reducing performance too

It also depends what you are used to - i drove a small- engined car recently as a favor for a friend and i though it was knacked - it was completely gutless but wouldnt rev either, it did not matter if you were in 3rd, 4th or 5th, there was no power and it would not accelerate, it died completely on hills, i suggested the timing has slipped - he got it checked and it was ok, i was told it was fine - it took me a while to realise - im used to having 4 or 5 times the torque - if you have a "fast" ot "torquy" car you get used to it and really notice when you "downsize" on power/ torque/ performance

Also - If you get yourself a "proper" fast car you suddenly realise how slow your old car(s) were that you used to think were fast! (its all realative/ a matter of perception)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club