Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To Mot Or Not To Mot...

Mental_Atom

Hey guys,

My P-reg fiesta is due for its MOT at the end of the month (already booked), however if it fails I'm not paying to fix it as it's already cost me a small fortune. Also, I have a new ZS on order for October so I can cope without it temporarily.

Now, it's pretty broken anyways (engine is burning crazy amounts of oil), but it's also got a knocking on the drivers side corner, the brakes feel a little less sharp than they once did, and its just generally creaking and groaning a lot and the steering feels like it's got heavier recently too.

If it was you, would you spend the money for the MOT even though it'll probably fail (I think), or would you just go straight to SORN and avoid the expense of the test?

Opinions please!

Thanks guys :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ford OC mobile app

What are your plans for it once you have the new one?

Sounds like you've already resigned to it failing so may as well save the money

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

if it was me i would scrap it and get some cash from them also would save you money there .....

have a wee look here

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/14/getting-rid-old-car-scrap

read the "Scrapping" section it gives good info to claim back things too and aslo

apparently Ford in the UK says http://cartakeback.com is its recycling partner

if it was me i would scrap it and get some cash from them also would save you money there .....

have a wee look here

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/feb/14/getting-rid-old-car-scrap

read the "Scrapping" section it gives good info to claim back things too and aslo

apparently Ford in the UK says http://cartakeback.com is its recycling partner

Ah great, cheers for that! Yeah I was looking at cartakeback - no-one seems to have a bad word to say about them!

The only reason I'm not scrapping it right away is so I can keep the insurance running, so I'm going to SORN it for a couple of months then scrap it. Apparently I can get about £100 for it collected which isn't bad!

£100 better in your pocket bud :D and its collected !!! WOW cant even get a free take-away delivery now-a-days never mind that lol and good idea about the insurance .....

well saves you money on fixing it plus saves money on MoT and £100 in ur pocket! theres your car mats etc bought for your new car lol (if you dont get them with it )

£100 better in your pocket bud :D and its collected !!! WOW cant even get a free take-away delivery now-a-days never mind that lol and good idea about the insurance .....

well saves you money on fixing it plus saves money on MoT and £100 in ur pocket! theres your car mats etc bought for your new car lol (if you dont get them with it )

Yeah, there's a guy I know who's a mechanic reasonably local, and he said if I take it over he'll check it over and see if he reckons it'll actually fail an MOT or not as a favour. Might take him up on it!

nice one!
ma parents had 2 cars a while back a decent mk7 fiesta n a crappy corsa model before current and the engine block had a crack in it and was eating the oil!
we took it to our local mechanic because n he said get rid of it fast and because of the scrappage deal thing that was on they gave us £2000 for it lol we were lucky because of the government scheme lol but if you can see if it passes you'll might get more for it!

nice one!

ma parents had 2 cars a while back a decent mk7 fiesta n a crappy corsa model before current and the engine block had a crack in it and was eating the oil!

we took it to our local mechanic because n he said get rid of it fast and because of the scrappage deal thing that was on they gave us £2000 for it lol we were lucky because of the government scheme lol but if you can see if it passes you'll might get more for it!

Yeah my spark plugs are black from oil, but when it was in the mechanic said it'd cost about 3x the cars value to fix it as it's the engine itself. It only has to last til the end of October so I'm just feeding it oil!

lol first oil-burner and NOT a diesel lol

lol first oil-burner and NOT a diesel lol

Seriously, it's using like a litre every week and a half or so!

• Like 1

Seriously, it's using like a litre every week and a half or so!

near the end with the corsa we were using about a litre every 3days! weirdly enough not much blue smoke........ and didnt leak under the car either lol

near the end with the corsa we were using about a litre every 3days! weirdly enough not much blue smoke........ and didnt leak under the car either lol

Only issues I get are it doesn't always start great coz of all the oil, but once it's going it's fine!

Hey guys,

My P-reg fiesta is due for its MOT at the end of the month (already booked), however if it fails I'm not paying to fix it as it's already cost me a small fortune. Also, I have a new ZS on order for October so I can cope without it temporarily.

Now, it's pretty broken anyways (engine is burning crazy amounts of oil), but it's also got a knocking on the drivers side corner, the brakes feel a little less sharp than they once did, and its just generally creaking and groaning a lot and the steering feels like it's got heavier recently too.

If it was you, would you spend the money for the MOT even though it'll probably fail (I think), or would you just go straight to SORN and avoid the expense of the test?

Opinions please!

Thanks guys :)

If it is burning oil badly there is no way it would pass the MOT (emmisions test) as it is, its likely to be worn bores, valve guides or seals, these things are expensive to fix - financially you would probably be better running it up to the MOT runs out, then scrapping it

you could brobably pick up another runner for £500-£600, with an MOT (if you know where to look) probably less than what your present one will cost to fix/ MOT , or just take the bus 'till October :lol:

If I was you, I would sell it to a Fords breaker's (might get a better price) than a metal breakers yard and it will also save you £55 for a MOT :rolleyes:

I took it to the guy I know who does MOTs, and he basically did every check apart from emissions because his house isn't equipped for that and reckons it'll pass for sure.

I don't know where it's burning oil, but don't seem to be getting any blue smoke and to be honest it has no cat to begin with so I imagine emissions will probably be fine.

Also, the garage know both me and the car pretty well, and also know it hasn't gotta last much longer as it's being scrapped, so with a bit of luck they can give the benefit of the doubt on anything a little dodgy :P

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club