Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8 Zetec (X)

wooddemon

When i'm driving along, any gear and put my foot down there's a chugg for a second (loss of acceleration) then takes off could it be the air flow meter? Already corrected one problem, it was almost stalling and did a few times when i came to a stop, this was a vecume pipe coming from the rear of the engine to a metal pipe on the right above the gear box it had collapsed and had a split in it, replaced it and solved the stalling out, just the chugg to go so any help on what to do or what the problem could be would be appreciated, done a service on it but not changed fuel filter yet, don't know if that could have something to do with it, doubting it though,

Chris....

When i'm driving along, any gear and put my foot down there's a chugg for a second (loss of acceleration) then takes off could it be the air flow meter? Already corrected one problem, it was almost stalling and did a few times when i came to a stop, this was a vecume pipe coming from the rear of the engine to a metal pipe on the right above the gear box it had collapsed and had a split in it, replaced it and solved the stalling out, just the chugg to go so any help on what to do or what the problem could be would be appreciated, done a service on it but not changed fuel filter yet, don't know if that could have something to do with it, doubting it though,

Chris....

Could be a simple thing as sticking throttle body, on my old 1.8 w reg focus had this problem the throttle body would stick causing a delay in the power,

Few things to check is disconnect the air intake hose from the airbox at the butterfly throtle and with engine running just have a play with the throttle see if it moves cleanly,

if there is a lot of carbon deposit on the housing the butterfly will get stuck just use some carb cleaner to get it off should fit it, also check the loom to the air flow meter,

One way to check if it is that is to disconnect it, engine goes to safe mode and uses set values, if it feels better than you have your asnwer if not then good bet the meter is ok

Could be a simple thing as sticking throttle body, on my old 1.8 w reg focus had this problem the throttle body would stick causing a delay in the power,

Few things to check is disconnect the air intake hose from the airbox at the butterfly throtle and with engine running just have a play with the throttle see if it moves cleanly,

if there is a lot of carbon deposit on the housing the butterfly will get stuck just use some carb cleaner to get it off should fit it, also check the loom to the air flow meter,

One way to check if it is that is to disconnect it, engine goes to safe mode and uses set values, if it feels better than you have your asnwer if not then good bet the meter is ok

Throttle body seems all in order, disconected flow meter plug and there is still that slight variation in tick over very very slight mind, the chugg eg if i'm coming round a tightish bend in 3rd which many a car can do this when i accelerate it will chugg 2-3 times but does it in ant gear even after being at a steady pace then putting foot down, if you accelerate slow it seems ok, been told it could be the coil pack or HT leads overloading so think i'm going to have to replace them to eliminate hte idea.

Throttle body seems all in order, disconected flow meter plug and there is still that slight variation in tick over very very slight mind, the chugg eg if i'm coming round a tightish bend in 3rd which many a car can do this when i accelerate it will chugg 2-3 times but does it in ant gear even after being at a steady pace then putting foot down, if you accelerate slow it seems ok, been told it could be the coil pack or HT leads overloading so think i'm going to have to replace them to eliminate hte idea.

Just ordered new coil pack and some k1 quad core ht leads, been told they could be defective and overloading, eliminate one thing at a time i guess

Well changed coil pack and everything seemed good untill it got to running temp and yes the chugg was still there, does anyone know where the other breather pipes are as i've now got a feeling since its happening when its warmed up one of them could be collapsing with the heat therefore starving it in some way

• 9 months later...

i am having kind of the same issue with my focus (56 reg, 1.8 petrol). When on neutral and i press the gas there is a slight delay (around or less than a second). It becomes really noticeable when on first, second and lesser on third gear, foot off the clutch then gently press the gas. The car will not accelerate straight away but delays the acceleration and then suddenly there is a surge in acceleration, pushing you back on your seat.

Can anybody shed any light on that?

Woddemon, how did you fix it?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club