Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Tyre Points Inwards At The Top

AlexJ1992

Just wondering if it is normal for the rear tyres to point inwards so they look like they are at a 20 degree angle? I had an accident back in January and the garage I took the car too had fixed at back end of my car. But to me the wheel seems at an angle.

• Like 1

I would go get your geometry checked just to be safe, preferably somewhere with the hunter or john bean system so you can have a print out, free check anywhere :D :driving:

• Like 1

Just wondering if it is normal for the rear tyres to point inwards so they look like they are at a 20 degree angle? I had an accident back in January and the garage I took the car too had fixed at back end of my car. But to me the wheel seems at an angle.

Sounds like negative camber mate,

Ill explain in a second, basically you need wheel laser alignment done costs around 40 quid saves your tyres though,

Ill explain in detail now

My rears have quite alot of negative camber not 20 degrees, having looked at other mk2's it does seem the rears have a fair bit of negative camber.

• Like 1

Shame he's not near me I have a hunter at work and would have sorted it for him, maybe I should offer a service to club members ???? :D :driving:

• Like 1

Yes the shop i get my alignment done at uses a hunter. They are quality

My last allignment shows target camber is -1°17 with a tollerance of 1°17. Mine were 1°44/1°47

Ok :)

The top of the wheel sticking inwards is known as negative camber,

This improves lateral grip when going heavy on the corners as the tyre is shaped for it, but sadly thats the only positive out of negative camber,

Down side is it causes excessive wear on the inside of the tyre,

Because the tyre road contact is not equal,

Results of negative camber saw in image:

IMG_2877_zpsvm1ksnrf.jpg

Excessive negative camber is quite popular with the VAG scene dropped on coilovers stretched tyres on fat rims with excessive negative camber will seriously boost street credit, :lol: people would begin to tell you "man that thing looks sick and off da chain"

IMG_20130930_093756_zpsfa631363.jpg

IMG_20130930_093304_zps60d40bf8.jpg

But riding that low, involves changing the oil sump pan aswell as your filter every 10,000km as saw sparks below:

IMG_20130930_120439_zpsce467714.jpg

As standard the focus has fixed camber bolts from factory, these bolts cant be adjusted, so by default all standard focus have slightly negative camber on the rear wheels,

It generally doesn't become a big issue unless the car is lowered by 30mm onwards or fitted with rims wider than 6.5" track, i.e 17x7.5" or the mammoth 18x8" the wider tyre adds pressure to the inside wall if camber is not corrected.

It is then you require adjustable rear camber bolts cost under 40 pounds on eBay,

Eibach-Camber_zps495c13c9.jpg

IMG_20130117_123845.jpg

Prevent negative camber after lowering they may be required to best resolve your camber issues too.

Ultimately you need laser tracking alignment though,

You will gain it back on increased fuel economy and tyres savings, also your car will be safer when braking in wet or slippery conditions due to increased surface contact with the road.

• Like 2

My rears have quite alot of negative camber not 20 degrees, having looked at other mk2's it does seem the rears have a fair bit of negative camber.

What size rims you rollin bro?

Compared to the mk2 which you used to compare the negative percentage with,

Because all mk2 and mk2.5 have slightly negative camber on the rear which cant be corrected as standard.

Upgrading rim above 16x6.5 increases this negative percentage due to the wheel being fatter

Thankyou for your help!! I will get my car checked out, as I said, I had an accident in january where somebody smashed into the side of my car and my back bumper came clean off and the wheel arch was bent under, I paid cash to have it fixed (£1400) due to my very high insurance as I am 21.

• Like 1

What size rims you rollin bro?

just standard zetec s 17's Len

• Like 1

Thankyou for your help!! I will get my car checked out, as I said, I had an accident in january where somebody smashed into the side of my car and my back bumper came clean off and the wheel arch was bent under, I paid cash to have it fixed (£1400) due to my very high insurance as I am 21.

Ouch!

The chassis is sure to have taken a hit mate,

Im sure it has all been corrected to comply with road standards but to be 100% id have a set of Eibach adjustable camber bolts fitted followed immediately with laser alignment,

You can buy them on eBay,

Link:

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/230625566464?nav=SEARCH

All in mate parts and labour your looking between 80-110 pounds but you will spend the same on replacing tyres due to the current stance.

just standard zetec s 17's Len

If my memory is correct they are 17x7.5 so your camber will be slightly more negative perhaps up to 4cm more negative than a mk2 rolling 16x6.5

The wider it goes the larger the gap difference,

If your noticing it on tyres then i recommend fitting the adjustable bolts for 30 quid mate,

• Like 1

80% of fords I do are normally good camber wise , just way out with the toe big time :D :driving:

I cant stand stupidly low cars :iim:

• Like 1

If my memory is correct they are 17x7.5 so your camber will be slightly more negative perhaps up to 4cm more negative than a mk2 rolling 16x6.5

The wider it goes the larger the gap difference,

If your noticing it on tyres then i recommend fitting the adjustable bolts for 30 quid mate,

17x7 same 205 width tyres as the 16's just 50 profile as opposed to 55.

Mine are fine anyway, no uneven tyre wear etc, i just look at them sometimes and think they have alot of -camber on them. I also think if the ground is not quite level it seems to make it look worse

• Like 1

Cars that 'boast' excessive negative camber just look like an elephant sat on them... well.. to me anyway.

• Like 1

80% of fords I do are normally good camber wise , just way out with the toe big time :D :driving:

I cant stand stupidly low cars :iim:

Some say arch gap is like a woman's !Removed! :lol:

tighter it is the better the ride quality,

All i know is gotta pass the shoe test mate

Fail:

P5060155_zpsm99jugqa.jpg

PASS!!

IMG_0039_zpsjy2iokrb.jpg

Too Much!!

DSC_0877_zpskre6gmiu.jpg

• Like 1

Cars that 'boast' excessive negative camber just look like an elephant sat on them... well.. to me anyway.

+1 the also use the term "slammed" or "low life crew"

i dont care what anyone says i blame monthy python with the big foot, give them all the idea in the first place: lol:

• Like 1

Hmmmm a shoe up the low riders A.R.S.E .

Seriously though I followed a lowered bmw and it had to go diagonal across a speed hump to get over it and the exhaust still scraped, people think it looks cool :iim: :iim:.

• Like 2

Hmmmm a shoe up the low riders A.R.S.E .

Seriously though I followed a lowered bmw and it had to go diagonal across a speed hump to get over it and the exhaust still scraped, people think it looks cool very stupid .

Totally agree mate ive saw honda accord and an Audi A4 Quote: "in da weeds man" aswell :)
  • Like 1

Speaking of car modification and resin, gotta love this episode of Mighty Car Mods

Marty uses body filler and gets high on the vapours "aw huh Electric Space Wizard" :lol: check-it-out yall

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club