Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used Focus from Ford dealer - missing spare key

davey_e

Hi,

My wife bought a Focus Ghia (06/06 plate) from a Ford dealer and went to pick it up yesterday and they said they had lost the spare key, but they had got a new one cut. However it was obviously just a normal key, not a key with buttons and so she asked them to get her a proper replacment key with buttons and they were hesitant about doing that because it would cost a lot to get one made and programmed. Fortunately she didn't take no for an answer and so they should be arranging to get a proper key made/programmed.

We're going to chase them up in a couple of days to make sure they are doing it, but in the mean time I just wanted to check a couple of things:

1. What type of spare key should actually have been supplied with this car when it was new? Should it be a proper key fob, a master key or just a normal key? Just want to check in case we're pushing for something that wasn't actually with the car originally.

2. Should we actually insist on them changing the locks on the car? Obviously the fact that the spare is missing could comprimise the security of the car, so I'm thinking that we could insist on them doing that, but I'm not sure if its even possible to just change the locks or if the whole immobiliser/security system would have to be changed too.

If anyone can help answer these questions I'd be really grateful and if anyone has any general advise about this situation that would be great too.

Cheers

Hi,

Credit to your wife for not taking no as an answer. About which key you should have... You should have an identical fob key I would have thought. My Dad's 05 Vauxhall Astra with the equivalent trim level has two identical key fobs.

If I was in this situation I think I'd be happy with them providing and programming a new key for you. I highly doubt they'll change the locks for you, because like you said, it may involve them having to do extensive work to the immobilising system as well.

Well personally when i picked up my own car the spare key was NOT a fob key with the lock and boot buttons , just a simple key ! As for the locks i dont know , look at it this was if someone wanted to break into your car they could easily have another key cut making their 3 keys in circulation. Knowing ford it will cause problems if you ask them to change the locks , i dont think its a good idea as ford does not have the best customer service in the world !!!!!!!

!Removed! up and brewerys spring to mind ! :lol:

When i picked my car up from the garage, i got 2 keys, 1 had buttons and 1 was just a key, so i just kept the key in a safe place.

Your ignition and your key will have the same code on them, therefore just getting the key cut from a random keycutter, will not work when trying to start your car.

when i picked up my mondeo 06 reg it had two remote fobs with it.

keep chasing the dealership up, i deal with greyhound and if im ever getting something done i have to ring up daily to keep on top of them, great cars shame about the sales team

1. What type of spare key should actually have been supplied with this car when it was new? Should it be a proper key fob, a master key or just a normal key? Just want to check in case we're pushing for something that wasn't actually with the car originally.

2. Should we actually insist on them changing the locks on the car? Obviously the fact that the spare is missing could comprimise the security of the car, so I'm thinking that we could insist on them doing that, but I'm not sure if its even possible to just change the locks or if the whole immobiliser/security system would have to be changed too.

If anyone can help answer these questions I'd be really grateful and if anyone has any general advise about this situation that would be great too.

Cheers

To answer your questions -

I too have a 2006 Focus. They came with 1 standard 'fob' key and 1 regular key, which does have a chip inside it. (You'll see a blue or red plastic tab on it). When you get a new key, all the keys and the immobiliser system get re-programmed via a laptop at your Ford dealer. Getting a key cut is fine for just locking/unlocking the car, but it wont be coded to switch-off the immobiliser if you insert it into the ignition. You can code a new fob key via the ignition, but that ONLY codes the lock/unlock part of the key, NOT the immobiliser. Note - if you purchase a new key, the re-coding costs around £99 and takes about an hour.

As for changing the locks - they've lost the key, so if you can be certain that it existed in the first place, then personally, I wouldn't bother. However, someone could still gain access to your car, even if they wont be able to start it once you've had the keys all re-coded, so on that basis, a lock-change could be worth pursuing. I think you need to be certain that both keys existed when you purchased the vehicle, and one has since gone walkies. If not, the original owner could also have the spare key.

To answer your questions -

I too have a 2006 Focus. They came with 1 standard 'fob' key and 1 regular key, which does have a chip inside it. (You'll see a blue or red plastic tab on it). When you get a new key, all the keys and the immobiliser system get re-programmed via a laptop at your Ford dealer. Getting a key cut is fine for just locking/unlocking the car, but it wont be coded to switch-off the immobiliser if you insert it into the ignition. You can code a new fob key via the ignition, but that ONLY codes the lock/unlock part of the key, NOT the immobiliser. Note - if you purchase a new key, the re-coding costs around £99 and takes about an hour.

As for changing the locks - they've lost the key, so if you can be certain that it existed in the first place, then personally, I wouldn't bother. However, someone could still gain access to your car, even if they wont be able to start it once you've had the keys all re-coded, so on that basis, a lock-change could be worth pursuing. I think you need to be certain that both keys existed when you purchased the vehicle, and one has since gone walkies. If not, the original owner could also have the spare key.

i would of wrote what daveford the wise wrote

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club