Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 51 Dura Toro Tdci Diesel

whosroundisit?

Hi, i have a mondeo estate that used to work fine but wont start anymore. It trys to turn over and some for 4-5 seconds it sometimes runs but very bad then cuts out. Think it maybe injectors but dont know. Is it as straight forward as changing injectors or should i be looking somewhere else? On turnover fuel is entering each injector i checked by loosing off each of the top bolts. I have also tried the injection cut off button but thats doesnt 'click' on or off just presses in. Need a run down if anyone knows! Thanks alot

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Its quite probable its a bad injector, you need a compression and a leakoff test done to see what the issue is.

Hi, i have a mondeo estate that used to work fine but wont start anymore. It trys to turn over and some for 4-5 seconds it sometimes runs but very bad then cuts out. Think it maybe injectors but dont know. Is it as straight forward as changing injectors or should i be looking somewhere else? On turnover fuel is entering each injector i checked by loosing off each of the top bolts. I have also tried the injection cut off button but thats doesnt 'click' on or off just presses in. Need a run down if anyone knows! Thanks alot

Although it could be injectors there are a lot of other things that can go wrong as well

Your best bet is to aqquire a code reader to check your fault codes, that may help point you in the right direction or eliminate some faults, and can save you wasting a lot of money unnessisarily (i have read stories about owners replacing lots of different components, trying to guess what is wrong )

Your car is pre- OBD11, so you will need an OBD code reader with the Ford protocols (Bluefin or F-super) - many of the code readers you see online will not work on your car (though the plug/ socket is the same)

It may be worth doing the "service" items like the filters (especially the fuel filter) etc, as these need to be replaced regularily anyway (if they have not been done recently)

Another thing worth doing is fitting a solid EGR blanking plate

some components/ jobs are expensive - some owners choose not to keep their car if the cost of fixing it is extortionate (the estate is very practical, though, so worth a bit more, )

Thanks for answers really appreciate it! I managed to get the car running with easy start which confirms its a fuel issue. After disconnecting the fuel filters intake i turned the engine over and no fuel was forthcoming from the pipe?? Checked the pump under the seat and power is getting to it. This means the pump is goosed or am I missing something? And how the holy !Removed! do I remove that pump? Thanks again people

Yes, fuel supply sounds quite likely for those symptoms.

Check carefully that the immobiliser isn't coming on, because that can disable the fuel pump. Beyond that, it is going to be hard work, because it might be the pump itself, blockages in the fuel line, or a blocked fuel filter or air getting into the line or an airlock. If a code reader doesn't point you directly at something, which it possibly won't, you might find it easier to get someone else to deal with it.

One clue might be whether it sounds as if the fuel pump runs (and, if it runs, does it sound as if it keeps running, after, say, the first 30 seconds)?

Thanks again for the info - If the immobiliser was coming on would it still try to turn over? I also thought about the cut off switch but it doesn't say in the haynes what or where it cuts off? When i removed the cut off switch it seemed to be lose rather a solid 'on off' click?

...If the immobiliser was coming on would it still try to turn over?

I believe that it would, but that may depend on year, etc, etc as they have improved the anti-theft measures over the years. Anyway, it is very likely that anti-theft being active will cut the fuel pump as its primary measure, and it might do other things as well.

I also thought about the cut off switch but it doesn't say in the haynes what or where it cuts off? When i removed the cut off switch it seemed to be lose rather a solid 'on off' click?

Yes, I hadn't though of that one. The cut off switch will definitely cut the fuel off, that being its primary purpose. I don't know how 'clicky' versus 'loose' the switch should be, but, if it is easy enough to get at, checking it out with an ohmmeter would make sense. You could even short it out (I'm assuming that short = normal operation and open = fuel disabled) as an experiment. As it is a safety feature, you obviously wouldn't want to leave it that way, but it could prove a point (or not) and it could be a test that you would be prepared to do while the vehicle was parked up somewhere safe.

The point of the cut off is that, if you have had an accident and, for example, fuel pipes have been ripped, having the fuel pump continue to operate and spray fuel all over the wreckage is considered unhelpful. Now, it is probably even more unhelpful - verging on spectacularly unhelpful, in some cases - if the fuel being sprayed is petrol, but being sprayed in diesel is unhelpful enough that you would want to avoid it. I think it is probably a legal requirement to have a cut-off facility if you have an electric pump, although I'll admit to being unclear on the details.

Thanks Bof more than helpful! I will test the cut off although i did check the wires into the pump under the seat when turning over and theres a good current to it - surely of the cut off was functional then there would be no power to it? Jeysus I dont know bring back the old diesels none of these electrical pumps :)post-52559-140740059603_thumb.jpg

Righto. Removed the sender unit tested it seems fine but it isn't a pump?? Theres a fuel gauge sensor and a plastic cylinder with a formation of plastic inside. No motors of any sort. How can this be a pump?? Am i being numpty as its called a sender pump. Where is the fuel lift pump? I cant find it underneath the car??

Some of the TDDIs have a lift pump under the car, in front of the tank, depending on model

the main diesel fuel pump (on the TDCIs) is on the engine/ block on the left-hand-side

Have you fitted a new fuel filter and bled the system?

Urrrrr right i have worked bk from the tank and found that next to no fuel is coming out of the pump to the common rail on turn over - the cut out switch has been bypassed temporary so it aint that and there no fault codes! Chappin me !Removed!!!

Cant get the system to bleed dont think the pump engaging tried towing it aswell no joy. Had a professional diagnostics plugged in and no faults!! Would it say that the pump is faulty?