Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Tddi Egr Blanking Plate

Hi guys and gals, ive been researching that if you block of the egr on the tddi that you get better low end torge, better mpg, emissions is lower, bit nippier, no waiting for the turbo to kick in when u over take and a few other bits. Is this true is so where do i get one from and is the difference worth it??

Thanks

I can confirm that fitting the blank indeed makes the car drive much better, it eliminated the flat spot on my car at low rpm, it doesn't make the car go like a Ferrari, unfortunately the TDDI engines are not very refined thus you describing the "Tractor sound" is the sound it will always make. its been the best £3.50 ive spent in many years. :D :driving:

• Like 1

Hi I have found this on eBay claims to boost power upto 30bhp, smoother engine, better throttle response, better mpg, item number on eBay 141181864728

sorry I cant seem to get links to copy and paste to here

The 30+BHP is a load of old boulderdash but a stainless plate is the right one, it will improve the car a bit as it forces the car to take in clean air only not the unburnt rubbish that passes through the EGR valve. buy it its a must. :D :driving:

• Like 1

so this with a K and N panel filter to replace the stock and one of those Bluefin remap kits will be a good start then? so does it make much difference to the mpg and emisions or like people say keep mpg abit better and emisions down? ordered that part

a better flowing air filter for sure (look into A GREEN one) better flow than K&N and a remap for sure, QUALITY engine oil is a must and im sure you will have a smile on your face. Don't waste your money on a cone filter either, im not sure about your diesel but when I had a 52 plate petrol focus in the air box their was a restrictor plate which I removed for better air flow you can check that when you replace the filter. :D :driving:

HI I will have a look, is this in the air box under the filter itself? I know you can have much more fun with a petrol engine when it comes to mods on the engine, but I love this car, cheap tax, 51mpg you can feel the turbo pull around 2000rpm so still really nippy

I can definitely vouch for blanking the EGR valve, IMO it's a must. I do have a slightly different engine though. Mines a 1.8 TDCi. I thought, why not, if it doesn't do much good I'll just take it off. It's now been blanked for over 6 months now, and I've definitely seen a vast improvement in performance at the low rev range and I'm even getting much better mpg out of it. Before I blanked off the EGR valve I did thoroughly clean the hose that leads to EGR Valve and around the valve entrance with EGR cleaner, (which were totally bunged up with soot), but it didn't make much difference, so I just blanked it off. Instant results and no error codes to report. Lord knows why they put those things on these engines as from what I understand it just re-circulates crappy air around the engine.

I would go for it Charlie, for the sake of a few quid, you haven't got a lot to loose and if you don't get on with it on just take its off. Couple it up with a new panel filter a good service and you will definitely reaping the benefits :). Good luck and let us know how you get on. I'm particularly interested in what panel filter your gonna go for. I'm thinking about it myself ;)

• Like 1

Diesel tuning is the way forward for sure , I have spent thousands on cars, I did on my last car TYPE R sheesh I needed a petrol tanker every 5 minutes lol.

I have only had my diesel 8 weeks, EGR blank fitted as is a Green filter mpg is up drivability has vastly improved, if money allows I will sort the DPF and a remap too not for speed but even better mpg and drivability. :D :driving:

On the filter side of things for my car 1.6 tdci Lenny on here done some research and the green filter being cotton gave the best flow results, in fact in all of my cars I have never used a K&N I have always used JR Filters, I read the review on filters and the GREEN filter TROUNCED K&N...enough said to be honest, far far better flow rate . :D :driving:

Hi guys well thanks for all the info, well ive order the blanking plate, as for air filters i will order the green cotten one. When cash allows i will get the blufin remap kit ment to give an extra 33bhp and more mpg. Whats the DPF ??,

Diesel Particulate filter, unless your road tax is about £30 a year you'll probably not have one. And I'm pretty sure 2001 would predate them anyway. DPF is another great idea done wrong, mines being gutting in a couple of hours with a remap for good measure! :)

• Like 1

My road tax sits at 138 a year which is ok considering my mum drives a mondeo 1.8 turbo and hers cost 200 a year lol. What else can be done to these engines? Standard 90bhp predictied after remap 123bhp and the blanking plate will make it feel smoother and maybe add 1 or 2 extra

• 2 years later...

Haha I have just picked up an estate, focus 1.8tddi. I plan on modding it. It's just a temp car I can chuck my tools in so I wanna have some fun with it. I'm totally new to car mods but I'm keen to learn. I've ordered a blanking plate. I'll look into the green cottons. What about an intercooler?

• 3 months later...

I have the Focus 1.8 tddi 2001 Estate, I have blanked the EGR with wonderful change in performance, I'm not sure about economy as that does depend how heavy my foot feels at the time but I have averaged 40-45mpg so cant be that bad.

Also have changed the complete air box and ducting plus scoop from the ST model, this obviously has larger porting within and the ducting is much larger in diameter, I reworked the ST front scoop to fit so the air now doesn't squeeze between the bonnet and crash plate but is flowing in from the front grill, I have opted for the K&N filter as I use them on my motorbike and have got sentimental with the brand.

Motorway driving shows up the performance better, it really takes off  above the speed limit (allegedly) I'm not keen on the blufin remaps mainly due to cost, but have heard issues with tyre, drive shaft, transmission wear. True or not? really cant answer that, anyone out there able to answer this??

Oh one issue that's bugging me is that I foolishly believed a seller of obd readers that it would work on my car. It doesn't! after research I found out pre 2003 diesels are not required to conform to obd2 so are still obd1! I cannot find any readers that are guaranteed to work. Anyone again out there that knows better on this and can recommend  a reader that works? many obd1 readers I have found do not fit the port we have under the steering column, its looks similar to the obd2 socket but it isn't, it has "dog" ears on the sides, info online is scarce, I already know and use the hidden menus built into the dashboard so don't need help with that, I just wanted a hand held unit to play with. Its the child in me.....

You can fit the ST intercooler which would greatly improve cooling the inlet charge and result in more power but it will require some thought in fitting and ducting. I would highly recommend Mighty Car Mods on YouTube as the lads have done this mod (and many other mods) and have a huge list of videos you can watch.

To answer my own question, I have found a code reader that works fantastically. The F-Super 2 plugs into my laptop and with the software that was supplied with it. It gives me all the data I could wish for! I'm very happy indeed! it even has the live view that I was excited about playing with plus you can read the dlc codes and delete them. This reader is primarily for the diesels and I have read comments that it isn't really designed or works well with petrol. Thought I'd let you know in case anyone else was having the same issue.

It is also very cheap, a definite bonus!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club