Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aaarrrrgggghhhh

cmaxer78

Well the problem is back, some of you may have seen before a thread about a possible immobiliser issue. I've had diagnostics done been told was tps, turned out it wasn't , had keys reprogrammed and it worked for a while. Now it's back with the light flashing a code 16. Any ideas what the best course of action would be? Should I take it to a garage to be checked, or get someone to clean pcb ( not sure who I'd get to do it ) or replace the whole instrument cluster? F.y.i it's 04 1.8 focus c max. Thanks in advance

A true woman is always classy and never nasty <3

flash code 16 can mean either an incorrect key which this isn't as you used both keys or a CAN link fault between the PCM and the instrument cluster. I don't know if you're aware but the cluster is also part of the PATS on a Cmax, it isn't uncommon for the cluster to fail. The code for a CAN fault with flash code 16 is U2510 see if this code is stored using a diagnostic tool or try a cluster self test and see if it is in the display.

Typical car seems to be working fine now. It's turning over with no warning lights. I'm guessing whatever is wrong is going to rear it's ugly head again at some point, but for now I'm going to make the most of the car while it's working.

Well it's working but it's not, sometimes it won't turn over but if I sit with key in position II for a few minutes it will start but engine light comes on and works well and doesn't go into limp mode etc. I've noticed a pattern that when it rains very hard my car will go all funny. So I'm guessing that water is getting in somewhere. I've ordered an OBD reader and see what faults it throws up at me, as it's getting expensive for mechanic and auto sparky to guess the problem .

Hi there.

Check the fuse box under the dash passenger side, ford added some kind of she old to protect the fuse box due to water ingress.

You could also try the multi plugs in the engine bay just in front of the fuse box, there is a blue large multi plug this communicate with some of the cluster, mine was loose and chucked up all sorts of problems and also the same code you have got.

If you can get the cluster out check the plug on the back of that also.

Awesome, thanks hun. Will have a nose in a bit and keep you updated. Let's hope it is something simple like that. My hubby remarked that it started going funny when I had to pop up a kerb quickly a while back to avert an accident so maybe something got loose then as it wasn't an elegant manoeuvre. But like I say I'll have a look in a bit :-)

Well I've had a look interior passenger fuse box is dry, I did pull out inside of glove box as well to check if there was any water or pooling but it's dry as a bone. I've checked the fuses and wiggled the wires.

I cannot locate the multi plugs in engine bay, I think I may have to invest in a Haynes manual.

What model c max you got?

I fact if you take of the fuse box cover in the engine bay the blue multi plug is there I think lol

I've got a 2004 1.8 petrol focus c max. I'll take off the fuse cover and have a look then. ;-)

Also might be worth disconnecting the battery for an hour give it a reset.

My obd reader has arrived. Only got one code..... its a can bus error. What is it? And how do you fix it? Is it worth clearing the code? TIA

Have you checked that all the connectors in the footwell fusebox are seated firmly and corrosion free?

U1900 is a generic error, think mine was due to bad ignition barrel.

I'm beginning to think my issue is the cluster. I went out stupid early to get shopping this morning after sitting in car for 10 mins with key in position 2 to start car I pull off all ok on journey park up do shopping. Get back in car another 10 minutes sitting waiting for car to start get going thus time with engine light on get 2 mins down the road and all the warning lights light up for few seconds. No loss of power or anything, just made me !Removed! myself. Any other ideas before I send it off for a cluster repair?

Sounds like a reasonable presumption at the moment. It's probably a bad solder joint

Drop the steering column using the adjuster if you have one, just in front of the cluster ( lower part) the plastic trim lifts up. Pull towards you and it will unclip. It will be attached via the leather trim. Underneath you will see two star screws one each side of the cluster. Unscrew these, then very clearfully with a small flat screw driver you need to get it in between the dash and cluster in the middle and slowly pull forward, it will be tight just don't pull hard it will crack the lense. Try and lift the dash in the middle and wiggle.

( have I confused you lol). It should then drop forward and then you can unplug it. You can take the back of and clean the contacts but is a pain.

Where abouts are you based?

Drop the steering column using the adjuster if you have one, just in front of the cluster ( lower part) the plastic trim lifts up. Pull towards you and it will unclip. It will be attached via the leather trim. Underneath you will see two star screws one each side of the cluster. Unscrew these, then very clearfully with a small flat screw driver you need to get it in between the dash and cluster in the middle and slowly pull forward, it will be tight just don't pull hard it will crack the lense. Try and lift the dash in the middle and wiggle.

( have I confused you lol). It should then drop forward and then you can unplug it. You can take the back of and clean the contacts but is a pain.

Where abouts are you based?

I'm in Surrey. Sounds easy enough but weather it is in the practical sense is another lol. How do you clean it? I'm assuming the standard toothbrush is required for brushing it off? I looked on you tube and they used wd40 but I don't think that would be any good for the unit am I right in thinking contact spray will be better?

There is a place In waterlooville that does clusters for £99.

You need to unclip the lense carefully as they can break, then you have to remove the needles. Again a pain as you need to get them spot on when replacing them as you will get incorrect readings (temp, fuel, rev and speedo ) then you need to unclip the base from the surround to get out the circuit board.

Yes I would use contact cleaner with the trusty tooth brush.

I replaced my cluster and had it programmed because I broke my old one trying to sort it out. The cluster was £90 and the program was £55 but the mileage was not the same as old one, you also need two keys as well otherwise it won't work.

Did you find the blue multi plug?

No but found a blue multi plug in the interior fuse box.

I'm going to check all the fuses later and see if there is a broken circuit somewhere, and put my school physics lessons to the test lol.

No but found a blue multi plug in the interior fuse box.

I'm going to check all the fuses later and see if there is a broken circuit somewhere, and put my school physics lessons to the test lol.

I'm. More inclined to say it sounds like the cluster. Communication between two points aren't matching causing the problem.