Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heavier Clutch On A Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 2014?

masumba

hi guys ,

just traded up to a 2014 1.0 99ps ecoboost titanium model today after traading in a 1.4 fiesta zetec 2012 plate petrol and a couple of things make me think

it feels like this clutch is heavier than my mark 7 car ,it could be in my mind but has anyone else thought the same .

and the main difference is the engine ,talk about chalk and cheese . my 1.4 was reving at 3000 rpms a t 70 in 5th whereas the new car barely makes 2400 revs which is great ,but when going at speeds 30-50 it dont like 5th car seems to vibrate and its happiest in 3rd anything up to 35 .

so is this normal ,like for town driving id be in 3rd mostly i thinkj .

the gearing is miles different to my prev car and i know itll take some getting used to and i love the new one ,its just these 2 little niggles in the back of my head that i hope someone will put me right on

any thoughts appreciated

thanks kevin

ps my proifle is incorrect i have a fiesta not a focus

I don't find the clutch heavy to be honest. And I'm currently driving a polo hire car which seems heavier and is also a lot higher and uncomfortable.

And yes it'll take some getting used to because of the much longer gear ratios on the ecoboost. Unless driving at speed you may not use 5th much. It's surprising how fast you can be going just in 2nd gear

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

I'm using 3rd gear around town, and I never use 5th until around 50mph.

I don't know about the clutch compared to mk7, but compared to my wife's Ford Ka, the clutch in the Fiesta is definitely heavier.

Just try to keep it above 1500rpm - there shouldn't be much vibration then. (The turbo starts providing power at around 1500rpm, so that's sort of the magic number)

20 in 2nd, 30 in 3rd, 40 in 4th, 50 in 5th. Simples ;)

• Like 2

The Ecoboost 1.0T has tall gearing/long legs.
At 30mph I'm doing 1250rpm in 4th and putting your foot down, not much happens.
At 30mph I'm doing 1750rpm in 3rd and putting your foot down, you start to make progress.

To get a shift on at 30mph use 2nd @ 2900rpm.

• Like 1

thqanks for the replies guys .i popped down the dealership today and they confirm the clutch pedal is too heavy as comfirmed by their mechanic when he compared it to the same car in the showroom .could be the clutch return spring ,maybe even a new clutch who knows but its going in for a warranty repair week after next .

getting used to the driving of the car now ,will take time .

Clutch pedal weight tends to get harder after time and mileage.. The springs on the pressure plate get stiffer with age and miles or a combination of both. Age is the biggest factor though.

This means the pedal as harder to push and after a clutch replacement the pedal on a car will feel much much lighter.

Given this is a new car it will very likely be a dodgy pressure plate which will or should be replaced under warranty..

20 in 2nd, 30 in 3rd, 40 in 4th, 50 in 5th. Simples ;)

This is my mentality too B)

• Like 1

thanks all ,i have to say the titanium spec is pretty good ,i was toying with replacing the footwell lights with red ones but cant find them anywhere ,guy in Halfords suggest i sparay the clear bulbs with heat resistant red spray paint ... i guess its an option .does anyone know where i can get these 5amp bulbs in red?

eBay Ebay eBay Ebay eBay Ebay Ebay Ebay EBay Ebay Ebay Ebay EBay Ebay Ebay Ebay EBay Ebay Ebay Ebay

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

hi this is an update on the clutch situation .theyve greased up the pedal spigots and have compared it with a similar car in the showroom and surprise surprise they say its comparable..

well having just driven it it s exactly the same as before i took it in .

this on top of the supplying garage not being able to find rthe wheel locking nut which wasnt supplied with the car is making me wonder why i ever traded in my old trusty mark 7 .....

apart from going back tomorrow and arguing the toss thats its the same as before anyone got any ideas and have they ever had a clutch pedal problem like this before .the car has done 2500 miles!

I actually had mine looked at as well (also find it heavy), they also greased up a bunch of stuff, but it's all the same still.

So I think it's just meant to be heavy (unfortunately)

im not so sure i just drove a fiesta style 2014 and it is so light compared to mine and yet a bigger engine .no im not beleving there icnt a fault ,if i get to the bottom of this ill post my outcome on here .i also sat in a 3 door fiesta 10 ecoboost and that clutch also is so light ,so theres a fault somewhere in mine .

ill be going back in in the morning and get them to do a more thorough check and ill post the outcome .

id laike to ask a question if anyon ehas experienced this before .in case i disagree with the garage and if they say its fine and i say it isnt what would be my next course of action? do i get an independent inspection ?

i dont find it heavy at all, although ive just come from a rover where the clutch is up by the steeringwheel haha.

Also the gear ratios are pretty long but i like it :) i jsut went for a nice long drive down the sea front and was cruising in 4th at 30/35 and all is good :) smooth and soft, i didnt want to put my foot down and if i did, id just slip it into 3rd :)

well they greased the mechanism up on the clutch pedal area and its made no difference .they say its comparable to other cars ! they are having a giraffe .anyhow im going back to the dealer who sold me the car on monday and will attempt to swap the car wirth another they have in stock after ive test drove it ! whether they will or not remains to be seen ,but if not thyell have to repair the clutch .sadly i donrt like driving the car now because of the clutch pedal and for 2 pins id have my old car back i think hopefully they will have found the locking wheel nuts when i arrive there .not getting my hopes up on this either ..

further updates to foollow on what i see is going to be a lot of grief..

well the selling branch have agreed to fit a new clutch if necessary and to fit new locking wheel nuts under warranty ..result .thye did agree the clutch pedal was slightly heavier . mmm

willl update results after next friday

Ive ended up with two courtesy cars while Ive had mine (minor bodyshop repairs due to other peoples carelessness), a Honda Jazz and a vauxhall corsa. Both had lighter clutch pedals than my ecoboost, though I dont find mine uncomfortable to use, feels purposeful. Ive also driven a 99hp ecoboost and it was the same as mine. If yours feels uncomfortably heavy than i guess it must be faulty...

Still likely to be faulty.. You never tend to have luck with garages when go in first time for a warranty repair..

They'll do all they can to fob you off, in this case just greasing everything up and telling you it's sorted - they should get the fact you're not a mug and replace if you go back in and tell them you're not happy!

Fingers crossed they sort it for you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

thsnks dmizz93 ,well ive had assurances that theyll strip the clutch down and ifi ts the pressure plate whuich they suspect they will replace the whole clutch .i guess this is why its been booked in for 2 days .one things for sure ,i find you have to use the clutch quite often on this car specially in traffic so i cant wait till its as it should be again . going in on 18th .will post outcome of the repair

Ahh glad to read about the gearing on this car. When I got it I tried to drive it as I did my old zafira and it wasn't having it. I mean I felt i could bung that in 5th at 30 mph and practically use 3rd at any low speed.

I just need to get used to not changing up so quick.

coming back to your post gillyallan i had a 1.4 fiesta 2012 plate previously and it was hard to part with it ,cracking little car but this new one is a bit special .with my prev car you had to change up fairly quick so its hard having to realise that most of town driving is in 3rd gear on the new one !

the main benefit is at high speeds .at 70 on my old car it was cracking on 3000 revs on the new one about 2300 ,so thats where you gain .my latest mpg was 42.9 not bad i guess

Yeah and sorry to take away from the main clutch point of this thread.

My zafira sat at 3000 at 60mph. This eco sits 2000. Really fantastic. Ps im avetaging 45.8 just now. This is only my second tank of fuel though and have been on a couple long runs.

pretty good mpg that ,i do a lot of short runs so i guess thats why mines a bit lower.

have to say on the titanium i do like those puddle lamps on the mirrors !

Hi All,

Just bought Fiesta Titanium 1.0 ecoboost 125, 8000 miles on clock from london Ford dealership 1 private owner from new.Never noticed any issues on test drive ,however on driving car home to Southampton only thing that i could fault the car on was heavy clutch pedal feel.After having driven the car for 400miles now i don't feel there is a clutch mal-function issue only that the pedal is far stiffer than any other car i drive regularily ie Hyundia Santa Fe 2013,Ford Ka 2007and Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport 2007 (Ford Power Unit). With soft soled shoes it can make your clutch foot ache a little,if this is a common problem i wonder how lady drivers are coping with the extra left foot effort required.

I,m looking forward to see the result of our fellow members clutch inspection on the 18th.

Please keep us posted !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club