Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caked On Road Debris On Alloys!

weenatfergy

Hi guys, it a bit of an OCD issue on my alloys. After cleaning my motor I am always left with this road debris caked on my alloys, I've tried everything to take it off! I can't seem to shift it and today I spent ages trying to elbow grease it off and it didn't budge.

post-54364-1406387341_thumb.jpg

This is the debris^

It's a pain in the backside as it is in between every spoke and as you know having titanium spec alloys there's so many spokes per alloy.

It's more caked on the front alloys, the back ones don't seem to have this problem, I'm assuming because of front wheel drive?

Any help/suggestions would help a lot.

Thanks,

Nathan.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Yes, those 20-spoke alloys they fit to Titaniums are a real ***! to clean even when using a toothbrush to scrub them; I much prefer the 5-spoke 'Snowflake' design which are far easier to clean.

If the major deposits are only accumulating on the front wheels then it's much more likely to be brake disc/pad residue (which occurs due to using the brakes); there are two solutions to this :-

1. Stop using the brakes :D - not recommended
  2. Use a suitable cleaning product, e.g Valet Pro Dragons Breath to shift the ingrained muck.
    Like other similar products (e.g. CarPro Iron X) Dragon's Breath turns purple to show where you've got iron based deposits and its cleaning.
    First time you use it you'll probably see your wheels turn almost completely purple.

I use Dragon's Breath to shift the crud from my wheels and they come up like new afterwards, but be warned like the name suggests it stinks a bit when you're spraying it on. However, the smell doesn't linger and is completely gone after washing off.

Steam cleaner after using alloy wheel cleaner works for me...

Thanks a lot for your reply cap'n! I've had a look at that dragon breath and man is that stuff crazy, I've been going through YouTube trying to find more and more videos. Will definitely be purchasing some of it :D

It's relatively cheap too!

Going to give it a bash , will do a wee video whilst I'm doing it to show results.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply Huey. Unfortunately I don't have a steam pressure cleaner! But I would imagine that would take that stuff right off!

Cheers

Iron X is definitely your friend here. Failing that Bilberry Wheel cleaner will remove that, without a shadow of a doubt... I've budged much worse than that with these products. (White wheels are a nightmare)

Cheers Marc, the videos of that stuff is crazy isn't it! Ordered some dragons breath so hopefully that will be here by this weekend so I can detail the car!

Hi,

To put it simply, keeping the wheels in showroom condition, like I manage to, is easy. All I use now is a wash and wax, and when they are clean, keep them polished like you would the paintwork. Ordinary car polish that's all! This puts the protective layer on, and stops the roads crap sticking, so each time you clean gets easier too. Now they are on the condition in your pic, you will just have to work at it to get them nice first. Anything that stubborn and I remember I used wonder wheels. Not from my experience, but one of my mates used a little t cut to bring his wheels up.

Remember, your dealing with a painted surface here just like the bodywork, not aluminium, and I think the name of our wheels throws people off!

Old Fords do it sideways

Cheers Marc, the videos of that stuff is crazy isn't it! Ordered some dragons breath so hopefully that will be here by this weekend so I can detail the car!

No worries! Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes :)

Hi,

To put it simply, keeping the wheels in showroom condition, like I manage to, is easy. All I use now is a wash and wax, and when they are clean, keep them polished like you would the paintwork. Ordinary car polish that's all! This puts the protective layer on, and stops the roads crap sticking, so each time you clean gets easier too. Now they are on the condition in your pic, you will just have to work at it to get them nice first. Anything that stubborn and I remember I used wonder wheels. Not from my experience, but one of my mates used a little t cut to bring his wheels up.

Remember, your dealing with a painted surface here just like the bodywork, not aluminium, and I think the name of our wheels throws people off!

Old Fords do it sideways

You're a brave man using wonder wheels, prolonged use can cause paint to crack on your alloys. Also Polishing your wheels will bring them up nicely but it won't offer any form of protection. Your best bet would be a high temp wax. I use Finish Kare 1000p and simply a blast from the pressure washer is enough to remove all dirt, then a quick rub over with soapy water and wash mitt brings them up as good as new :)

image_zpsf630ed1d.jpg

image_zpsaccebd31.jpg

• Like 1

Nice one thanks for advice, no I would never advise anyone to use wonder wheels if they don't have to, it's nasty stuff, I would say just once is enough if your wheels have not been cared for by a previous owner etc etc. Thats a good picture showing results of the kare product you use. I might have to get some :)

Old Fords do it sideways

• Like 1

Going to clean up my alloys tomorrow! Got the dragons breath from eBay. £10! The previous owner of my car didn't care for it so it needs a big bit loving to get it looking at its best again. I'll post up results chaps :D

+1 for wheel waxes.

I use auto finesse mint rims. I hear poorboys wheel sealant does a good job too. Makes cleaning a million times easier in future.

Sent from my KFTT using Ford OC mobile app

So, just finished cleaning the car and giving those alloys a good going with the dragons breath stuff I got and man does that stuff work! It's crazy.

I have the wheels a direct spray with the dragons breath first before wetting anything and almost immediately it started working! My alloys must've been ironed up!!

Here's a photo before I started:

post-54364-140795968618_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo after 15 seconds:

post-54364-140795973689_thumb.jpg

And a photo after 5 minutes, it recommends you don't use it for more than 10:

post-54364-140795977643_thumb.jpg

My alloys were gushing iron blood!

post-54364-140795990456_thumb.jpg

post-54364-14079599935_thumb.jpg

post-54364-140796004377_thumb.jpg

I then rinsed them with water and then gave the car a wash and good snow foam, then foamed the wheels

post-54364-140796017714_thumb.jpg

Another rinse off:

post-54364-140796029574_thumb.jpg

(Ignore the purple bit on the left hand side, that's my phone camera!)

All washed and looking good! post-54364-140796065603_thumb.jpg

I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to really clean their alloys and take the caked on ironised crap off :D

Yeah, fallout/iron removers are awesome!

Unfortunately they all stink to ridiculous levels but it's worth it for the results! Only used Iron X so far but it's equally awesome!

I hate dirty wheels, was cleaning my car earlier and did my dads wheels while I was at it as you could barely tell they were silver! Much better now :D

Nice! Yeah it's good stuff, worth the money

I always seal my alloys with spray wax after cleaning. Or if I 3 stage (paint cleaner, Polish, wax) the car, I do the same with the wheels. :)

I always seal my alloys with spray wax after cleaning. Or if I 3 stage (paint cleaner, Polish, wax) the car, I do the same with the wheels. :)

Nice one! I have now started polishing and waxing them. Hopefully the dirt will not stick to them as much, they also look good afterwards!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A guy I know bought a BMW and the allows looked like they had been driven through a tar pit so he got cement acid and washed them with that worked like a charm mind you don't get it on your hands

A guy I know bought a BMW and the allows looked like they had been driven through a tar pit so he got cement acid and washed them with that worked like a charm mind you don't get it on your hands

I used dragons breath.. Have a look at my post above :D thanks for the tip !

Seen the pictures alright looks good I am going to get a bottle of that stuff

Seen the pictures alright looks good I am going to get a bottle of that stuff

I got it from eBay for a tenner! It's brilliant, stinks big time though!

wheels are looking good bud. after giving my wheels a good cleaning I then seal them with poor boys wheel sealant and it lasts a long time .

you don't need to use much, they recommend two light coats but if you don't have the time then one coat works just as well and once applied I find I don't need any cleaners just soap and hot water . happy days .

Chemical Guy's Diablo Wheel Gel will see them like new. Great stuff and can be used on any wheel surface. Totally safe on break parts too.

• 4 weeks later...

just seen your post and my god your wheels where in a right state buy the way the dragons breath was working but look much better after.

don't envey you keeping then clean hate them ford alloy with a passion

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club