Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fog Lights To Drl

mrgrumpy88

Hi guys i decided to treat my lx to a set of fog lights so went ahead and got the light grills and a replacement switch. Went outside today popped grills out no wire for fogs so took light out and still no wire for fogs. So a bit down put car back together and thought oh well put them back on eBay. Then suddenly had a light bulb moment (lol). Why not still fit the fog lights get a drl auto on of kit from eBay and wire the fog lights as drl. My question is need a ignition live for the drl. Has anyone got any idea where i could conect to plus ideas on the type of bulb was thinking of just using standard ones or getting different ones. Many thanks.

It's what I did lol

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Which sensor did you use please.

I haven't got round to it yet sorry. Shouldn't be that hard

Think it means u tapp a fuse with the same rating as the lights

So you basically just run the wire into the fuse

Oh right ok cool. Looking forward to sorting out think will look great when sorted it.

• Like 1

Aye I need to get my finger out and do mine. Got a broken spring to do first

Oh thats not so good would come give you a hand but bit far away mate.

Oh right ok cool. Looking forward to sorting out think will look great when sorted it.

if you require any advice on installing drls or auto dim feature just ask me on the thread here

Always happy to advise and link to required parts,

ok cool just need to know wher to connect the wires when they get here. got this on way http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140866439036?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT. hope link works ok.

Ok,

On this relay box you have the following,

Picture the box as a filter,

It takes in positive and negative from the ignition,

This will be red & black feeds can use a piggy back fuse from ignition fuse if desired,

The white cable is the sensor feed,

Splice it to the positive feed going to your parking position lights,

When the whit cable gets power it will turn off the drls or dim them by 50% depends on your relay purchased.

Your left then with a red&black outlet cables,

Wire these directly to both drl's

So in effect power flows in to the relay box from ignition feed,

Sensor feed fits to parking light

Power feeds from relay box to drls

sounds good. Will take a look for the ignition fuse and use that.

Now that will really help. Silly question what size will i need will this micro one do the job.

Yes the micro one is the correct size required mate,

You will need a second fuse to filter power flowing to your drls,

Perhaps 6amp may say on your drls what amp

Ok cool will order me one of them then. Thanks for the help and sorry bout all the questions. These are what im going to use as the drl. Already came with the standard fog light bulbs in. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181472195196?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

• Like 1

Ok cool will order me one of them then. Thanks for the help and sorry bout all the questions. These are what im going to use as the drl. Already came with the standard fog light bulbs in. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181472195196?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT.

Ok just need to find out what sized fuse the fog lights generally take on the mk2 focus and fit the same size to the piggy back connector,

To be honest the law may have a problem with you using fogs as drl's im not 100

% on that but worth checking before wiring.

If you do go ahead with fitting as drl's may i suggest changing the standard bulbs to Cree LED Bulbs, they are a white 6000Kelvin and 100% road legal,

Also being led they use less electricity leaving them easier on your battery there for more mpg from your fuel aswell, less strain on power more spark your plugs make burnimg the fuel.

And one last thing i want to mention in this post is:

Fordpartsuk.com sell a ready made loom kit for installing fog lights on focus,

Should come with fitting instructions so you can wire the fogs then turn them on/off manually using them as drl's

Heres a link:

http://fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_front_fog_lamps_wiring_loom_f_1599361.htm

Fog lights draw alot of power,

You may need more direct power to them instead of a drl relay box,

Drls are very low power consumption hence the relay controllers having thin wires and small current box's

Id be warey of wiring fogs directly from a drl relay box feeding from ignition i5 could blow fuses or fire,

Best to fit a fog light loom kit which has a relay to power fogs from battery,

Then if desired fit your low current drl controller to that

OK thank you. Will look into getting some of the LED Bulbs will check them out on eBay tomorrow as getting late now lol. Yeah did think about getting the wiring loom but really stuck on the drl idea. Think can have fogs as drl as do see some cars like that.

• Like 1

OK thank you. Will look into getting some of the led bulbs will check them out on ebay tomorrow as getting late now lol. Yeah did think about getting the wiring loom but really stuck on the drl idea. Think can have fogs as drl as do see some cars like that.

Ive got cree H11 fogs fitted they look just like HID and are straight swap from standard bulb no modification required

Don't buy them from eBay because there possibly cheap replicas from china 90% dont work,

Log on to alltronix.co.uk trusted supplier of genuine cree from America selling within the uk

Heres some pictures Cree led fog lights

Image1657.jpg

Image1659.jpg

Image1655.jpg

Ok thank you for the advise. What size fuse would you say i would need for these please. When all gets here should be good to go.

That looks really cool mate. Got all stuff ordered now. Just waiting till arrive then next nice day will get it all sorted. Thank you again for the help.

Ok thank you for the advise. What size fuse would you say i would need for these please. When all gets here should be good to go.

if you check the car manual in the glovebox it will have a fuse diagram aswell as list of fuses, scroll down to front fogs and see what fuse size it uses, it will also be a mini blade,

That looks really cool mate. Got all stuff ordered now. Just waiting till arrive then next nice day will get it all sorted. Thank you again for the help.

Thanks and no problem at all,

My only concern is the draw of power on the fogs may be more than the DRL relay module can handle but time will tell.

AutoStar is a great shop for various amp size of automotive cable, best to match the amp sized cable to the fuse when you find out what amp the fuse is,

Just my two cents