Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[OT] What was your first car?

Nug878

Mine was this:

IMG_0526.jpg

A 1993 Peugeot 309 1.9D Zest.

I actually loved this car. Had it from March 2008 (even though I didn't pass my test til June) and had to sell it in September 2008 as I lost my job and had no money to run it. I miss that car, bought it for £700, had one owner from new who was a local elderly man. Only had 80K miles on the clock (92K when I finished with it), and it was immaculate. I still see it quite often. :D

You?

my first legal car was a 1980 ford fiesta pop plus wich i obtained in 1995 i had to do a lot of work to her bet she was well worth it she would take me from glasgow to london and back with my foot straight to the floor with no hassles

my first car was a maroon fiesta 1.1 F reg, i loved the car and in the three years i had it it never broke down once despite having been round the clock lol, bought her for £800 and sold it for £1200 when i traded it in, i miss that car, dont have any pics as it was before the days of digital cameras lol

my first car was a maroon fiesta 1.1 F reg, i loved the car and in the three years i had it it never broke down once despite having been round the clock lol, bought her for £800 and sold it for £1200 when i traded it in, i miss that car, dont have any pics as it was before the days of digital cameras lol

I had a 1.1 Fiesta too, a Popular Plus 3dr in Diamond White, which was also totally reliable, and a boon to fix as well. You could take pretty much anything off in a few minutes it seemed! 4 speed box and no PAS, old school!

Mine is going to be the new Fiesta, when I get it!

same here! car ive been using is my brothers, mk 5 fiesta zetec 1.25, nice car...but its time for a change and a car of my own :o

My first ever car was a Mk1 VW Golf 1.5 GL in silver. Lovely car - although it drank oil like there was no tomorrow!

first car was a w reg (2000) ford fiesta mk5, a dark blue forget colour, might have been royal blue? 5 door finesse, got it as had 1 year free insurance and to a 17 yr old that was a very nice option as had been quoted £3,500 insurance for a g reg fiesta :o

was a good car, handled well, and helped me in my decision to get the new fiesta, so to me its the mk2, didnt get the mk6 as think it looks pig ugly

• 13 years later...
On 6/11/2009 at 8:37 PM, paulworthing said:

Mine was a 1981 Suzuki SC100 GX in Black and I loved it - FTR 611X. Was such a cool an unique car and I drove it all over the place.

That was my car when it was new.  Wish I still had it. I sold it I think to someone in Steyning and I got a RS2000 but I really wish I still had the little Suzuki 

13 year thread revival is impressive!

I was still on a provisional licence when this thread was started. :laugh: 

• Haha 4

First bike was a Yamaha FS1E, reg ACB907N. First car was an Austin 1100 van den plas £28 from the auctions cant remember the reg. The Austin was walnut trim with picnic tables in the back.

First bike Suzuki ap50 unrestricted sports moped Syj683r. First car cortina 1.6xl estate vcd610j. Bike was good, car was a bit of a dog.

• Like 1

1954 Ford Thames 100e van. 1200cc side valve engine and three speed gearbox.   It was easy to drop the engine and gearbox at the side of the road but setting the tappets was a nightmare.

van.jpg

• Like 1

Well, it's come back to life again.

1962 Austin Seven (as the 850 Mini was then known) complete with magic wand gearlever, floor starter button, cord pull doors, sliding windows and large amounts of bodyfiller!😀

• Haha 2

A 1979 Mini 1000 in white Registration EUE943T ( brought in 1988 ) 

On 11/10/2022 at 7:49 PM, J.Williams said:

That was my car when it was new.  Wish I still had it. I sold it I think to someone in Steyning and I got a RS2000 but I really wish I still had the little Suzuki 

The whizz kid was a fun car to drive, not so much fun to service when your a Suzuki mechanic. Doing sparkplugs on a rear engine car through an access panel behind back seats I vaguely seem to remember back in 1989 . 

6 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Well, it's come back to life again.

1962 Austin Seven (as the 850 Mini was then known) complete with magic wand gearlever, floor starter button, cord pull doors, sliding windows and large amounts of bodyfiller!😀

And we're the windscreen washer button  on the floor too? 

My mum had the sliding window , pull cord mini. Moh355f still shows on car tax checker. No idea why I remember that reg as I was probably 5 or 6 when my dad bought it her. It's just stuck in my head for 52 years

Screenshot_20221111-233036.png

First car was Austin minivan , can't remember the reg of that one. 1973 m reg. I had it when I was 15  and not supposed to be driving it on the road but my dad let me drive it short distances on the road with him next to me. I learnt to drive when I was about 11 or 12 in  mates fields in an Austin A30 and a 35  belonging to his brother . then 3.5 ltr V8 VW Beatle autograss car. 

My very first moped - Honda SS50 - NTY 12M

Bought for £100 in 1977

Screenshot_20221111-234508.PNG

Screenshot_20221111-234538.PNG

• Like 1

I was trying to remember a particular Vauxhall cavalier I had back in around 1986/87 on an a reg , remember the last 3 digits JKv but can't for the life of me remember the others. Then a reg number popped into my head of the 2nd car I had. A red mini metro 1.0 hle . How strange after all these years that reg comes up. 

Screenshot_20221111-235954.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iantt said:

And we're the windscreen washer button  on the floor too? 

No, it was the dipswitch that was on the floor. Same set up on the Midget I had later.

Washer was the plunger type on the dash that you had to pump several times to build enough pressure to get a few drops of water on the screen. This sort of thing:

https://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/GWW102.aspx

Hillman Hunter was mine. Just the Base model but the Scrap Yards were full of the better specked ones, so I upgraded mine over time with niceties like two speed wipers, Rev counter, reclining seats and even an Overdrive Gearbox, so simple to change on a RWD car.

I do miss the simplicity of doing repairs to old cars and because most of the components back then were not make or model specific you could get spares so cheaply and easily.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Hillman Hunter was mine. Just the Base model but the Scrap Yards were full of the better specked ones, so I upgraded mine over time with niceties like two speed wipers, Rev counter, reclining seats and even an Overdrive Gearbox, so simple to change on a RWD car.

I do miss the simplicity of doing repairs to old cars and because most of the components back then were not make or model specific you could get spares so cheaply and easily.

I made the mistake of not checking a replacement gearbox on my 1275gt mini. As some may know that's quite an involved job as the gearbox is bolted to the bottom and side of engine. So engine out and strip. Well I must have had a 2nd hand 850 mini gearbox. 0-60 was a few secs and top speed of 65mph, with the valves bouncing.( Mechanical rev limiter ) .  🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

As some may know that's quite an involved job as the gearbox is bolted to the bottom and side of engine

It was an involved job, I couldn't believe how heavy the Engine and Box combination was the first time I helped someone doing one with just basic lifting gear.

16 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Yes, I bet most of us of "a certain age" do miss that.

When the carb on my Mk 1 Cortina was totally worn out, I spotted a brand new Stromberg (CD150 I think, but it's a while ago!) for peanuts, fitted that using an adaptor, and then wondered how to set it up. I realised that the Hillman Hunter 1500 had virtually the same power as the 1500 Mk 1, so looked up the data for that in a Haynes manual at the library, fitted the same needle, jets, spring etc, and it was spot on! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club