Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Capless Fuel System

Mig2012

I have just brought a Ford Focus Zetec 2011 which has the capless fuel system. I've looked online & it says the flaps should only open when the correct fuel nozzle is used but I can push the flap open with my fingers?

Is this normal or is mine faulty?

I can push open the top flap & then there is a second flap which I can also push open?

Any advice on this would be most appreciated

It is designed to only open for the correct fuel nozzle so you don't misfuel the car.

I don't understand this either. All I'll say is make sure it's right in when filling. Don't pull out little to "get a bit more in" as I did. I pulled out slightly pulled on trigger not holding very tight for it to blow out all over my new trainers jeans soaked and clean car covered think there was at least 5quid petrol everywhere. The staff in the garage we're howling with laughter. When I went in the first thing they said was "capless filler?" So guessing they seen this before lol then they went on to tell me that my clothes would still smell after washing and to wash with nothing else. Then they very kindly got me some wet wipes and disposable seat cover to drive home :)

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

• Like 1

You say it's designed to only open for the correct fuel nozzle, but if I can open mine by hand how is that designed to only open for the correct nozzle?

Can anyone else push open their metal flap by hand? I am trying to establish whether mine is faulty.

Thanks all

You can open it by hand yeah, I just meant it will not open for the wrong fuel type pump nozzle.

You can push your finger through the first and second flaps?

If you can do this wouldn't somebody be able to put foreign objects into the tank?

There is a filter to stop that sort of thing and an anti syphon system in place.

I think If you try sticking a tube in or something then ull find that you can't get to the tank

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Ford OC

The fact that I can manually open these flaps isn't something I should concern myself with then? And is something common with all newer Ford models?

Have not come across this capless fuel system before

It is on all the new fords now as far as I know.

You should have a funnel which you can push into it if you ever need to top up from a can.

Haven't seen a funnel, unless it is in the boot.

I may stop in at my local ford dealer to put my mind at ease re this capless system. I was just a bit surprising that the fuel door didn't lock, there was no cap and the flaps that are there can be pushed open. It just didn't seem right to me

the funnel is under the boot lining with the spare wheel kit.

The easyfuel system uses more than just a couple of flaps, the whole system must be engaged with a nozzle before the filler pipe is open.

post-28494-0-87749000-1407967135_thumb.j

You should have one of these nozzles somewhere in the boot (usually near the jack).

Diesel-

post-28494-0-02004000-1407967182_thumb.j

Petrol (2 versions)-

post-28494-0-71591500-1407967204_thumb.j post-28494-0-73370100-1407967210_thumb.j

Well, I don't have a capless system, but what I recently noticed was that the flap cannot be opened when the car is locked, I'd assume this is the same as the capless system - 'when the car is locked the flap cannot be opened'..

However, if someone is inclined to be a sphincter, then I'm sure they could rip the flap open and just open MY cap and mess about, the same as they could do with your capless...

I think one of the best systems would be a locking cap, although it's more fiddly etc it just means that if someone opens the flap they still have a lock to pick...

But then I guess they just drill a hole in your tank and get it that way :lol:

I can't open either of our two fuel 'flaps' ('58 and '59 diesel Focuses) - really struggled to get fuel in following running dry.

Air gets trapped causing back pressure to trip the nozzles sensor when you let it run dry.

I had the problem on mine, had to get an attendant to give me a hand as I couldn't get it to put any fuel in. The knack seems to be to hold the pump nozzle sideways....