Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smell When Using Washers

heli195

I have a terrible smell when I use the front washers in the car. The smell is instantaneous from pressing the washer button but is not a hot electrical smell it's very eggie smell almost stagnant but washers work fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have a terrible smell when I use the front washers in the car. The smell is instantaneous from pressing the washer button but is not a hot electrical smell it's very eggie smell almost stagnant but washers work fine. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

the egg smell is caused by stagnet water mate,

Best advise i can give is:

Use up all the contents of the tank,

Go to Halfords and purchase a bottle of ready mixed screen wash,

Make sure its the purple stuff "extreme conditions"

The purple one contains methanol to prevent freezing in extreme conditions, however methanol is also a fantastic solvent for cleaning,

Should eliminate the smell and germs from inside your tank,

Also if you get an egg smell from your blow heater in the car at any stage, that will be your pollen filter needing changed,

Thought it might be that but thought the smell came to quickly I'll drain the bottle and refill and flush out n hopefully that will sort

Cheers

• Like 1

Have just brought the car so possibly been standings for a while and no additive in the washer v bottle

• Like 1

Plain water is a no no in car water bottles! Especially when it goes stagnate, it can also develop into legionnaires eventually. Not something you want to catch, plus I found water alone never really does the job

• Like 1

Just emptied the bottle and no smell now when pressing washers but no water lol will refill with additive now and see if it comes back

ta muchly

• Like 1

I find when this happens, is to put a capful of disinfectant in the washer bottle.

• Like 1

Get some zeflora disinfectant from any supermarket I had the same problem and a capful of that sorted it straight away

• Like 1

Lol at legionnaires, it takes a long time to develop and needs a constant temperature, plus once the engine is up to 90 the water in that bottle will be over 50 which is effectively it's killing point, not heard that one before. Plus you need to breathe in the water droplets directly to catch it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

Put some - 30 concentrate in now smells of cherries mmmmm much better lol.

• Like 1

It's something to be careful with, research shows that car water bottles are the source of a significant percentage of all legionnaire cases..

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

Link to Proof / research? investigating Legionnaires is part of my job and I have never seen a case associated with a car in the 7 years I've been doing this.

If it was the case and this research was proven then manufacturers would have to implement something in the EU for sure, just as all AC and Cooling tower factories do and all public buildings have to have their water systems and tanks chlorinated quarterly.

• Like 1

So basically no one has done a lab analysis of this they've just done a 2+2 Man in car for a long time caught the disease and that's what we ended up with? Nothing to do with the fact they visited more different places that could be the source of infection rather than someone who visited a single place of work ( travellers are always a higher risk )

Unless anyone goes testing samples and produces some figures on this it's a load of !Removed!, which I cannot find any online.

• Like 1

Link to Proof / research? investigating Legionnaires is part of my job and I have never seen a case associated with a car in the 7 years I've been doing this.

Unless anyone goes testing samples and produces some figures on this it's a load of !Removed!, which I cannot find any online.

37402_410343207484_170969127484_4382213_

• Like 1