Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Fob Falling Off

bettz

Ok this is probably going to sound daft :wacko: but has anybody else's key fob fallen off there keyring??

It seems to be coming lose where you thread the keyring through the corner and slipping off

Getting slightly worried im going to misplace it

Any way to combat this ? i dont fancy paying for a new fob & key as im sure they'll be expensive

Do you mean the metal ring on the fob is loose and works its way off, or part of the plastic fob itself is loose and allowing the metal bit to come off? If it's the former can't you just replace the ring with another?

At a guess you are probably talking about the metal ring, just find a thicker sturdier metal ring and thread that through the keyfob instead of having the little ring.

If its the actualy keyfob, then you're probably gonna have to get atleast new housing for it, or Ford might replace it.

Just a mild guess really! My keyfob is fine.

I'm talking about the plastic housing.

I've threaded a metal ring through the corner and noticed the housing moves open a little when you twist the metal ring which is then causing it to fall off

This might be a pointless thought, but is it a large metal ring you've put through there? The one that comes on the key is tiny (aboout 1cm diameter), if it's a larger one maybe the extra force it can apply when twisted is enough to separate the key pieces? Or the key is just damaged, as said see if you can get a free replacement (depending on how long you've had the car), buy an empty case which will cost a lot less than one with all the innards, or just stick some glue in there! That's a last resort though, will make it hard to open when the battery needs changing...

I had this problem.

I got a non OEM flip key and it didn't come with a ring.

I found a split ring that fitted but found that the ring kept coming off.

I surmised that it was due to the ring being too large and easily twisted meaning the halves of the fob push apart causing it to pop out from under the plastic tab the ring hooks around.

I scavenged an original ring off a broken key at work and the problem has not re-occurred since.

Try and find the smallest split ring you can and fit that instead.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Ford OC mobile app

Yes that's the problem I got no silver ring with the fob.

I've attached it to my keyring it is quite a large metal ring.

So I need to find a smaller ring anyone got a pic on what I should be looking for?

Notice the tiny little ring that connects the key to my keyring.

You need something like that.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

post-50491-140687440613_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for one or what to search for.

Small metal ring lol

Try eBay. The thing is though where ever you get one I can't see it being just one ring. You might have to buy a set. I'll have a look for you.

Here you go. 12 mm. The smallest quantity you can buy is 2. Only 99p.

111241549390 type that item number into eBay.

The fob ones are only about 5-6mm.

You can pick up ones that size from fishing tackle shops.

• 4 years later...

Just found this post again after my partners parents bought a fiesta and noticed there key fob falling off. I'm still having problems with the key fob has nobody else had this problem?

You can see where the fob splits in half 

I've tried using a smaller ring but that makes it worse as it's easier to slip through.

IMG-20190130-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20190130-WA0003.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mine is like the Karlos picture above. Never really examined it in detail before but it does look quite flimsey there like the gap between the two halves would open up very easily

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

i have just sorted this issue on ford fobs with my 2014 galaxy.

remove all metal rings from the fob.repkace with a heavy duty 6mm zip tie  and pull it together leavingca small loop,then attach your ring.the zip tie fills the slot not giving it any room to come out. job done.

Edited by martin howarth
showing pics
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

For any one still trying to find a simple fix to this problem I found that using a M6 washer fixes it and it's a perfect fit.

You can get a M6 washer from most hardware stores for next to nothing. Ask around some one will have some knocking about. 

20230510_105837.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, vmbigv said:

You can get a M6 washer from most hardware stores for next to nothing.

For our American readers can they use a 1/4 inch or does it have to be metric ? 🤔

• Haha 1

Must confess I find this whole discussion bewildering! Hard to believe there are men out there that can't rummage through a drawer and find a dozen solutions to this :laughing: Maybe it's because I'm old and over the decades have collected enough 'stuff' in several man drawers to fix a fob to a key ring LOL

• Haha 2

I feel like I'm missing a trick here, anyone want to buy some M6 washers?  £1 each inc postage. 😁

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club