Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Video: Police In Unmarked Car With Speed Camera.....caught!

Paramanic

Shortly followed by some !Removed! who speeds through the area and kills someone at the other end...

I don't understand the need for high visibility.. I mean don't get me wrong, I want as much warning as possible to avoid a speeding ticket, which is why for the most part people tend to stay AT the limit, but at the end of the day, IF I was to ever speed :innocent: then I am breaking the law... Why do the police need to be in a marked car just to have a speed gun to prove it?

Such rules don't apply for violence/using phones in cars/no seatbelts etc etc, so why do they need to be highly visible for this?

think its to do with the law that cameras in general must warn people who its filming not sure tho

• Like 1

Yeh I get it, I know the law also states there must be signs out to let motorists know speed cameras etc are being used - which is why you've probably driven on roads in the past that have speed camera signs but no conventional speed cameras (sometimes makes you worry in case you missed one :lol: )

I just think the law is just a bit ridiculous in this situation...and in others too, but I'll stay on topic...

I think its bad if they are in an unmarked car ... BUT (as has been pointed out), I think if you are speeding, then you are breaking the law, you are speeding and you deserve to be fined for it. Whether you were warned in advance about the camera or not, you are still breaking the law.

Its a tough one though, because I sort of agree that there should be signed if they are going to sit and get you with a portable camera. Entrapment is the wrong word though, they aren't encouraging you to speed and then getting you haha

Dan

• Like 1

I don't think the main point of the video was about people getting caught speeding a think the main point is the police aren't following the law/guidlines that they should be

• Like 1

I don't think the main point of the video was about people getting caught speeding a think the main point is the police aren't following the law/guidlines that they should be

But the two go hand in hand... Violence/robbers etc getting let off in the states because they weren't read their rights properly, or at all because the police were busy bundling them into a car to deal with victim injuries etc....

At the end of the day a crime has been committed, whether it's police sitting in the brightest coloured car with a flashing sign say 'Police are here' or whether it's Joe Public catching someone on dashcam.. it's still a crime and should be dealt with as one...

It's all very well banding together and showing 'dem po po' who is boss, but these guys wouldn't feel so hot if; as I said above, a speeding motorist went on to kill a child crossing the road (or a full grown adult for that matter).. What have they achieved by doing what they did? They made the police think about the law which is good, but they also aided motorists who speed in an obviously well used speeding area...

Why should police have to go by rules and guidelines about having to advertise where they will be parked and having to stand out like a sore thumb so everyone can see, when the criminals they are trying to catch don't advertise where they will be speeding or stealing cars.

• Like 1

I'm in the, if your breaking the law your breaking the law camp, if you filmed doing it in a marked or unmarked vehicle immaterial. Only proviso is it is not entrapment. I mean Plod are only human like the rest of us, so they also can be manipulative.

Lets say unmarked car pushing you in the fast lane, you speed off you get done. Not saying it is common pratice by no stretch of the imagination, just saying it could happen, then that would be entrapement,

Incidently the Daughter in Law is Russian, I asked what is it like driving in Russia, I've heard the police are well corrupt. She said they are, you can see them pulling cars over on roads were their jurisdiction comes into force. Accuse you of some traffic violation and give you the choice of getting prosecuted, or "paying an on the spot cash" none receipted fine :ph34r:

It gets worse doing a long journey, you could travel through many police jurisdictions......... Thats the main reason the dash cam is so popular in Russia. It gives you a measure of protection from bent coppers, that and also because there are idiots who throw themselves at vehicles trying to make false injury compensation claims.

I saw one guy wait for an oil tanker to set off at traffic lights, then he throws himself between two wheel axles with only say a foot to spare each side. But the driver was obviously watching him in his mirror and stayed still. All this was captured on the dash cam of the car behind the tanker. The guy eventually got up and walked away, even the car beside the tanker did not budge untill this guy move off. Mostly its a throw yourself on the bonnet job.

I've had an unmarked car right up my back bumper before >_>

cant say i have on various occassions :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That situation would be good to have a rear view camera, so you could accuse them of tailgating :lol:

Yesterday I saw a police van with fixed cameras inside of it. Unmarked! Sitting under a fixed speed camera

Yesterday I saw a police van with fixed cameras inside of it. Unmarked! Sitting under a fixed speed camera

It may have been an anpr van to catch uninsured drivers rather than to catch speeders

It may have been an anpr van to catch uninsured drivers rather than to catch speeders

Need more of them to be honest. Could do with more patrols as the amount of little scroats on their phones around here is ridiculous as well, nearly got rear ended as I was sitting in traffic because he was too busy leaning out of the window on the phone.

think its to do with the law that cameras in general must warn people who its filming not sure tho

There is no such law. They are guidelines. There does not have to be signage for fixed cameras either. However, if signs are displayed and cameras painted yellow and visible, the area force claim claim back a percentage of revenue, which is very low.

Unmarked cars with uniformed officers and recording equipment is commonplace anyway. The only reason they are in uniform anyway is that the law states that an officer in uniform may stop a vehicle. Plain clothes should not, for road traffic matters. If, however, a vehicle is to be stopped for a criminal offence, plain clothes officers can be used if no alternative.

• Like 2

So with this,

I was stopped for doing X speed in a 30, by 2 coppers in a black Vectra and the Po po were just wearing the usual black uniform, can I sue them / claim back my £440 fine plus costs of higher insurance I had for 4 years?

Err no. the po po were in uniform lol.

• Like 1

So all this about being highly visible etc ( in bright yellow garms with a white car with go faster yellow stripes / invincibility badges ) is a load of BS?

If they were on duty with their warrant cards in their pockets then they had all the authority they needed.

• Like 1

Fair enough, just bitter over all of it still.

Gave me paperwork stating I was speeding in 30 marked out by signs and street lights in on both sides of the road and at X intervals, which there isn't, I know this as it's the road I live down.

Then I went to court and they had no idea I was supposed to be there, went home got a warrant out for me / don't leave the country we are after you card, then went back to court 3 times before they even saw me and didn't care, all after the 6 month to prosecute time limit had lapsed as well, but hey UK Justice system FTW!

#traumatic / bitter.

The criminal justice system sucks mate, that's for sure. It's not the po po's fault trust me.

But in your case, and your experience with the five 'o, I'll take your word for it cos I wasn't there ;)

• Like 1

Agree the Police aren't the issue ( My brother and his wife are both Po Po ( Sgts now in fact ) it's the idiot politicians who are too busy making up stupid rules for them all, oh and commissioners biggest waste of tax payers money bar MP's themselves.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club