Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aaarrrrgggghhhh

cmaxer78

I suspect your likely to need the joints resoldering, requiring it to be sent off for repair.

Its a known issue that was inherited from the MK2 Focus sadly.

Thanks for that. I'll give them a call and see if I can take it in for a while you wait service. Luckily my AA membership covers my car to be transported should it not start. Will update in due course.

A true woman is always classy and never nasty <3

The plot thickens.......

Past couple of days car working great, if anything better then I did when I first got it!! No warning lights, starts up on first turn perfect, except now the stereo has gone funny, I've got the standard cd600 in there, but now when the car starts the display goes blank and it doesn't work, if and when it comes on it displays wrong time, ( I don't even have to put radio code in when it comes on) I thought the clock was controlled by RDS signal and you couldn't change it manually?

I'm less inclined now to say it isn't cluster but a power surge/loss issue. Thoughts?

it could be worth getting a multimeter on the battery and check the voltage at running and switched off. you should be getting 12v at off and circa 14 when running.

I did you are not getting 14v at idle then probably

thats a tad low, keep an eye on it! it might be worth giving it a few revs, if it doesnt go much above that, it might indicate either the alternator is starting to fail, or perhaps the wiring needs some attention.

Start off though by checking the earth points on the car, if they are clean then look to the alternator and its wiring.

I've just changed my alternator. When I checked the battery it was 12.7. When running it went to 11.7. Failed alternator. I had a 120amp on there but got a 150 amp fitted. Cost £160 that included fitted and a recon one.

***update***

So, I had an auto electrician come out, do full diagnostics etc, his theory, although I haven't acted on it yet is , that I need a new can bus lead, apparently they are easy to replace (I'm guessing if you know what your doing) . As it's all to do with radio and ignition etc, I'm not quite sure to think as I have no clue, I don't want to be wasting money on another wild goose chase.

That's not too bad in the grand scheme of things

Hi.

Must be something in the air with the c-max!!!

Out of interest did a new can bus lead solve the problem?

The wife's car has started to play up? The dash is intermittently lighting up some or all of the dash board warning lights on and the engine management light. They then will at any given time decide to work again. This can happen several times in one journey or all day or not at all. When the dash goes, the indicators don't indicate (flash or tick) inside the car but are working fine externally as are lights etc.The car runs and drives fine and external functions I.e. Lights etc all appear to work fine.

Had the problem before, but was diagnosed as the instrument cluster shortly after buying the car a few years ago. The instrument cluster was replaced then and solved the problem, until now! Hoping its a simple fix. I can''the believe the cluster would have gone again in 3 years.

Matt

Certainly seems unlikely to be the cluster again but if it was repaired it's possible. I look forward to hearing if the issue was resolved.

are all c-max like this or is it just random bad luck if you get a fri/mon one

Sadly Ford Focus / CMAX instrument clusters inherited these faults over the years, it is pot luck to be honest.

Sorry not updated for a while. Cluster was removed to run the can bus lead, turns out the multi plug thingy in the pcb had got loose. So simply just had to be pushed in securely and presto. Car driving a dream (so far) no lights starts first turn of the key. A few fuses were changed in the process as the wrong amps were in a few. Didn't realise my model had parking sensors!!!

So after all that I think my car would've cost £50 max to fix if a mechanic / auto electrician had looked at my car properly instead of spending nigh on £500 on useless idiots.

Moral of the story check basics yourself before calling ' experts '

• Like 1

an excellent result never the less, its fixed! and thats the main thing!

Knew it was something along the lines of multi plug. But glad you got it fixed.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club