Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaky Focus

steph181

I have had my 51 plate 1.6 Zetec for nearly 18 months now. A few months after I had it I noticed the passenger side footwell was wet. Took it in to one of my usual guys and they cleaned all the leaves and rubbish from under the pollen filter cover.

Still leaking, so next step they stripped it down more and got a hose on it, found water to be going through the heater motor housing, (I think) and sealed it back up.

Was fine up until the recent heavy rain a few days ago and the front and rear footwells were drenched.

Took it back to be told they *think* its the heater matrix but want it a few days. I dont think it is.

All my research on the internet pointed to the pollen filter cover. I noticed it was not flush with the windscreen so I tried to seal it, but the panel was warped and wouldnt lie flat. I have now replaced the cover so fingers crossed this solves the issue. Now just need some heavy rain to test the theory....

If this fails, any other ideas?

• Like 1

The problem is not with the cover sealing to the windscreen, it's the tray underneath it that's meant to let the water run away from the pollen filter. The water leaks through were it's been tacked on to the cover

• Like 1

+1

You need a new seal from Ford as once disturbed they never sit properly again.

I do believe Ford also changed the design a pair of years back to address the problem.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

So in replacing the panel this should solve the problem? The new panel seemed more flexible than the one we took off, but both did have a tray underneath.

Sorry to be thick but if the seal doesnt go between the panel and the windscreen where does it go?

• Like 1

The seal does go between the panel and the windscreen, but the seal is not what keeps the water out - it only holds the panel down.

• Like 1

To eliminate carpet odour and remove the water from carpet I highly recommend dropping in to your local Tesco and rent a Rug Doctor,

See my guide and review here: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/47749-rug-doctor-review-cleanng-car-interior/

And regarding pollen filter change or leaks,

They are like building a pyramid of playing cards to get right, Im all in favour of servicing the car myself but when it comes to the pollen filter I pay ford to do it because it's tricky enough in my opinion.

IMG_20130921_194436_zps39d87cd7.jpg

Thanks for the tip Lenny. I havnt had the pollen filter changed since having the car, the problems are a throwback to previous owner(s) and well known named garages doing the services..... Hence why I steer clear.

Iv got the water up by pulling up the edge of the carpets and putting towels under, advised by a mechanic that did a lot of off roading. Seems to have worked, but I bet the neighbours think I am mad!

• Like 1

I changed my pollen filter the other month when we had heavy down pours the old one was trashed! Got a new one for £4 and replaced it myself. Havent had any issues with water leaking in as of yet, tho i did reseal the top panel with a load of silicone! Hoping to find a new top panel at the ford fair tho just incase it does start to leak in the winter seasons. Easy job took about 5 minutes and saved a few £££'s on what a main dealer would charge.

• Like 1