Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[OT] What was your first car?

Nug878

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I spotted a brand new Stromberg (CD150 I think, but it's a while ago!) for peanuts, fitted that using an adaptor, and then wondered how to set it up. I realised that the Hillman Hunter 1500 had virtually the same power as the 1500 Mk 1, so looked up the data for that in a Haynes manual at the library, fitted the same needle, jets, spring etc, and it was spot on! 

Yes it was a Stromberg 150, I'm sure I still have the Allen Key and holding device for adjusting the Needle on these.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tizer said:

Yes it was a Stromberg 150, I'm sure I still have the Allen Key and holding device for adjusting the Needle on these.

I keep looking at my stock of "that might come in handy again one day" bits and am realising, sadly, that they now probably won't!

• Like 1

Fiddling with carbs sounds like a lot of effort. 

Around 10 years ago we were buying remaps for £20-£50 and using a cheap Galletto clone and an old laptop to flash them.  Extra 30bhp in seconds!  :biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Around 10 years ago we were buying remaps

Lol, the only "maps" back then were the Ordnance Survey type of map! Webers and similar with lots of jets were a bit of a faff, but Strombergs and SUs in particular were very simple to work on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

The reality is that a lot of things were done by ear, but back then you could buy a Gunson's Colourtune, which was like a short Spark Plug with a glass top so you could see into the Combustion Chamber when running and looked out for yellow or very pale blue colour to see if the car was too rich or weak. I can't find mine at the moment.

Later Gunson's brought out the device in the photo, which I still have. If you zoom in you can see that 4% CO was acceptable, don't tell Greta🤐

DSC_0794.JPG

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Tizer said:

The reality is that a lot of things were done by ear, but back then you could buy a Gunson's Colourtune

Still got one of those somewhere, too. I'm feeling like my past life is flashing before me now!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club