Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing The Rear Ford Badge

Goulash69

Hi guys, just need a quick point in the right direction from someone who knows.

I've brought a replacement for the rear ford emblem as the old one is looking tatty already (cheap badges by ford) I just need some help on how to remove it.

I have done it on another car with a hair dryer and a screwdriver to prise it off but I don't want to go scratching paintwork or anything on my lovely foci, so I just wondered if there are any tips someone could give me to removing it properly.

Thanks, josh

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

try fishing line and heat

Not sure if its the same as thr 2.5 but if it is Pop off the full trim holding the badge on to save body work then heat and hack, fish line didn't work as the badge is ( on the 2.5) hollow and getting the wire in under the badge but over the plastic was impossible, you'll have to bend off the badge to get to it anyway so you may as well just hack it all off then mess with the wire, the sticky pads ford used are unbelievably strong!!

• Like 1

Wasnt there a deal with ford that they replace them for free?

I destroyed my rear badge getting it off but the plan was to fit another which I had painted in any case - had to snip the edges of it so I could peel it up and get something in there to prise it off the finisher.

My mate managed to get the one off his RS ok though with heat, so he could wrap the chrome area black (same as I painted)

• Like 1

Ok cheers guys, I shall have a look at the weekend with my screwdriver and hammer in hand :L

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I’m attempting this on Monday 

reading between the lines heat is the kiddy with steady leverage 

if this is wrong I’m contacting my solicitor 😄👍🏼

The easiest way to remove the rear Ford badge on a Focus MK3 is by piercing it in the middle with a small screwdriver or an awl. Once there is a hole in the badge it can easily be pulled / pried off. During time the adhesive is usually deteriorated which makes removal very easy. This method is also used by many Ford dealers.

The Focus MK3 rear Ford badge is hollow at the back. It is made of stamped aluminium. The badge is partly painted and partly polished to look like chrome. Afterwards the badge is protected with a layer of varnish / clearcoat. This type of badge is known to corrode quite easily. The varnish / clearcoat does not bond quite well to the polished parts of the badge. As a result of this the varnish / clearcoat cracks and the corrosion process has free play. The problem was that bad that in the early days of the Focus MK3 even Young vehicles (less than a Year old) did suffer from corroded rear badges. Since then the quality of the badges has improved a bit but in reality the badges are still pretty low quality. The rear badge of my Focus MK3 has been replaced 3 times under warranty and afterwards a 4th time at the time Ford replaced deteriorated badges for free.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, I want to change the badges on my 08 plate s-max. Will heat gun work here too? Many thanks for your help.

6 minutes ago, Nikkib said:

Hi, I want to change the badges on my 08 plate s-max. Will heat gun work here too? Many thanks for your help.

Do NOT use a heat gun, you could blister the paint. A hair dryer is more than sufficient to soften the old adhesive...

Cheers for the heads up, the rear badges aren't screwed in are they? I haven't actually looked yet myself but husband seems to think it is 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for the heads-up on Dealer's offering the replacement under warranty.

I had a chat with an advisor on Ford's online web chat last night and they confirmed this is still the case (I quoted 120 months/10 years).
I'll be booking it in shortly for free :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club