Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Button

Hi guys, I have a 2009 1,6 Zetec (petrol) the blister switch on the tailgate (hatchback) hasn't worked since I bought it.

I was going to buy one from e bay but they all say up to 2009? So I searched it and found messing may cause the tailgate to open randomly, which it isn't doing now it also does in seem an easy job.

It opens with the key button .

Should I attempt a fix or live with it?

Cheers.

Pretty sure Ford did an updated part for this to fix problem with water getting into the switch - may be worth getting a new one from a Ford dealer?

Fitting isn't too difficult, needs the finisher removing first - 2 screws and pull tailgate trim off then 6 nuts and a wiring connector to remove the finisher. Think the switch has a small wiring plug going into it so there's no need to rewire anything to fit it.

If you search there's probably a how-to or guide on here which covers removing the finisher etc

• Like 2

Thanks for the help, I'm going to keep the FSH main dealer so may just mention it then, if they want extra labour, I'll just buy the part.

I'm sure it's rotten it feels 'crunchy' when I press it!

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

You could repair it yourself. Remember fsh is service history not repairs but is it worth the full cost?

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, I'm going to keep the FSH main dealer so may just mention it then, if they want extra labour, I'll just buy the part.

I'm sure it's rotten it feels 'crunchy' when I press it!

Thanks again.

Ive got an electronic boot handle button removed from a 2010 focus if ypu want it,

10 pounds posted on Tuesday if your interested let me know and ill find it,

Came as part of a plastic boot panel section i purchased on eBay a while back,

Not sure how much ford chsrge for them but 10 pounds will cover P&P

Its not doing anything in storage with me might aswell be of use to someone,

Ill do a guide on removing the panel tomorrow no obligation :)

Ive got enough pictures in my photobucket archives to create it,

I recommend using silicone around bolt holes when resealing the panel to the boot itself too.

• Like 1

Lenny, you're a gent! Thanks so much for all your help.

No problem sir,

Part should be with you by this day next week,

• Like 1

Guys, I have just been told by a not too reliable source that you can just pry the old switch away from the handle which breaks it (broken anyway) plug the new one in and it will click home?

Does this sound right?

Cheers

Guys, I have just been told by a not too reliable source that you can just pry the old switch away from the handle which breaks it (broken anyway) plug the new one in and it will click home?

Does this sound right?

Cheers

Sadly this is not really possible,

See inside the boot handle in images below,

There are clips on either side of the electronic boot handle which spread out when inside the boot panel,

Attempting to pry outwards could cause them to break through the boot panel as its very brittle plastic

Image1787.jpg

Image1784.jpg

IMG_20140831_120822_zpsuju1gn1_edit_1409

ah okay, cheers Lenny

Its not a big job to remove the panel anyway mate,

Two torx screws to remove boot interior plastic then pull,

Then sit in the boot looking outwards,

Pull boot door down on to your lap,

Hold bottom of door with left hand,

Begin to remove the M6 lock nuts with your right hand,

Take note:

Count the number of rotation's it takes to remove each nut,

Then repeat the same number of rotations when refitting.

These nuts dont tighten down mate,

If there over tightened they will pull clean out of the plastic boot handle,

So count rotations off and rotations back on again.

• Like 1

It will be even quicker on mine, one of the screws which goes through the grab handle is missing, three attempts to buy a new screw failed! system went down twice and didn't have it in stock anyway on the third attempt, I have the inner plastic handle wedged at the mo to stop it from rattling, must have tried a thousand of my own screws none fit!

It will be even quicker on mine, one of the screws which goes through the grab handle is missing, three attempts to buy a new screw failed! system went down twice and didn't have it in stock anyway on the third attempt, I have the inner plastic handle wedged at the mo to stop it from rattling, must have tried a thousand of my own screws none fit!

Keep an eye on eBay auctions mate,

I bought a 2010 silver boot panel containing the electronic boot button and reg plate light units,

All for an amazing bid of 15 pounds.

Thats enabled me to supply you with the part and loom.

Lenny, you pack a mean parcel. received it today, thanks.

I shall not be attempting it until next week as the Ford dealer is trying to find me that damned screw for my back panel.

Looking at it, what my mate did was slide a screwdriver down the side to press the release clip in, I can't see how this can be done without damaging the handle.

I will do it properly next week, hopefully find a screw to stop my grab handle rattling at the same time.

Thanks again matey.

Lenny, you pack a mean parcel. received it today, thanks.

I shall not be attempting it until next week as the Ford dealer is trying to find me that damned screw for my back panel.

Looking at it, what my mate did was slide a screwdriver down the side to press the release clip in, I can't see how this can be done without damaging the handle.

I will do it properly next week, hopefully find a screw to stop my grab handle rattling at the same time.

Thanks again matey.

No problem, :)

Sorry i couldn't include my phone inside the box aswell :lol: just the box it came in,

I always laminate everything in sticky tape lol

I still can't get that back panel grab handle fixing screw, latest Focus Scrap yard had was 2005 and its a shorter screw.

Anyway removed the 6 nuts and button fitted. Sadly no change, all the wiring looks fine but the switch I removed looked a lot less worn maybe my button hasn't worked for years, the car has 38 k on the clock and before I had new keys cut the open boot button was the most worn on both keys.

I will live with it Google suggests that they don't last very long anyway.

The one I took off looked like it had never been used.

Must be the pop solinoid is gone in the latch mate,

i 100% gurantee that handle works because i tried it on mine when i was changing the panels,

The one you removed could be brand new aswell,

Does it open with the remote?

Yes Lenny, I think it already had a new one, which would explain why one of the back trim screws is missing, So now I have a spare!

It's all neat and tidy back there, as I said, when I bought the car it came with 2 three button flip keys. the open boot button well worn on both.

I think previous owner lived with just the key, it's no biggy really.

I only have remote keys so shouldn't get caught short, so to speak.

Strange! Hard to tell the button was new until I popped it out!

If you ever come across one of those screws that goes through the grab recess on the inner tailgate trim, give us a shout, tried 5 scrap yards and 3 dealers!

Will do mate,

Thing thats killing me now is that i had two panels,

IMG_20130907_193038_zpsad6aad8f.jpg

One that came on my car as standard i cut the badge off it fitted a red led badge light,

The leds later blew so i swapped it baxk to standard,

I had advertised the Debadged panel on here for a few months,

It didn't sell so im sorry now to say i binned it,

Never thought it would be of use to anyone.

IMG_20130811_211855_zps1dcfed46.jpg

Cheers Lenny, it's the screw that goes through the grab handle on the black plastic inner tailgate cover, the handle rattles without the screw! I have to keep wedging it!

• 2 months later...

Cheers Lenny, it's the screw that goes through the grab handle on the black plastic inner tailgate cover, the handle rattles without the screw! I have to keep wedging it!

I can't believe how happy I am to find a screw!! three months wedging that grab handle back up, I pulled it off but then the panel rattled.

Walking round B & Q I saw it, it was about 5 inches long though.

The panel had misshaped so needed to get my mate to almost lift the car off the ground by the tailgate while I slowly turn the screwdriver trying to feel for any resistance.

It tightened up fully!

No rattle, (it was only me who heard it anyway) and I can close the tailgate with either grab handle without risking pulling the whole panel off.

Checked all the electrics and I don't appear to have severed anything.

Tailgate button still dead of course but I can live with that!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club